Thread: First post

User Info Menu

Default First post

Hey everyone. I'm not a drummer but my 14 yr old daughter just recently started private lessons. She's been in her school band playing purcussion for a couple of years now but now she's going to learn on a drum set. So I'm looking for a decent starter set for her. Any suggestions would be great. I don't want to spend too much right now, about $500 tops. In a year or so if she's still going at it I'll get her something really nice. I found a Ludwig (a brand I'm familiar with) Accent combo for $420 w/cymbols. I found a couple of threads on them on this site and they seem to be ok for a starter set. Just wondering anyone had any thing else to say on them or any other decent set.

By the way this is a great site. Every seems friendly. I especially like the forum Drumming for Jesus.

User Info Menu

the less expinsive pasifc sets would also be good, or maybe a pearl starter. both would be nice
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

and welcome to drum chat
    hears a site with some good ones
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/nav...0005+324831+10
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Hey, drummerdad. I am also a stage parent. I started my boy off with a Pearl Forum kit. It was a few hundred over $500 at the time, but you may be able to pick up a used set in your price range. Just keep in mind that the kick pedals and cymbals are very flimsy on these starter kits.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat drummerdad! We've got a bunch of fine drummer folk here. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home. If you have any drum questions, ask away. We'll help if we can.

User Info Menu

Hi Drummerdad, and welcome to Drum Chat. I understand your dilemna, and I would suggest that you pay close attention to Roaddebris' advice about the poor quality of the bass pedal, and cymbals on the starter sets. The pedal, your daughter can probably deal with for a while before she needs to upgrade, but when I got my starter set (I got a ddrum D2 set), I immediately spent another $250.00 to get a low end Zildjian cymbal pack (ZBT), because the starter cymbals were only slightly better than having pie plates.

When you factor in the need to get some decent cymbals, it might be a really good idea to look around for used drum sets (craigslist.com has all kinds of used gear, as does ebay.com). You might be able to get a better set, with some decent cymbals for the kind of money that you are thinking about. One other suggestion would be to talk to someone at a local music store and ask them if they ever get used sets in. Some music stores will take gear in trade on new stuff.

Hope all that helps some.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    ...because the starter cymbals were only slightly better than having pie plates.
    And that's an understatement!

User Info Menu

I would warmly recommend the Tama Imperialstar. Its priced a beginner kit but it has features that would not be at all out of place on a kit twice as expensive. Althought the cymbals will need replacing.

User Info Menu

Why not a pearl export? Then next year if she gets into get decent cymbals and heads?

You can go forever on an export :> XD

Till your pro :P

But you will be spending 1200 to 1500AU. But what is really the point of 500 to be spending 1500 next year? Exports hold their value better than something that would be 500.... You would sell it easier too.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    You would sell it easier too.
    Nah. Its easyer to sell a rubbish kit cos anyone will buy it no matter how unserios. A lot of people would rather buy their little Johnny (or Johanna) a bigginner kit for next to nothing untill they are sure he wont get bored with it.

off topic i sold my kit to a friend of mine who already has 2 beginner kits and is putting them all together to make a monseter kit. But it sounds really bad.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the responses. This ludwig set already comes with Zildjian cybols, that's why this deal looks interesting to me. I also figure I'll upgrade the heads and base pedal immediatly whatever set we get.

I took my daughter to a drum clinic put on by Tommy Aldridge last week and he said to always go with new drums so that decided the new/used debate for me. Of coarse if I find a deal on some good pearls I might be pursuaded. I'll also check out the Tamas you suggested vinnysimmo.

By the way, the clinic was awsome and Tommy Aldrige is not only a great drummer but also one heck of a guy. Great role model for young drummers.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll try to frequent this site as much as I can.

User Info Menu

i would love to see a tommy aldrige clinic. my first real lesson was his dbl bass video he put out in the 80s.

that accent kit should serve you daughter pretty well for a couple years. the planet z cymbals are pretty much terrible. but just fine for a beginner (she wont learn any better for awhile). realize that she WILL learn better and will want and possibly NEED better cymbals if she is to advance to live performances and such. be prepared, as quality cymbals will cost as much if not more than the accent kit.

the tama kit that vinnie mentioned is also a good bang for the buck. imo the tama kits are put together a bit more sturdy than the accents.

User Info Menu

Check out Mapex. They're cheap and good quality. I have a Mapex Pro M, but that was a decision I made and it's costing me a years worth of income :D But lower end Mapex kits are good.
    Also if you don't mind upgrading, a budget kit will be great for learning basics. Just remember that you will end up upgrading at some point.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I'm a drum newbie and I own a Pearl Forum. Its a nice set for starters, for me anyway :D
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Cool First post

Hey, drummerdad! Welcome to DrumChat!

Nothing else I can add to any of the other posts except that it shouldn't be hard to upgrade the pedals and hardware down the road...

Glad to have you with us! (and don't make it your "last post!")
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Welcome drummerdad!!!
    I have an accent combo and i don't believe that will be a great starter kit because is very very starter...
    I would prefer a more expensive set that will not have to change it at one year.
    Look what the guys said about the set,and also add the gretch catalina at the list!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by george007 View Post
    Welcome drummerdad!!!
    I have an accent combo and i don't believe that will be a great starter kit because is very very starter...
    I would prefer a more expensive set that will not have to change it at one year.
    Look what the guys said about the set,and also add the gretch catalina at the list!
    this is very true. if you can go just 2 or 3 hundred bucks more you can go from beginner to intermediate with the gretsch catalina maple kits with hardware and cymbal pack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Nah. Its easyer to sell a rubbish kit cos anyone will buy it no matter how unserios. A lot of people would rather buy their little Johnny (or Johanna) a bigginner kit for next to nothing untill they are sure he wont get bored with it.

off topic i sold my kit to a friend of mine who already has 2 beginner kits and is putting them all together to make a monseter kit. But it sounds really bad.
    True... I guess i only hate the idea because thats what happened to me. Now im stuck without a kit.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

This reminds me i was playing in school band for about 2 or 3 years before my parents got me my "kit"

If she has been playing that long and enjoyed it. Get the good kit straight out because she wont give it up if she has enjoyed things before a drum kit.

Drum kit was always the golden instrument in percussion at our school band :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Pearl Export. This series of drums can be seen as either a great beginner set, or a not so bad professional set. ZBT or Planet Z Zildjian cymbals.

User Info Menu

I second this movement being there is always room for improvement to either upgrade completely or take this one up toa high standard... Its not that much more and if she has been drumming in bands she wont quit Ill buy it off ya otherwise :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters