Thread: Best Stand Combo for 2 Rack Toms and 3 Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Best Stand Combo for 2 Rack Toms and 3 Cymbals

Hey guys,

Sort of a follow up to the other thread on tom stands. I'm pondering an 8, 10 rack tom, 16 floor tom, 20 bass drum kit, with a ride and 2 crash cymbals (plus, of course, a snare/stand and hi hat stand/cymbals, but these I already have). The below photo, from the DW website, is pretty close to exactly the kit I'm talking about, even down to the wrap color! The drum sizes might not be the same as 'my' kit, but it's close. The setup of stands that I discuss below is pretty much shown in the photo, except that the big tom in 'mine' is a floor tom, thus that stand (in the photo, the third tom/cymbal stand) would be the 9700 (in my proposed setup). I know that setup is a very personal, individual thing, but I'd like some opinions about the type, and maybe the brand, of stands to get. So, I'm thinking I'd like to get 2 DWCP9999 stands (two single rack tom/boom cymbal stands, to hang one each of the rack toms, and 2 of the cymbals, and then get a DWCP9700 Cymbal boom stand for the third cymbal. My logic is the having two stands for the rack toms means I can position the toms any way I wish. I know there is a DW stand that will hold both toms, and a cymbal in addition, but I think that limits the possible arrangement of equipment. Plus, all 3 of these stands have booms for the cymbals, meaning I have flexibility there, too. I already have a Hi Hat stand and a snare stand.

I know these stands are expensive, and they are probably heavier duty than I'll ever need, but I do appreciate the quality of heavy duty hardware, and I doubt I'll be doing much moving of equipment (and if I do, I don't see myself doing the moving ). I know some of you might suggest a rack system, but I'd rather not consider that for now. Also, I don't think I'm a fan of mounting rack toms on the bass drum.

If any of you have any ideas about how to do what I'm looking for, in another configuration, please feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance!

Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Best Stand Combo for 2 Rack Toms and 3 Cymbals

Just get DW rack and be done with it . so easy to add when you want to