Thread: Cajon Lessons for Beginners?

User Info Menu

Default Cajon Lessons for Beginners?

Im completely new to cajons and drumming in general. I just bought an LP Aspire Accent Cajon but i dont really know how to play it. Do you know of any online help videos or drum lessons books that could help me learn the basics like posture and proper technique. I don't want to develop any bad habits. Most of the help videos and even the book I bought don't really explain anything. They basically just start playing and expect me to follow along. Not Helpful. Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cajon Lessons for Beginners?

Well, I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but if you can watch performances on youtube you may get some ideas to start with. Really a lot of it can depend on the style of music you plan on playing, as a cajon is very versatile and you may need more playing techniques for different musical styles. So I'd say look up some videos of professional players, and that may at least get you started...

User Info Menu

Violet, try looking up Jen Lowe on YouTube. Here is a link to one of her vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm11EyoOP4g

User Info Menu

You may like Heidi Joubert on YouTube

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cajon Lessons for Beginners?

If you've ever played a djembe, that's pretty much the way a cajon can be played, too. Have you talked with anyone at the store where you purchased your cajon? Chances are someone may know or, even better, direct you to someone who plays them him- or herself...

Welcome aboard!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

What book are you using?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Haven't seen it but DrumBum (the owners of this forum) sells one:

http://store.drumbum.com/skuDVD-166.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobill View Post
    Violet, try looking up Jen Lowe on YouTube. Here is a link to one of her vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm11EyoOP4g
    I second that. She's an excellent instructor.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Haven't seen it but DrumBum (the owners of this forum) sells one:

http://store.drumbum.com/skuDVD-166.html
    That looks like a great dvd and I would really like to support the site but $30?? WOW, Amazon has it for like $13 inc. S & H...
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    That looks like a great dvd and I would really like to support the site but $30?? WOW, Amazon has it for like $13 inc. S & H...

Yeah, to be fair DB has quite a few items that cost more than on other sites. That is a pretty extreme price difference though...I certainly wouldn't pay $30 for something that I can get new for $13 haha.

User Info Menu

Well I could get in trouble for saying this but I wouldn't pay it either, nor would I pay $13 for that matter when you can get just about anything you want on YouTube for free.

I just like to support them. Not only is it my job but I like the guys. They're a good company. By the way, it's $24.95, not $30. Sam Ash has it for $23.70 and they're a mega store. Having worked on and off with DB over the years, I can tell you, they don't make their money on the normal drum stuff like you see in the drum shops. They're a specialty type store with posters and tshirts and harder to find stuff.

User Info Menu

I've bought a number of things through Drum Bum. I just like buying there when I can because it gives back for their support of this forum. I like coming here, and I hope they'll continue their support.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Well I could get in trouble for saying this but I wouldn't pay it either, nor would I pay $13 for that matter when you can get just about anything you want on YouTube for free.

I just like to support them. Not only is it my job but I like the guys. They're a good company. By the way, it's $24.95, not $30. Sam Ash has it for $23.70 and they're a mega store. Having worked on and off with DB over the years, I can tell you, they don't make their money on the normal drum stuff like you see in the drum shops. They're a specialty type store with posters and tshirts and harder to find stuff.

well $30 after the $5 shipping charge, but it's all good. I understand and agree with ya. I love the harder to find stuff and leave the page open for my wife to see all the time
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy