Thread: How to play with a click live????

User Info Menu

Default How to play with a click live????

Well, as the title says " how do i play live with a click??"

I already play with a click. I'm just looking for a better or the best way to play live with one.

So how do you guy's do it?
    Orange County snare.

http://youtu.be/IgdexxL-cmQ This was me when I was 14

http://youtu.be/kKsfh4jfhtk And me just screwing around

Quote Originally Posted by Brain The Minter View Post
    My throw off position is usually kneeling down in front of the toilet bowl... but not always, it depends how much time I've got before it eventually come out.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How to play with a click live????

I don't understand the question. If you already play with a click, then is it really a big deal? Isn't it the same?
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

The best way to play live with a click is to leave it home, clicking away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    the best way to play live with a click is to leave it home, clicking away.
    +1
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukedverlennich View Post
    Well, as the title says " how do i play live with a click??"

I already play with a click. I'm just looking for a better or the best way to play live with one.

So how do you guy's do it?
    You play it live the same way you play it anywhere else.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

How do you play with it now ? I use in ear monitors and a 4 channel little mixing board that way I choose mix and plug in what I want

User Info Menu

I use a in ear monitor with muffs and a seprit pare of plugs for my clock under my muffs.
    Orange County snare.

My throw off position is usually kneeling down in front of the toilet bowl... but not always, it depends how much time I've got before it eventually come out.

User Info Menu

I practice to a click but never play a click at a gig. I rely on 'feel' and visual and audio cues.

User Info Menu

Your in ear monitors should have 2 ins just plug your click in one of them and the music mix in the other. If you can't do that you can get a small 4 channel mixing board and run through that and be able to have a click and music go through there. What in ear monitors so you use ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I practice to a click but never play a click at a gig. I rely on 'feel' and visual and audio cues.
    I imagine that if OP wants to play with a click live, then he probably plays electronic music or music with a lot of samples, in which case a click is absolutely necessary unless OP has a superhuman sense of time.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drmpunk View Post
    Your in ear monitors should have 2 ins just plug your click in one of them and the music mix in the other. If you can't do that you can get a small 4 channel mixing board and run through that and be able to have a click and music go through there. What in ear monitors so you use ?
    I'm using shure se150 and the monitor I don't know. I play at a cuple churches and everyone is a bit different!
    Orange County snare.

User Info Menu

meh, i disagree. Ive played loads of gigs with clicks. there to help the other musicians and singers as well as me. Because drummers do make mistakes, and live isn't the time you when you wanna make them. Plus on some songs i don't come in right away on the drums so it helps everyone get started.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I've played with a click live, run it through my own sub mix and keep it out of the AUX sends - I also do it live (on my own) now and then just to keep my "playing to a click" skills sharpened. Guys in the band don't even know I'm doing it.

In my case...I think the most difficult part is other members of the band who aren't playing to the click along with you. Especially if you have a guitar player that pushes tempos.

I can set my click to 100bpm......give the guitar player a 6 beat intro (2 halves and 4 quarters) and he still doesn't nail it and is usually off.

If I start the song on my own...there's no issues - but a song that has a guitar intro or an intro without drums can get off beat right out of the gate then I have to kill the click.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

PRACTICE! if you do it at practice you can do it live... just make sure you've got control of it. If the click is in your ears, you have to be in the driver's seat. that's all. its the same at home as it is live.

User Info Menu

Tested my playing to click from Tempo app on my iPod at practice. Simple to do: select the song's tempo from the list (I figured out earlier), hit play. I use generic iPod ear buds in one ear, hearing protection ear plug in the other ear. Worked fine. I could still hear the guitars and singer and myself.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    meh, i disagree. Ive played loads of gigs with clicks. there to help the other musicians and singers as well as me. Because drummers do make mistakes, and live isn't the time you when you wanna make them. Plus on some songs i don't come in right away on the drums so it helps everyone get started.

It's this simple. If you feel that you (and I don't mean you in particular) need a click, by all means, use it.

My 1st band was 1960-61. I don't think any of the guys would have known what a click was. Nobody used them live back then and that way of playing progressed on through the '70's, '80's,'90's, in to the 2000's for a lot of older players.

It's like taking lessons. I've never had a lesson in my life, but I would never tell someone not to take lessons. I have said that you can teach yourself if you choose to go that way. I did, and it worked out pretty good for me.

Each person does whatever is best for them.

User Info Menu

Here's a poll.

Drummers that can play to a click live probably DON'T need to use a click live.

Drummers that can't play to a click live probably should play to a click live.

Hmmmm......just a thought.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Here's a poll.

Drummers that can play to a click live probably DON'T need to use a click live.

Drummers that can't play to a click live probably should play to a click live.

Hmmmm......just a thought.

To be honest, I've never even heard a click track, but, being I did OK for 45+ years, I guess I didn't need 1.