Thread: Swords?

User Info Menu

Default Swords?

Anyone know anything about swords or sword belts? I'm looking for a belt that is used to hang a sword from your back. I don't know how to go about looking for one or making one............ Thanks

User Info Menu

Whoa, is your hubby in trouble?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

LOL, no, it's for my Halloween Costume :-)

User Info Menu

usually a palin ol' sword beld and scabbard strapped over the shoulder instead of around the waist. at least thats how i see the sca and renniassanse(sp) fair people do it. i have seen some kinda like the elf in lord of the rings had but i dont know where to find them.

User Info Menu

If you are going across the back then you need to make sure you can actually pull the thing out. Many times people make Across-the-back scabbards and end up not being able to draw their sword.
    Waist scabbards are easier to draw but you can't have as long a blade.
    So,
    Back - Pros: Longer blade Cons: Harder to situate
    Waist - Pros: Easier to situate Cons: Shorter blade.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Thanks CC, I won't actually be drawing the sword, it's just to hang it on my back for my costume.

User Info Menu

Ohz...well thats okay! LOL
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Candlelight Chaos, good to see you back in the Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Swords?

Might want to check out Renaissance Fair and/or Society for Creative Anachronism (two medieval actor groups). Google them and you might find help on getting a sword belt (what you're describing sounds like a bandolero without the bullets, but I'm not into that kind of stuff...)

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Might want to check out Renaissance Fair and/or Society for Creative Anachronism (two medieval actor groups). Google them and you might find help on getting a sword belt (what you're describing sounds like a bandolero without the bullets, but I'm not into that kind of stuff...)

yeah, thats how you spell it i've only been to the ren fair every year for 10 years, i should remember how to spell it by now. got maried there two years ago. and i have several friends in the s.c.a. i love going to thier knight fighting practices. there just isnt much in life more fun than dressing up in armor and beating the crap out of each other with wooden swords.

User Info Menu

Cool Swords?

Hey, funky--

I wouldn't know about either of these groups except that I have a nephew--about a decade younger than I--who is into costuming and acting out (roles, that is, not misbehaving). When he and his wife got married several years ago, their ceremony was as medieval as you could get (given the fact that the nephew devised a chemical formula to light the unity candle! It was the first wedding I ever saw in which bride and groom wore gas masks. )

The wedding cake was a rather large red and blue dragon which Steve (the nephew) decapitated--with a sword--for the first slice. The dragon had been "guarding" a treasure chest full of candy and goodies for the younger members of our family...and the wedding party were all dressed in medieval style...

...and I thought I was the weird one in my family!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hey, funky--

I wouldn't know about either of these groups except that I have a nephew--about a decade younger than I--who is into costuming and acting out (roles, that is, not misbehaving). When he and his wife got married several years ago, their ceremony was as medieval as you could get (given the fact that the nephew devised a chemical formula to light the unity candle! It was the first wedding I ever saw in which bride and groom wore gas masks. )

The wedding cake was a rather large red and blue dragon which Steve (the nephew) decapitated--with a sword--for the first slice. The dragon had been "guarding" a treasure chest full of candy and goodies for the younger members of our family...and the wedding party were all dressed in medieval style...

...and I thought I was the weird one in my family!
    Except for the gas mask thing, that sound like an AWESOME time! Like seriously, a wedding cake dragon gaurding candy - what more could you want????
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

crazy man is right sounds like a blast
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

we love getting dressed up every year and getting hammered on the mead.
    we take two trips a year. one for the kids and one for the adults. i'm tellin ya, those folks know how to party. we go to the ren fair campgrounds and hang out with the fair people after the place closes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    we love getting dressed up every year and getting hammered on the mead.
    we take two trips a year. one for the kids and one for the adults. i'm tellin ya, those folks know how to party. we go to the ren fair campgrounds and hang out with the fair people after the place closes.
    I've always wanted to go to one of those, there's one in Tuxedo, NY that is suppose to be huge. One of these days I'll get there