Thread: bass drum beaters

User Info Menu

Default bass drum beaters

What kind are best for rock and metal? I have the big felt beaters on right now. I have been searching online with no luck as to the difference between beater styles.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: bass drum beaters

i use a tama felt beater , i really like the weight adjustment on it .. i like the DW ones also. some people like the felt some like wood and some like rubber . i think felt gives me a warmer sound than the hard beaters.. but there really isnt much difference. use what feels best for you.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    What kind are best for rock and metal? I have the big felt beaters on right now. I have been searching online with no luck as to the difference between beater styles.
    I use the felt side of the DW beaters with my 9002s.

The hard plastic side has more of a click which metal players might prefer.

It's all good.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I use a Tama beater with a felt side and a hard side, I use the felt side. I think the big all felt ones are really nice for softer music, and times when you don't too much clarity on your bass hits, but just a good low thud. I think the hard plastics ones are really good for metal, and any time when your using a double bass kit or double bass pedal, because you get that really nice clarity between every hit, so you can still clearly hear sixteenth notes, even when your going very fast. Nevertheless, i usually tend to steer away from the hard plastic ones, because I'm not a metal player, i don't like the plasticy sound you may get when you hit it, and i also think it damages the bass head slightly faster.

To answer your question, I think any beater could technically be used for any style, just whatever you prefer. Don't be afraid to be different
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Oh ok. I want to try different ones but the cost if I don't like them is a factor. I know with Guitar center I could probably just return them though.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I think DW or tama but I only have cheap ones that came with my pdp double pedal that dent heads
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Well I got the Tama iron cobra style beaters. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    Well I got the Tama iron cobra style beaters. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
    I've been using the IC beaters for years and have no complaints

User Info Menu

i switch all my beaters out to DW's

User Info Menu

I like the versatility of the big round felt beaters. Nice low thud for rock music. If I want more attack, I just tighten up my bass drum heads for a more focused attack and use the natural rebound of the heads to my favor. I think a lot of metal players use a plastic headed beater for a super focused and sharp attack.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I use the felt or plastic side of my DW beaters, just depending on the music situation. It's only for the Ludwig Epic kit, where I have the small bass drum tuned up all high and boomy, felt strip for some slight muffling, with coated heads that I want to find a big headed soft beater similar to what ShaneRoney has....I believe it's called a Bomber-something-or-the-other. By the way, I've coated heads all the way around that set, duplicating the sound of a jazz bebop kit.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8