Thread: Buying new drum heads

User Info Menu

Default Buying new drum heads

I want to buy new drum heads for my Ludwig element drum kit and was wanting to replace the old ones with evans. Since my drum kit is mahogany what evans drum heads would be good to buy? My Ludwig element drum sizes are 8",10",12",14" and 20". I have evans for all of the bottom and need to replace the worn out remo top heads.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying new drum heads

It depends if you want heavy or light G2/G1 are common I wanna personally try black chrome batter and I have no clue about resonate heads
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I just replaced the Remo clear Pinstripes on my Premier XPK's (mahogany) with the new Evans EC2 SST 360 heads. They have less sustain than the Pinstripes, but sound almost identical to the Pinstripes with a Moongel strip on each head. Honestly, I found them harder to tune than the Pinstripes and not as full and deep sounding with less tone. If I had to do it again, I would go back to clear Pinstripes and run them "wide open" for outdoor gigs and be able to just throw some Moongel on them when I want a more controlled sound.
    If you want a single ply head, I would maybe look at the Evsns G12 or G14 coated. I think they would sound good on mahogany shells.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have always preferred G2s on top and G1s on bottom for just about everything with no dampening.

I ran Evans Hydraulics for a long time for a more wet sound with less high overtones and sustain. Similar to Pinstripes. Stick attack is very defined and quick.

I also tried EC2 clear for awhile. I wasn't really a fan of those either. I also found them oddly harder to tune right and it was frustrating.

I've tried all kinds of coated heads. I just can't get to liking them.

I've always liked how Evans has a chart on all their heads on the boxes so you can kinda get a pretty good idea of what they'll do as far as sound goes. As well as tuning tips.

It's all about finding the sound you want, finding the right heads and tuning them.

I play a 4 piece kit and have just 2 toms. So I like a primal sound with a nice deep plunge that has some resonance.

I would encourage you to do some research on what tom sounds you like based on your influences. Try to found out what they are using and go from there.

Although the wood your drums are made of has something to with how the drums will sound tone wise on the low to high pitch spectrum. Most of the sound will come from head choice and proper tuning.

You can make almost any drums sound good as long as you do your part.

Edit:

My bad, you've been playing longer than I have. So you could probably school me on tuning!

Sorry, real hungover today! Hahaha!
    Last edited by AKC75; 08-18-2013 at 02:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Evans Coated G2 over Clear G1 is pretty common and versatile.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Well I just got back from guitar center and installed my new heads. The heads are evans g2 fusion pack 10",12",and 14" and also a evans 20" emad for the bass along with the evans pillow. The bass sounds amazing and am working on the toms. I am happy with my evans drum heads. I feel I am ready to find a band and maybe some gigs to play.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new purchase, and good luck on finding some gigs!
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976