Thread: The New Drummer Boy's Problems

User Info Menu

Default The New Drummer Boy's Problems

Evening chaps. I have a little issue here with a certain drum, and I have no idea whatsoever on what to do.

I'm a Napoleonic Wars reenactor, and last month I was assigned to join the musicians as a provisional drummer (in the case our official drummers can't show up). The thing is, the snare drum I was given was in a less than mediocre state, and I have no idea on how to fix it. As far as I know, the last guy who played this stopped showing up about a year and a half ago, and since then, this drum's been collecting dust in my officer's garage.

The drum itself is... well, I don't know what to make of it. It's a rope tension, painted aluminium (I think) drum with plastic skin and 20 snares, which are held in place and adjusted with... tied fishing lines. /)_-

So far I managed to make it sound -decently- (still, in the ears of even an amateur it's awful) , but the blasted wires won't stop buzzing. Even the slightest movement gives them an epileptic seizure.

I'll get you a few pictures of it once I get a camera.

And as for the other drummers in my 'regiment', well, they're 12 years old, and know even less than I do. Heh.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some assistance here. Our next reenactment event's in September, and I would really like to have this working by then.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: The New Drummer Boy's Problems

theres really not much i can tell you . id try to find the snare strands that are loose and making noise and either tighten them or remove them . if that doesnt help then id take it to a local drum shop and let them take a look at it ..
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

The snare wires are old, stretched and abused and probably need to be replaced. If your either not mechanically inclined, or don't know much about the mechanics of drums, anything we suggest would be a shot in the dark without actually hearing and inspecting the drum. And you could actually make it worse if you don't know what your doing. I would take it to a professional and pay to make it right depending on how much there is wrong with it. And since it is a band instrument used by many and not owned by anyone, it's probably in poor condition with multiple problems. Good luck.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Without pics, it's going to be hard to give you a decent answer

oh, and welcome to DC

User Info Menu

So I got you some pictures. I hope these are of any use...