Thread: Thinking about getting a different kit and want advice

User Info Menu

Default Thinking about getting a different kit and want advice

I really on the fence with this one..... I'm thinking about getting rid of my c&c kit and getting something else .... I'm thinking dw but I'm open I know I want a 26" kick and then idk. I'm a big guy so I always prefer bigger drums. What do you guys think ? All my other kits I have way to much attachment to the c&c I've only had for about 9 months and have only played it a handful of times so it easier to get rid of.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thinking about getting a different kit and want advice

Go Bonham style, big kick and big toms. 13,16, 18?

Don't know if you like acrylic drums but I think they sound awesome and look killer under stage lights.

User Info Menu

Those are the Tom sizes I'm running now... I've always wanted a acrylic kit but someone once told me they have durability issues and anytime I've seen then listed they always say no cracks like that's a common problem.

User Info Menu

It's hard to give advice when we don't know why you want to get rid of a set you just reviewed as amazing recently.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Wow, ditching a C&C?

What do you NOT like about it?

User Info Menu

What ever you do don't over think it. Drums are so trendy today. Some of the best recordings ever were done on kits without suspension mounts but we are told we need suspension mounts, yet drum head manufacturers are creating more and more heads that are dampening. So which is it. Drums are very personal, you have to buy what you like, what sounds good and feels good to you. Example, Vinnie Appacie from DIO, and now Kill Devil Hill, went with DDRUM Alder shells and hardware mounted directly to th shell, no suspension mounts, and they sound amazing. Other than 8 and 10 inch toms all toms sound resonant. So buy what you like, look into all, but don't over think it. I have played Slingerland, Ludwig, Pearl, Mapex and DW. I loved them all. Now I play Gretsch and to me they sound better then the lot I mentioned, but thats me. I can't tell you that you will feel the same. I am a big guy as well, I pro wrestled, boxed now cage fight. I have drummed at a chubby 360 and A Ripped 230, and did fine on all brands! Drums are like religion and politics, we all have our oppinions, but in the end it's personal. As drummers we are passionate about our craft and kit! So good luck and happy hunting! But once again, whether you choose a $4000 DW kit or a $600 DDRUM Kit, it's about you period! There is no bad decision if you are happy with your choice! Mucho love & respect!
    Last edited by JoeyFunkyFoot; 08-19-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Joey Lee Primak
    Proverbs 30:30
    Psalms 127:3

Gretsch Drums
    DW Hardware & Pedals
    Sabian Cymbals
    Meinl Percussion
    Rythm Tech Percussion
    Vic Firth; Buddy Rich Signature Model, Extreme 5AN

Love & Respect
    R.I.P John Bonham My#1 Influence
    R.I.P Buddy Rich My#2 Influence
    R.I.P Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, I found you wat too late
    but you were an amazing talent, gone way too soon!

User Info Menu

It is an amazing kit that's the problem.. When I look at all my kits it's the least played. It's like having a Lamborghini in the garage lol when you really just like a ford truck. Seriously I honestly just been on the fence about keeping it or letting someone that will actually play it more. After ordering it not really expecting what I was going to get and now playing it I wish I would of changed a couple things I would rather have mounted floor toms and I think it's just me but they do feel delicate to me I would not consider them beasts like dw's or other Keller kits so I'm constantly hovering over them at shows trying to keep people away. I've just been so back and forth figured I would ask my fellow drum brothers what they think

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=drmpunk;554630]It is an amazing kit that's the problem. I'm constantly hovering over them at shows trying to keep people away. /QUOTE]

I hear ya...............I gig with a 1954 round badge snare that could easily walk off.............I've tried gigging with other snares but I like the way this one sounds best.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drmpunk View Post
    It is an amazing kit that's the problem.. When I look at all my kits it's the least played. It's like having a Lamborghini in the garage lol when you really just like a ford truck. Seriously I honestly just been on the fence about keeping it or letting someone that will actually play it more. After ordering it not really expecting what I was going to get and now playing it I wish I would of changed a couple things I would rather have mounted floor toms and I think it's just me but they do feel delicate to me I would not consider them beasts like dw's or other Keller kits so I'm constantly hovering over them at shows trying to keep people away. I've just been so back and forth figured I would ask my fellow drum brothers what they think
    If the issue is your concern for the kit's safety, I'm not sure how getting a DW would make you feel better since they are very expensive drums.

Why not try to find a more "typical kit" that you would feel comfortable gigging with? There are lots of solid kits (Tama Starclassic, Gretsch Renown, etc...) that are by no means "delicate". It would certainly save you $ over getting a DW kit. Unless of course you are talking about the Performance Series, and then that would make sense.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

If you want something that can stand up to weekly gigging, get yourself I decent medium heavy duty hardware pack and a nice set of TAMA Silverstars or Pearl Visions that have a wrap finish you like and for less than the cost of DW/Pearl Masters/Gretsch Renowns shell packs, you'll have everything you need to gig successfully, reliably and pleasing to the ears.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

If you're thinking of a DW Performance, you can get a 24" kick with an 18" FT. The biggest rack tom is a 12". Still, I'm sure it would sound killer in those sizes, and wouldn't break the bank (relatively speaking, of course).
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

if you go with any of the major drum companys top line , you cant go wrong. tama,ludwig,pearl , gretsch, mapex, sonor and so on . you could pretty much close your eyes and pick one , you would come out with a great kit. just go look at some kits and see what catches your eye . theres lots of kits out there that i like , but there are a few that i love... thats why i have the kit that i have , i looked at it in a drum shop and knew that IT was the kit that i wanted.. i took them home that day.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I'm buddy has a shine kit with a 13, 16,18 and 26 kick I'm trying to get him to give up I think that has been a kit I've wanted along time

User Info Menu

Talking about people hovering around your kit, I used to carry a sign in one of my drum cases that said, "No, you may NOT play my drums. Don't bother asking." After soundcheck, I'd tape it to the snare. This actually seemed to work quite well.

User Info Menu

you wont have durability issues with modern seamless acrylic (not luddys sorry luddy fans ..its just true)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Talking about people hovering around your kit, I used to carry a sign in one of my drum cases that said, "No, you may NOT play my drums. Don't bother asking." After soundcheck, I'd tape it to the snare. This actually seemed to work quite well.
    After sound check, I take my stick bag with me.............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

The way clubs in Cali are you never get your kit set up until your ready to go on so it's either in your car or in pieces in a back ally or room and it sucks cause you literally have to hangout with it the whole show so I'm not worried about people playing it as much as someone walking off with something a car window is easy to break

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    If you want something that can stand up to weekly gigging, get yourself I decent medium heavy duty hardware pack and a nice set of TAMA Silverstars or Pearl Visions that have a wrap finish you like and for less than the cost of DW/Pearl Masters/Gretsch Renowns shell packs, you'll have everything you need to gig successfully, reliably and pleasing to the ears.
    +1. I went a little higher end because it sounded like he wanted high end drums, but the true mid-range stuff gets the job done.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    And I let little kids play my drums all the time at outdoor "family oriented" shows like fairs. Not to mention the middle schoolers who play my drums at practices and the actual show for a charity event we do.

If you think about it, there isn't really much they can do to do them other than a stick falling on the finish (wrapped drums!) unless they intentionally try to destroy them.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Sage advice.

User Info Menu

I see two options: Be happy with the drums you have. Those CC's look awesome as well as unique.

If you worry that much about theft, then get a really cheap set of drums in the same sizes. That way you won't lose much in the event of theft. The $$ you save should allow you to keep the CandC.

all the best...