Thread: 3 Minute Solo!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default 3 Minute Solo!!!

I'm not sure how other drummers are with helping a fellow drummer out, but here goes:

I am a contestant in a National drum off competition. I have 3 minutes to solo and I'm looking for any suggestions, tips, tricks, ideas, anything to enhance my creativity.

I've been playing for 28 years to include drum corp marching for 3 years, drum set for the other 25. I'm influenced heavily by Dream Theater, Kansas, RUSH, and Avenged Sevenfold.

Ok, that's me, anything from you? Thanks much!

User Info Menu

Default Re: 3 Minute Solo!!!

drumgod ,, i would think that after 25 years of playing ,there isnt much that anyone could
    tell you to enhance your creativity. sounds to me that you have 3 min to show all your tricks
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Well, I assume you're talking about Guitar Center's Drum Off, in which a lot of the members are probably competing.

But from experience in that competition, I can tell you that originality goes a long way. And really grooving. Go watch videos of GC Drum Off winners on YouTube.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

If you haven't already check out JP Bouvet's tips for contestants and a breakdown of his drum off winning solo.

Tips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2hNTQK9Wp4

Solo Breakdown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LvZMZjjhaE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-UED3ZH13Q

User Info Menu

Structure your solo. Break it down into sections or parts. A beginning, a middle and the end part. Think about how you are going to transition from and to the different parts of the solo. You don't want to seem like, Ok what do I do now and then start playing something. Try and create your own drum theme and play off it. When I say theme I mean are you playing a rock, or jazz or funk vibe or a combination of them all. Don't play one pretty cool drum riff a million time, it gets boring, I personally will not play a riff no more than 3 times then I move on. Also when playing create a sense of tension and release. The way you do that is by changing your hand speed (fast and slow or groove at a medium feel) and sound dymanics (loud or soft). Have fun when you are playing. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Jackie; 10-22-2014 at 09:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    Structure your solo. Break it down into sections or parts. A beginning, a middle and the end part. Think about how you are going to transition from and to the different parts of the solo. You don't want to seem like, Ok what do I do now and then start playing something. Try and create your own drum theme and play off it. When I say theme I mean are you playing a rock, or jazz or funk vibe or a combination of them all. Don't play one pretty cool drum riff a million time, it gets boring, I personally will not play a riff no more than 3 times then I move on. Also when playing create a sense of tension and release. The way you do that is by changing your hand speed (fast and slow or groove at a medium feel) and sound dymanics (loud or soft). Have fun when you are playing.
    Great advice!!!

Larrysperf Guest

Just do it and play what you play best. Simple Drum of is you showing what you got and like Nuff said

User Info Menu

I have seen lots of these and to me what stands out is when a drummer uses a drum or cymbal in a unique way..another words get a unusual sound effect out of it. and one thing DO NOT DROP A STICK...IMHO
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

boom chick boom boom chick boom chick boom boom chick dadadada dadadada dadadada CRASH

Thats all you need to know, right?

-Steven