Thread: Remo Coated Powerstroke 3 Tom Heads

User Info Menu

Default Remo Coated Powerstroke 3 Tom Heads

I have a low end Mapex set, it's the V series. Keep in mind I'm not real good at describing sounds like you guys and I'm not really qualified to compare products so don't go by me on this one. Right now I have Remo Coated Powerstroke 3 Heads on the toms on top and Evans Glass Resonant on the bottom (they're totally clear). The Powerstroke 3's aren't as loud or as resonant as Ambassadors, they are "softer" sounding, but they are louder and more resonant than the Evans G2 Coated's I had if memory serves. The Powerstroke 3's have a ring of thin head material underneath around the edge built into the crimp. I have no ugly overtones due to lack of skill in fine tuning. They really sound nice to me. A nice even tone. Kinda quiet on the 10" tom though, doesn't sing out at me. Awesome on the 12". But sometimes I get in the mood to go back to Ambassadors for more resonance and loudness and the good ol' sound of undampened drums with "normal" heads, so I switch off from time to time. There's no tape or pillows or any dampening at all on any of my drums. If you want nice sounding slightly quieter, less ringy drums for in the house, they're great. I have a feeling that if you played live unmiked, with loud electric guitars you might think they were too quiet.

Disclaimer: I have been wrong before, lol.
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not just as good now as it was then.

User Info Menu

thanks for the update on those powerstrokes man. Im sure some people have something to say about the power strokes, i personally dont own any or have tried any.

User Info Menu

Yeah, definitely appreciate you expereince with the Powerstroke 3 heads. I have to admit that I like the ring that I get with a single ply head, but then I'm playing a Gretsch Catalina maple kit. They have a 30 degree, rounded bearing edge, and I wonder just how much that shapes the sound that I hear, vs. having the single ply heads on a set with a 45 degree bearing edge.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. I know the ring you are talking about and I like it too. The ring that inspires you and lets you know you are playing drums instead of cardboard boxes (my first set by the way lol). You won't get it with the Powerstroke 3's. Again, they have a kinder, gentler sound. I want to say muted but that's not really it. I'll try to get a sound clip up of a comparison. Might take a couple days. Don't count on it though, I may not have a suitable recording from when I had the Ambassadors on.

User Info Menu

I appreciate the effort, whether you can make it happen, or not!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Ok I went through some old recordings and newer ones...

Here are a couple comparisons of toms with clear Ambassadors on the tops and bottoms compared to coated Powerstroke 3's on top with Evans Glass Resonant on bottom.

FYI, my drums are low end Mapex- V series, 9-ply basswood. (Maybe discontinued, maybe called QR now). If you listen and take everything into consideration you can kind of tell the difference on the heads.

I don't have nice ideal recordings and these are from my inexpensive little mono casette recorder using the built-in microphone some months ago, in a small bedroom.

If I was Superman I'd swap heads and make a perfect "side by side" comparison. Any day now I'm going to put Ebony Ambassadors on top and maybe bottom too. Maybe before I do that I'll make a recording with the Powerstroke 3's before I take them off, then one after I get the Ebony's on.

No fair laughing at my crummy drumming!, lol. This is kind of embarrasing lol. If you use Windows Media Player with the equalizer in a curve shaped like a smile and the SRS effects (if you have a woofer) it sounds righteous lol.

Here's a link to the folder on my webpage. I didn't know if it was possible to attach 5MB worth of files in here. You may want to download them so they are easier to deal with.
    (Btw, all that other junk on there has to do with the old game I play, called Outlaws.)

http://webpages.charter.net/starbuck/fordrumchat/
    Last edited by Toad; 09-12-2007 at 07:50 PM.

User Info Menu

OK, I can hear the difference. Thanks, you Clapton fan you! BTW, I thought the drumming was pretty good.

User Info Menu

Thanks, pastor bob.

I get better eveytime I play although I have some days where I'm WORSE, lol. Then I just go mow the lawn.

BTW, to answer you, I'm a Ginger Baker fan and all 3 guys in Cream fan. I do attempt other things besides Cream songs though. Mostly favorite songs from here and there in my life, not really anything new.

User Info Menu

the powerstroke sounds deeper?

User Info Menu

Yup

User Info Menu

i like the ambass's