Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there any china that doesn't sound like hitting a trash can lid?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is there any china that doesn't sound like hitting a trash can lid?

Nowadays, I prefer "small" chinas....................using a 12" now and love the quick attack and fast decay

User Info Menu

One thing I found with chinas is that I often hate how they sound from behind, but in a full-band context out in the house it'll sound awesome.

A friend of mine has some 18" zildjian china and when I played it I didn't like it at all, but then I heard the band play and I was like "oh... that's awesome."
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isaacvining View Post
    One thing I found with chinas is that I often hate how they sound from behind, but in a full-band context out in the house it'll sound awesome.

A friend of mine has some 18" zildjian china and when I played it I didn't like it at all, but then I heard the band play and I was like "oh... that's awesome."

That is exactly how I feel about the Zildjian Oriental Trash Chinas. I played a 14", and from close up I really didn't care for the sound. Too ringy and trashy, not very musical to me. Then I heard another drummer playing the same cymbal in an auditorium, from the audience. I was like "is that even the same cymbal?". It sounded 10 times better from the audience perspective.

User Info Menu

Look into a zildjian "k" mini swiss cymbal....
    Steve smith has used a 14" for years,,,
    its music to da ears,,,
    sounds more like chime rather than a trash can !!!!!
    I love it,,,just da opinion of an aged elder who has heard 'em all!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

In this video you will hear what an 18" Sabian HHX China sounds like and the 18" AAX Ozone.It is a bit distorted but a decent example of what both south like. They are next to each other so you know which china is which since I have to many of the China's.At about the 7:10 mark you will hear the 20" HHX China being hit. Sounded pretty good! He done a solo on this song because of a broken guitar string and drunk guitar player trying to fix it LOL.

http://youtu.be/4pN0GOyFb4Q
    Last edited by Shawn76; 08-27-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

I enjoy the Holy china, it's trashy but it decays quickly. Also I read the whole wanting a china because it's metal before, except I think it was with Mastodons drummer Brann. He never had a china on the first album but he wanted to use one on their second record but he was afriad people would be all "you're trying too hard to be metal" so he never started using a china and still doesn't, and Mastodon is pretty heavy. I don't know if it's true, but I thought it was funny.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

What does trashy really mean? Can anyone describe it? I spend big bucks to obtain instruments that DON'T sound like trash!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    What does trashy really mean? Can anyone describe it? I spend big bucks to obtain instruments that DON'T sound like trash!!

all the best...
    I'd say these sound pretty trashy...
    all of them sound pretty much the same except I think I liked the cracked 12" wuhan stacked on the 18" wuhan for the effect.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 08-28-2013 at 01:35 AM.

User Info Menu

You might like the Meinl Soundcaster Fusion China. Doesn't have a typical China sound, so to speak. Very musical cymbal.

User Info Menu

I'd suggest listening to the Sabian HHX Zen China. It's not the cheapest, but I love how smooth it sounds. It even has a reversed bell.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Sounds to me like banging on sheet metal. Tinny.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I don't know which sound clip you're listening to, but when I record with it, it sounds awesome.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Chinas are trashy cymbals by nature, but the AAX and HHX lines from Sabian sound much more musical than trashy. I have an 18" AAX that sounds pretty dang good.

User Info Menu

I love the sound of chinas. They offer a stark contrast to my crash cymbals in my humble opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Chinas are trashy cymbals by nature, but the AAX and HHX lines from Sabian sound much more musical than trashy. I have an 18" AAX that sounds pretty dang good.
    I agree with ya! The HHX Line of China's I have had experience with has been good. The 14" HHX Evolution is trashy but sounds great,the 18" HH ones kind of trashy but not overbearing and the 18" & 20" HHX ones are probably my favorite ones I have played. They are more gong sounding,especially the 20" then they are trashy.I'll see if I can do a better video later on of the China's I have which will be the 14" Evo 18" HH and 20" HHX I will throw in a 16" Wuhan as an example of real trashy.

User Info Menu

I found one I like. 17" aa holy china.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Thats the way they are supposed to sound.
    exactly!!!!

User Info Menu

Here's a link to a video I done.I done it in a hurry since it was late but it will give you some idea of how different china's sound. http://youtu.be/Ih6KgukFdtU

User Info Menu

Well I ended up with an 18" paiste innovations medium china. $125 at GC.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    A quick look on Youtube and it sounds pretty good.I'd use it!

User Info Menu

It is loud!!!
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    Not a bad price for a Paiste. At. All.

User Info Menu

The Holy China's are nice aswell as the Paragon range. Even the Carmine Appice China is worth looking at for more of a musical tone. I have found as previously stated earlier in this thread that from behind the kit I often find the sound of a china to be weak or trashy yet when I listen back to recordings and watch gig videos I find that they sound a lot better than I ever remember it sounding.