Thread: Bass Pedal Speed

User Info Menu

Default Bass Pedal Speed

Hey All,

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death (NO PUN INTENDED) a million times here, but I've got a bit of a twist. Some of you may recall that I've posted many times regarding my hardware needs, particularly because of my physical disabilities, leg and foot weakness and lack of coordination due to childhood paralysis (I'm approaching 55 years old now). My drum teacher and I decided that we ought to use a double pedal to be able to TRY to get close to what you normal folk can do with a single bass pedal. PastorBob was kind enough, in a private message, to give me encouragement to just do the best I can. I just want to give myself the best 'best' shot that I can.

So, over the weekend, I got a DW9002 double pedal. I'm not sure I'm going to keep it, but I wanted to give it a shot. I think I'm going to try a Pearl Demon Eliminator Direct Drive double, too (I've pretty much given up on the Trick pedal as an option, just too darn much money, but MAYBE the Axis is still in the running). I've gotten up to the following speeds: 100bpm 8th notes with one pedal, and up to 120bpm 8th notes with both pedals. This is using a metronome. I have no idea how that fits in with what you regular guys (and girls) can do, so I'm asking for what you think about those speeds, for a newbie. I can do both those speeds without much challenge, but those are also the speeds where I pretty much 'hit the wall', and can't go any faster. I don't know if this is my 'speed of light', where I won't EVER be able to go faster, but if it turns out to be the case, I'm wondering how limiting this is going to be in my drumming career If any of you have any thoughts on this, throw' em my way if you would!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass Pedal Speed

Can you do those speeds smoothly and consistantly?

User Info Menu

I don't know much about your condition, but 200 bpm (100 bpm 8th notes) is pretty good. Have you talked with your instructor about trying different bass drum techniques, such as the slide technique, to build more speed with a single pedal? Those techniques take a bit more practice, but many people, including myself, find them to be beneficial. Do a YouTube search on bass drum techniques or building foot speed or slide technique. I have a couple favorites but I don't think I can post the videos here because of forum rules.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

To Redneck...yes, I'm pretty smooth with those.

To ljmarch, we haven't gotten past the very basics, yet. I can ask tomorrow at my lesson.

What I am finding is that it's actually easier to do the single pedal, at least in terms of balancing my body. Because of the years ago paralysis, my muscle mass is oddly distributed, so, while I know it's just natural for all you 'normal' guys to be able to balance your bodies while pounding away on 2 pedals simultaneously, I have to situate my body just so, in order to be able to do the double pedal thing. It's doable, but I have to lean back beyond 90 degrees, which is a bit unnatural. I can still use the sticks, but it's odd. yes, I know I'll have the same issue with the Hi Hat pedal, so I have to find a way to deal with it. Ultimately, I'm thinking I'd like to stick primarily with a single pedal (due to the balance issue), but have that second one there to use when I need it.

But yeah, it's about 200 bpm with the single, 240 with the double. I can only dream of higher rates, but who knows, with time?
    Last edited by cabasner; 08-26-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    I'm impressed that with only a little bit of extra practice, I'm finding that my single pedal speed is up to 110bpm 8th notes (220bpm) and 160bpm 8th notes (320bpm) with the double pedal. After talking to my drum teacher, I'm less concerned about my balance than I was, as he said that most folks have issues with balancing when doing the double pedal thing, at first. I'm almost feeling like the balance isn't quite as big of an issue now, perhaps because I am, as he told me, getting used to it. My personal circumstances are going to keep me away from my snare/hi hat/bass drum 'kit' for 3-4 days per week, but I've rigged up a practice 'pad' so I'll at least be able to work on the pedals during each week's 'hiatus'. I'm still wondering where these kinds of speeds put me compared to you normal folks. My teacher tells me that high 90s to low 120s is where I probably need to be for most music, and if that's true, I don't feel so anxious about the pedals horrendously limiting my drumming future!

User Info Menu

^Awesome news to read! Keep up using the metronome. It won't be long until you'll reach another benchmark!