Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my drum teacher

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eons View Post
    One teacher I had taught me straight through two books page by page, every time I went in I knew exactly what we where going to do. He made me play everything to a metronome even when I couldn't really play what he wanted me to yet and I would tell him I trying to figure it out he would still be like ummm yea thats not on time. He also told me he like students that just do what he says so he can just sit back and say ok good job turn to the next page. He would also get really aggravated really fast for no reason I could see other than I couldn't learn fast enough for him. Anyways one day he started arguing with me and went on an ego trip saying how he's been play for like 40 years and hows he's taught blind kids and kids with disabilities ( pretty trying to put me down saying they where better students than me). So I stopped taking lessons from him that day. Sorry to get off topic with my rant but pretty much a teacher like that is way to structured for me and I feel like when they go page by page through a book and don't really say much I could easily be doing better by myself.

With the teacher I have now In the beginning he taught me exercises and we worked a lot in Stick Control. Now he most always ask me what I want to learn but he will still write out the stuff I want to learn or we will do related things out of books. Some days he has stuff already planned out for me but on days when I don't really have anything in particular on my mind that I want to learn he always has something for me to do still. Anyways I just thought I would share this because since I've had experience with a very structured teacher and a more relaxed one and I think a happy median is always the best. After your past the beginning stages in learning I really see no point in having really structured lessons going straight through a book when you could easily do that by yourself.

Sorry for the bad grammar I had to type this fast.*

stick control is THE book.

User Info Menu

I have Stick Control lying around somewhere, but it seems so difficult as I get through it. I still don't know any rudiments but the triplet and paradiddle lol. I think I'm definately gonna see about another teacher though, just to see where real lessons can get me.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

thanks for that Eons, that defenatly opened my eyes, im glad you dont have a teacher like that anymore.

your new teacher sounds a bit like mine, giving me choices and stuff, and he still has a book we look at once and awhile. but your teacher seems like DA bomb! again thanks for the story Eons