Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my drum teacher

User Info Menu

Default my drum teacher

alright heres the deal. Im not sure if im getting all my moneys worth out of my teacher, hes a good guy and all and i like talkin to him about stuff and hes confortable to play with and all, plus he helps me to get motivated.. which i guess should be the reason why i should stay in the lessons. But he always asks me "do you want to learn anything" like every time im there and I almost always say no. It just seems like hes taking the easy way out by saying that. this one is for u drum teachers out there >> shouldnt he have things planned out for his students to learn based on there skill level? i dont think thats asking to much is it? anways just tell me if this guy just wants the money, or i shouls stay with him..

User Info Menu

Lafirin, if you're not comfortable, then there is a problem there. You might talk to him straight up about what you need, as a student. Tell him that you need a bit more structure. He may be a good teacher that has had the experience of students leaving because that didn't "learn the thing that they wanted to learn." If so, he might be trying to be flexible, when you are a student that needs structure. Just tell him that you appreciate him trying to make sure that you are learning what you want, but that you feel the need for a more structured approach.

If you give him the benefit of the doubt and talk to him, and then he still doesn't go with more structured lessons for you, then tell him that you think he's a good teacher, but not really the teacher for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    But he always asks me "do you want to learn anything" like every time im there and I almost always say no.
    Why do you have a teacher then? He can only tach you if you want to learn. He is probably doing this because he wants you to have the oppertunity to learn what you want to learn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Lafirin, if you're not comfortable, then there is a problem there. You might talk to him straight up about what you need, as a student. Tell him that you need a bit more structure. He may be a good teacher that has had the experience of students leaving because that didn't "learn the thing that they wanted to learn." If so, he might be trying to be flexible, when you are a student that needs structure. Just tell him that you appreciate him trying to make sure that you are learning what you want, but that you feel the need for a more structured approach.

If you give him the benefit of the doubt and talk to him, and then he still doesn't go with more structured lessons for you, then tell him that you think he's a good teacher, but not really the teacher for you.
    that is a good idea PB, but the thing is hes already told me before, hes only been teaching for about 2 years and he hasnt really found a steady and solid way to teach yet, and hes had other things going on which hinders his ablility to provide better and more structured teaching lessons for his students.

well thing is vinny hes been asking me what i want to learn everyday and well, unless he forgets who i am everyweek, i dont know why he asks that all the time. ill give him credit for him to give me choices.. i dunno, hes teaching just insnt structured enough. the things he does with me in there i could just ask you guys no problem. theres another teacher about 10 mins away from him and hes been teaching for many years, and has had TONS of different teachers teach him and i think he would be better for me, only problem his shedual doesnt fit mine. i just think this other guy is a good idea because he is a more rounded teacher.

User Info Menu

Sounds to me like you may want to look around for another teacher. Otherwise, like PB said, communicate with him and let him know that you would like the lessons to be more structured. Say it nicely, but indeed say it. Otherwise, he won't know that you're not content. I'm sure he means well but this is where communication is extremely important. If he can't deliver, you should look elsewhere.

User Info Menu

okay, ill try it, for some reason i feal a bit uneasy because i dont want to insult him or anything, but thats an issue for in all in its self. so ill go talk to him on tuesday.

User Info Menu

alright heres the deal. Im not sure if im getting all my moneys worth out of my teacher, hes a good guy and all and i like talkin to him about stuff and hes confortable to play with and all, plus he helps me to get motivated.. which i guess should be the reason why i should stay in the lessons. But he always asks me "do you want to learn anything" like every time im there and I almost always say no. It just seems like hes taking the easy way out by saying that. this one is for u drum teachers out there >> shouldnt he have things planned out for his students to learn based on there skill level? i dont think thats asking to much is it? anways just tell me if this guy just wants the money, or i shouls stay with him..
    He should have a lesson laid out for you ready to go, for your level, he should be giving you excersises to practice at home, you should absolutely feel comfortable around him or you are wasting your money, if he is not doing this, find a different teacher fast.

User Info Menu

an issue for me*

User Info Menu

Cool My Drum Teacher

I don't know if your teacher is being serious or sarcastic.

It sounds like he's got a few lessons to learn, pun intended. It could be that he's overextended himself--especially if he's a young man.

There are four questions I would ask were he my teacher:

1) Is he playing regularly in public?
    2) How long has he taught drumming?
    3) Is he actively studying percussion?
    4) Is he comfortable teaching drumming?

I've been spoiled by my drum teacher; he's studied percussion since he was 17; he's run a drum shop since 1963, and he's taught percussion right from the start. He has played actively almost from the beginning...and still pulls a few gigs even today.

And the fourth question is important because some people learn drumming--and play killer drums--but can't teach worth a hoot. Some people have trouble explaining what they learn; some don't interact well with others (which seems to be the case with you, Lafirin); and some don't have the discipline to teach.

Don't be afraid to change teachers. He's not the only drum teacher around, man...and if this dude isn't working for you, it's not the end of the world. Don't let him screw up your drumming or get you so discouraged that you give up!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

why do you say no when he asks you if you want to learn anything? ask him if he wants to learn how to count his checks disappearing if he doesnt get structured

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I don't know if your teacher is being serious or sarcastic.

It sounds like he's got a few lessons to learn, pun intended. It could be that he's overextended himself--especially if he's a young man.

There are four questions I would ask were he my teacher:

1) Is he playing regularly in public?
    2) How long has he taught drumming?
    3) Is he actively studying percussion?
    4) Is he comfortable teaching drumming?

I've been spoiled by my drum teacher; he's studied percussion since he was 17; he's run a drum shop since 1963, and he's taught percussion right from the start. He has played actively almost from the beginning...and still pulls a few gigs even today.

And the fourth question is important because some people learn drumming--and play killer drums--but can't teach worth a hoot. Some people have trouble explaining what they learn; some don't interact well with others (which seems to be the case with you, Lafirin); and some don't have the discipline to teach.

Don't be afraid to change teachers. He's not the only drum teacher around, man...and if this dude isn't working for you, it's not the end of the world. Don't let him screw up your drumming or get you so discouraged that you give up!
    yeah kevin im with yea there

well BB, to answer those four questions he does play in public, but im not sure how often, im guess not that often, but he does play in public. hes taught drums for about 2 years. he is studying reality right now.. hes trying to balance drumming and a new career in the reality buisniess.. he looks pretty corfortable when hes teaching me. i might just go see this other guy and see if i can figure out a good time to see him, oh and one more thing, my drum teacher raised the fee 2.50 cents so now its 17.50 every half hour.

User Info Menu

I pay $20.00 per lesson, so the going rate isn't too bad, if you are getting what you need. Seriously, the next time he asks you if there is anything you want to learn, it is the perfect time to bring up the idea of more structure. if he doesn't respond to it, then you know that you will have to look for someone else to teach you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

i think pbs right buddy, bring up structure next time, if that doesnt work out, you could find another teacher or pick up an instructanl viedo and go the self tought route.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

okay, ill do that. but i did forget to metion that he gave me a book to work on and he checks that every week to see how im doing. so its not like he just sits there lol.

User Info Menu

Well, that's different. Are you working the lessons that he assigns? Does he go over those when he's there, and is he then asking if there is anything else you want to learn?

I'm wondering if you didn't let slip what may really be bothering you; the raising of the hourly rate. Is that the real issue? Have you questioned whether he's worth that much?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    why do you say no when he asks you if you want to learn anything?
    Give the guy a brake; it isn't easy telling someone what you want to be taught when you don't know what's out there to learn.
    Although Lafirin it wouldn't be a bad idea to do some research.
    Who knows when you ask him to teach you some fills he'll be a genius in it.
    But then again after two years of teaching and still not being able to put some structure in the lessons…
    To me this shows lack of commitment hence motivation, could be he’s just in it to make some quick easy bucks.

I’m not saying that’s the case, but be wise to keep it in mind.

ask him if he wants to learn how to count his checks disappearing if he doesnt get structured
    Hehe

Indeed, you're the one handing over the check.
    his feelings aren’t relevant.

User Info Menu

okay, ill do that. but i did forget to metion that he gave me a book to work on and he checks that every week to see how im doing. so its not like he just sits there lol.

forget what i just said

User Info Menu

Wow drum teachers in the US are expensive! I pay 250php per hour.
    one dollar is 50php, so I pay 5$ per hour LOL
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

My first and only teacher which lasted one and a half lessons told me that the paradiddle was THE most important object in all of drumming and if I didn't have it down within the first two weeks, I wasn't a natural drummer lol.
    He also told me that the cover band he played with, Back Feet or something like that, had to learn 6 Slipknot songs over one weekend. And of course, he had his parts done first lol.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

May be he does not have a system yet since he's been teaching only for a short period of time. From what I've seen, usually the one's teaching for a long time or connected to an academic institution are structured. Your instructor is totally opposite mine since I am being taught using Rothman's book of drumming page by page and I can only ask or request certain things if there is enough time after the lesson. If I want to play something else, he'll devote a separate time spot but not at the expense of the planned lesson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Wow drum teachers in the US are expensive! I pay 250php per hour.
    one dollar is 50php, so I pay 5$ per hour LOL
    Maybe drum teachers in the Philippines are just that cheap?!

User Info Menu

i teach in two different phases. rudimental drumming and drumset technique.
    for beginner students it is all laid out in a curiculum, for drumset technique i have my intermediate students decide what and how they want to learn as some want to learn death metal and others want metal and punk...ect.

User Info Menu

If he is working through a book with you, and that book is well laid out and you are progressing as a drummer by working through it then in fact he has a lessen plan. He is teaching you that particular drum method as it's laid out in the book. It sounds like he is trying to keep it interesting by asking you what additionally you would like to learn.

I would do a little research in the form of listening to and watching a lot of drummers. Then I would be prepared when he asks is there anything that you want to learn to be able to say "Yea I really like this beat (or fill) that I heard on such and such a song can you teach it to me.

The teacher should be aware of what your goals are as a drummer, and he should be helping you progress towards meeting those goals. If you are making sufficient progress towards meeting those goals (provided you have communicated them to him) then he is doing his job. If you aren't progressing towards meeting your goals as a drummer then find another teacher. It's all about results for your money. If your making progress and you're happy with the results of the lessens great. If not make sure he knows what you want out of your lessens, then if you still aren't making progress find another teacher.
    Last edited by Church Drummer; 09-13-2007 at 04:11 PM.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

iv thought this over. and I know the fact that he higherd his lessons isnt a real issue for me, i mean im reading and doing all the exersises in the book and everything and hes motivating me to get better at rudiments and just practicing in general, i think im being a little fussy thats all. I'm gonna make the effort to find out what i want to learn like you guys suggested like fills and beats and stuff.

User Info Menu

One teacher I had taught me straight through two books page by page, every time I went in I knew exactly what we where going to do. He made me play everything to a metronome even when I couldn't really play what he wanted me to yet and I would tell him I trying to figure it out he would still be like ummm yea thats not on time. He also told me he like students that just do what he says so he can just sit back and say ok good job turn to the next page. He would also get really aggravated really fast for no reason I could see other than I couldn't learn fast enough for him. Anyways one day he started arguing with me and went on an ego trip saying how he's been play for like 40 years and hows he's taught blind kids and kids with disabilities ( pretty trying to put me down saying they where better students than me). So I stopped taking lessons from him that day. Sorry to get off topic with my rant but pretty much a teacher like that is way to structured for me and I feel like when they go page by page through a book and don't really say much I could easily be doing better by myself.

With the teacher I have now In the beginning he taught me exercises and we worked a lot in Stick Control. Now he most always ask me what I want to learn but he will still write out the stuff I want to learn or we will do related things out of books. Some days he has stuff already planned out for me but on days when I don't really have anything in particular on my mind that I want to learn he always has something for me to do still. Anyways I just thought I would share this because since I've had experience with a very structured teacher and a more relaxed one and I think a happy median is always the best. After your past the beginning stages in learning I really see no point in having really structured lessons going straight through a book when you could easily do that by yourself.

Sorry for the bad grammar I had to type this fast.*