Thread: Double Kick & Balance. Need Help.

User Info Menu

Default Double Kick & Balance. Need Help.

Hello

I have been playing double bass for about 3 years now and still struggle to get above 80bpm for anything longer than 8 Nd beats. I believe it may be to do with balance. Because when just playing with one foot, I can play at 110bpm quite comfortably for about a minute, but as soon as it comes to using both feet I literally can't even hit the bass drum. It is very frustrating and now every time I attempt i just get pissed of and don't play for the rest of the day. Does anyone have any insight into this? I have tried many settings on my peddles and distances from my peddles.

I should note that about 1 in every 10 days i am able to do it for whatever reason. And I also have scoliosis(curvature of the spine), but it is only mild so I don't think that's the problem.

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double Kick & Balance. Need Help.

What s your seat like? This probably has more to do with your throne and possibly its height than anything else.

User Info Menu

Seems like when it comes to drumming, I generally tend to have better days than others. Don't know if it's lack of sleep or mood or what, but some days I think I've found my groove, others, it's like total lack of coordination. I try not to get frustrated on those days, but I agree, it's not easy to maintain.

Maybe adjust the throne up so you're more on top of the situation? Or maybe try shifting position a little forward? Might be a matter of finding the optimum center of gravity...
    Last edited by Cap'n Crunch; 08-30-2013 at 05:17 AM.

User Info Menu

I air drum sometimes that I think helps and listen to "One" from Metallica that should inspire you. Do not get discourage, it will come. I finally got into a band after wanting it for 31 years. Just saying you will get it not waiting 31 years to get it. Practice just the double bass part only no hands.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Check your throne height, as mentioned above.

If you're too high, you'll be unable to plant your feet properly on the pedals.

Good luck.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in name only View Post
    Check your throne height, as mentioned above.

If you're too high, you'll be unable to plant your feet properly on the pedals.

Good luck.
    I agree with all above who mentioned throne height. Typically, the thighs are parallel with the floor. Sometimes, shifting your weight to the back of the throne can help with balance too.

User Info Menu

Also look into a throne with a backrest.

User Info Menu

good advice from above..but don't sell yourself short..how many times are you going to play the entire song with DBL at 110 bpm?
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

The biggest change that may work for your balance problem is in twin double pedals
    Check out the Sleishman twins and the Sonor twins: two matching pedals on either side of the kick beater assembly. They're a bit more expensive than most doubles but unique in that they allow the drummer to sit centered behind the kick vs the usual off-centered to the left.
    Last edited by slinglander; 08-30-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Text
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice, i'm looking into getting a new throne which can go lower than the one I have at the moment, because I still feel a bit high even when its on the lowest possible height.

User Info Menu

Hey Deimos,

I'd sent you a private message some time ago regarding this thread, never heard from you, which is fine, but wondering if you've had any success in addressing your balance problem. Please let us know what's going on!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    listen to "One" from Metallica that should inspire you
    +1
    Late 90's Premier APK in White Heat
    11x12 Power Tom
    12x13 Power Tom
    13x14 Power Tom
    16x16 Floor Tom
    2X (22x16) Bass Drums

Looking for 10X9 Power Tom (White)

User Info Menu

Throne height +1, I think that what everyone said is correct. Regarding balance, when I started working on left foot independence for the hi-hat I found out that without realizing it I was constantly putting weight on my left foot when I played, and as a result my balance was terrible when trying to do anything with both feet. What you may want to do is practice a bunch of bass drum patterns with consistent quarter notes and then eighth notes on the hi-hat with your left foot, that might straighten up your balance.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

yeah I tend to sit on the higher side because I also play heels up so this helps me gain leverage I feel.

User Info Menu

Resurrecting an old thread, but OK I will play.
    I have the opposite approach to seat high. I sit quite low, my thighs stay near level, maybe a 4 degree downward slant. I sit firmly on my butt and use my stomach and trunk muscles for balance whilst exerting zero force on my feet for balance. My feet hang in the air at all times. I look at it like this, how well can you play snare drum while using your hands to hold yourself up. A good saddle seat helps with this too giving your butt a better stable base to allow the muscles to react.
    Quite scientific, but if you doubt me,take a good look at Vinnie, Weckl and Donati and tell me I am wrong.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

^Dave Weckl sat lower in his younger days but look at him now... his seat is definitely up in a much higher position.

Vinnie Paul yeah he definitely sits low lol

For me though I feel like I'm in more control over my drums when I sit above them more.. when I sit low I feel like my drums have more control over me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^Dave Weckl sat lower in his younger days but look at him now... his seat is definitely up in a much higher position.

Vinnie Paul yeah he definitely sits low lol

For me though I feel like I'm in more control over my drums when I sit above them more.. when I sit low I feel like my drums have more control over me.
    Very true. I think Dave has also been trying to re invent himself a bit too, he was so good so quick, I would think changing how you approach everything would be the only solution. He is playing more matched grip because of hand problems too. But when you are at such a skill level, making things fresh and different is a tough goal regardless. Look at Peart after studying with Gruber. He took the idea, but he kept all his old set ups and technique still, and his playing really did not change, if anything, I think he got worse, or more stiff when he was trying to do the opposite.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

This definitely sounds like a balance issue. Have you tried practicing getting your left foot/leg stronger? You may also want to play with the adjustments on your throne.

The biggest mistake I see people make with double bass is focusing on the speed too much. I give the same advice for rudiments as I do for double bass. Practice everything slow and keep it there. Eventually, you will be able to obtain almost any speed because your brain and muscles fully understand what it is you are playing.

Also, practicing rudiments with your feet is a very good idea as well. Sure, you're probably not going to be playing paradiddles with the kick drum during a performance, but it is good to help you develop your weaker limb.

Eventually, you will be able to do anything you ask of your legs when you think of something.

I know you say you've been playing for 3 years, but if you haven't improved, then it's time to focus on your technique. If you're not using good technique, you will always hit a brick wall with the development of your skills.

I recall Mike Mangini saying that it took him 10 years to become good at double bass.

Just food for thought.