Thread: need a new drum teacher.

User Info Menu

Default need a new drum teacher.

So for the 2nd or 3rd time in two months my former drum teacher was a no show without a phone call. Guess who isn't getting anymore of my money.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: need a new drum teacher.

that sucks man. sounds like its time to get a new one.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

go to a music school at least you know they turn up

User Info Menu

Well my oldest wants to play trombone and the music store does lessons for everything and rentals. So probably get her trombone and get lessons there. Or hit up this guy at work. Said he would do it, now have to see if he was serious.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I don't know what part of Ca. you're in, PM. If you are up in the Sacramento area, I can recommend a really good teacher.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

If your going to take your kid to lessons I would see if you can find someone their that has the same time slot or there is always online

User Info Menu

Kid is doing it through school band
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Man, any one who says they're a drum teacher and does two or three no-shows with no phone call or anything has some gall calling themselves a music teacher. It's cowboys like that that make it hard for the rest of us sometimes. I tell my guys and girls communicate, whether you're running a bit late for a lesson later in the day or evening, or if you know in advance that you can't make a lesson, at least give me an absolute minimum of 24 hours notice.....that way I can plan my day. I can pride myself on the fact that with the number of years I've been teaching that I turn up on time (sometimes even a bit earlier or slightly later, depending on the traffic) but if I say that I'm going to be there, then I damn well am going to be there, rain hail or shine. Same thing with band rehearsals and so forth. Which is why I keep working and keep getting recommended. Your reputation is everything in this business.

I've no time for time wasters, and if I had a teacher that did what had been done to you, it's a sure bet that I'd find a much better one quick smart!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Yep. So I'm going to look around and see who's in the area. Meet with them beforehand. Plus I wasn't very impressed with the lessons sometimes. Didn't feel like they were going anywhere.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Just keep in mind, there is a difference between a good drummer and a good teacher.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Just keep in mind, there is a difference between a good drummer and a good teacher.
    +1 on that. If a "teacher" is sitting there just playing and showing off, that's not teaching. Been there, done that. The first teacher I had out here was an awesome drummer, but he would sit and play for 15 minutes. My lesson was half an hour. Watching him play and show off taught me nothing!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

As I've said before, there are a hundred hacks out there for every good teacher.

They will take your money, teach you almost nothing, and leave it to another teacher to sort out the mess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    Yep. So I'm going to look around and see who's in the area. Meet with them beforehand. Plus I wasn't very impressed with the lessons sometimes. Didn't feel like they were going anywhere.
    It's a good idea to meet a potential teacher before signing up for lessons. When you meet them, don't forget to ask for references (namely, other students they've had who you can contact). A reputable teacher should (and should be able to) supply a list -short or long- of other students they've taught. Beware the following red flags:

* They get mad and/or refuse to provide references. (Big Red Flag)
    * They provide a list of bad names and/or numbers. (Bigger Red Flag)
    * They make some half-baked or stupid-sounding excuse for lack of references. (Even Bigger Red Flag)
    * Most, if not all, references/internet reviews/etc. are negative. (There's no Flag Big or Red Enough!)

(In case you're wondering, I've either personally encountered those red flags, or know someone who has, sometimes with very bad results when those flags went disregarded. )
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Have drums, will travel.

WARNING: Practical joke-playing drummer ahead!

User Info Menu

I went to one of the local music shops that has been in business for 50 years or more and got my son in to lessons there. I don't know what other instructors charge,but I pay $32 for a 1 hour lesson. Since March,my son has come a long way considering it's 6 months he has been taking lessons. My son can read music now which he picked up very fast and can look at the book and continue to play without pausing when it goes down to the next line.He said that is hard to do with the amount of lessons he has taken. The instructor said he usually waits a little longer for kids his age,but said my son is doing so well that he can start putting the last 6 months of lessons to use by learning songs. He explained it to me like this. He will teach him songs and after doing that,he will give my son a song that he has to learn by ear. He said he should be able to learn the song,Tom Petty's Free Falling, pretty quick since a lot of the lessons were kind of towards that song and others like it. The instructor I use also has his dad their as an instructor and both are well known for not only teaching,but playing in local bands,so I know I have the best instructor around here.
    My son is very comfortable with the instructor and listens to him and remembers what he says.The instructor said he can tell he does practice at home a lot since every time he comes in,he knows what to play when he opens up the book to older lessons he has already went through and stays current with what he is being taught from the previous lesson. I can't wait to see him play his first full song and you bet I will be recording it when he learns it. I have been doing some video of his practices at home so I can see if the lessons are actually doing any good and to see how much he has progressed.It's been great seeing him learn how to play at a younger age then I was when I wanted to play and my parents ignored me. I started about 6 years ago playing and took no lessons,but can play and learn songs pretty fast.
    Good luck with finding a new teacher and one that does a good job.
    Last edited by Shawn76; 09-05-2013 at 12:40 AM.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Well I think I found a teacher. A guy from guitar center who is always really helpful. Sounds like he might at least be better then the last guy.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I hope you have better luck with your new teacher.

I had a teacher lined up and then I never heard from him again, so I know how you are feeling. I finally ended up finding a teacher a few weeks ago. I'm paying more than I wanted to, but I'm learning, making progress, and having fun. All three of which I wasn't doing trying to learn on my own. That's all that really matters when you get right down to it.

Best Wishes!!
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Thanks me too.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

What part of Ca are you in? i have a very awesome drum teacher that ive been with for five years. Seriously the guy is great. He also does video lessons I think for people who are far away, Let me know if you want his info.

User Info Menu

I'm in manteca
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Bummer he's in Orange County, but like i said he does do skype lessons i think, may be worth a shot. Hes awesome such a pro!