Thread: What heads would you put on a 70's era Slingerland set

User Info Menu

Default What heads would you put on a 70's era Slingerland set

I am looking to replace the old remo heads on my slingerland set. What is a good head to put on. I am gonna replace both the batter and resonance heads. I know Evans and Remo are both good brands. Is there a specific type of head I should look for. Also what is the difference between ported resonance bass drum heads and non ported? I mainly will be playing rock on the set. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: What heads would you put on a 70's era Slingerland set

Depends on the sound you want...and what the drums sound like now. Are the bearing edges worn bad or beat up? The basic "standard" would be clear Remo Ambassadors (or Evans equiv) on the reso heads. Then, the batters depend on what sound you want....bright and clear, dark and wet or warm? How hard do you hit? I would say you couldn't go wrong with Remo clear Pinstripes on an older set, especially if you're playing Rock and are fairly new to drum tuning. 2 ply coated batters would also be a good choice. Just my opinion.....I'm sure others with more experience will have a different opinion.

Ported Bass reso heads will give the drum less resonance and more of a dry punch. Also gives you a good place to stick a microphone. I have an Evans EMAD batter and Aquarian Regulator reso (unported) on my 22" Premier bass. With proper tuning, It sounds great with the unported reso. Our guitar player says it feels like he's being hit in the back with a soccer ball when he stands in front of my drums, LOL. It all depends on the sound you want....but a little resonation on the bass drum can be a good thing if you're playing live without mics.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 09-03-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

N2Bluz has my vote...
    Evans G1 as reso is fairly standard, and G2's as batter are too...i think single ply heads have more attack, 2 ply more tone? Someone will fix me up if i'm wrong on that...heavier heads produce longer tones, but need to be hit maybe a bit harder, to get them going...

ported kick drum head also has less bounceback, which i think is a good thing..my experience with unported is that the beater bounces, double hits a lot, except on my 18" kick, no irritating bounceback on that one.
    Hope that is of use...

User Info Menu

Coated Ambassador heads are what I would suggest.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

No re rings, correct?

I really liked G2 clears on my 70's ludwigs when I had them.

I use Response 2 Coated heads on my 60's Slingerlands

I like a warmer tone to my kits and never have found Ambassadors appealing but A large portion of people love them.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help guys you gave me some great suggestions. I am basically new to drumming and just am learning how to play. All of this is pretty new to me. I don't like the look of the ambassadors that much. I prefer the clear heads or black shiny finish. Right now there is Remo pinstripes on all of the drums I believe. Some of the heads have a large black circle on them while others don't. These heads have been on this drum set for atleast 15 years probably. The one tom head is showing some rainbow colors on it. I am trying to freshen up the set. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am thinking about the Emad bass drum head. What do you mean by more attack?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat TheHeadlessHorseman!

"Attack" describes the sound that is made when the stick first strikes the head. After the attack, you will hear the resonance of the head and drum shell.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Those heads with the large black circle are Remo Controlled sound "black dot" heads. The rainbow colors are from a thin amount of oil between plies of a two ply head like the Remo Pinstripes.

Personally I would go with a singly ply head batter, but one of the thicker ones (12 to 14mil vs. the usual 10mil), like a Remo Ambassador X or Evans G14.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    The rainbow colors are from a thin amount of oil between plies of a two ply head like the Remo Pinstripes.
    Clear Remo Pinstripe heads have no oil. The rainbow colors are produced when light passes between both plies which act as a prism. The only heads that have any oil are hydraulic heads.

User Info Menu

In my experience, most beginners tend to be rather hard hitters...at least until they gain confidence and learn control. They also tend to place the toms at extreme angles and strike the heads at stick angles that can cause dents in the heads. With that in mind, I would suggest sticking with a 2ply head or the thicker 12 or 14 mil single heads. I've also found heads with sound control type edges that dampen the overtones make it easier to tune for beginners and get a nice sound out of older drums. Your set is probably a fairly good quality, but the edges may be rough and the shells slightly warped due to age and use.
    I would probably try re-tuning them first. Then maybe buy one new Pinstripe head (or G2) for the smallest Tom and see if it makes much difference....before dropping the cash on a full set of new heads. Heads can get expensive VERY fast...especially if you replace all of them. Might also consider a $6 pack of Moongel if you want to have fun experimenting with the sounds.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Clear Remo Pinstripe heads have no oil. The rainbow colors are produced when light passes between both plies which act as a prism. The only heads that have any oil are hydraulic heads.

Balderdash! is what I was about to reply but you are in fact correct sir! Wow, learn something new today, thanks man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    Balderdash! is what I was about to reply but you are in fact correct sir! Wow, learn something new today, thanks man!

User Info Menu

I think I am gonna put the evans g-2 on the batter heads and g-1's on the reso's. I found a pretty good deal on a set of evans g-2's and g-1's on ebay. My next question is can I put the same on my snare. Put the g-2 on the batter and g-1 on the snare side or do I need a special type of head of the snare. I really just want to replace them all as they heads have been on there for at least 15 years probably. Time for something new, and since I am starting out again, I want to have fresh stuff for the set. I am looking at the Emad ported reso head and emad batter head for the basedrum

User Info Menu

Pretty darn good heads for being on there 15 years LOL I Agree the G2's/G1's on the toms G2's/Hazy 300 would be a good snare combo.

User Info Menu

Maybe try some Remo Vintage Ambassadors.

Larrysperf Guest

Wonder what the big drummers of that day used would be interesting to know

User Info Menu

If I'm not mistaken, Pinstripes were the classic sound of the classic rock era, while Ambassadors were the standard for jazz and general drumming in those days. If you're looking to emulate the era those would be your choices. But if you just want what sounds best, that will take some experimentation. I have a 1968 Rogers set and it took several tries for me to come around to liking plain old single ply heads (Ambassador type but I use Aquarian). Aquarian Super 2's are okay but I really love the sound of the singles. My drums didn't respond well to heavier 2 ply heads IMO.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Pinstripes were the classic sound of the classic rock era, while Ambassadors were the standard for jazz and general drumming in those days. If you're looking to emulate the era those would be your choices.
    I started drumming in that era. Remo CS (the black dot ) or Ludwig Rocker (silver dot) heads seemed mighty prevalent. Think Bonham, Peter Criss. They were featured heavily in ads and catalogs. I didn't see guys really using Pinstipes that much until the 1980's and they were the rage. (Oh wait...are you calling 80's music classic rock?) Also Evans was really making inroads in the 80's with their CAD/CAM designed hydraulics. I had a full set of the blue ones on my kit for a while.

Jazz drummers did, for the most part, gravitate towards single ply heads. But there were always exceptions like Tony Williams who used the Remo CS heads.

I've always thought single plys sound better overall, but I tend to like a tight tom sound as opposed to a deep thunderous one.

User Info Menu

Remo Ambassadors on all mine.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

if ya gotta have REMO,,,try coated emporers...
    i suggest AQUARIAN COATED SUPER II'S
    HEAVIER THAN AMBASSADORS,LIGHTER THAN PINSTRIPES,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I have been using Evans the last couple years, and I am done with them. I'm going back to Remo the sound is there and they hold up way longer.

User Info Menu

My drum instructor uses evans Genera heads
    Sabian!!!