Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does shoe damage happen to anyone else?

User Info Menu

Default Does shoe damage happen to anyone else?

Is this bad technique or positioning? My bass drum shoe gets shredded.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does shoe damage happen to anyone else?

Looks like your shoe has simply been rubbing against the foot stop on the pedal.
    At least its not your toe taking the damage!
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Try to drop your foot back slightly, see if that helps.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Just 'cause its called a "kick drum", that doesn't mean you have to literally KICK it!
    Actually, you may try wearing another brand/type of shoe. Those rubber toe caps really stick out there on those old Converse style sneakers.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I think I'm actually using it as a crutch in a way because I'm using the rebound bounce off a downstroke to get another hit in. So the top part hits the chain I guess. I have really bad form with the kick pedal I think, I don't know how to use it properly, really inconsistent with it. Watching all these heel-toe / slide/ leg up things make no sense to me.

I try playing heel up-how am I supposed to hold my whole leg up for 3-4 minutes at a time??

User Info Menu

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Doesn't happen to me at all. I don't play that far forward I guess.

User Info Menu

I've never seen that before..................your shoes really suffer for their art!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ldvg;556873]I think I'm actually using it as a crutch in a way because I'm using the rebound bounce off a downstroke to get another hit in. So the top part hits the chain I guess. I have really bad form with the kick pedal I think, I don't know how to use it properly, really inconsistent with it. Watching all these heel-toe / slide/ leg up things make no sense to me.

I try playing heel up-how am I supposed to hold my whole leg up for 3-4 minutes at a time??[/QUOTE]

If you keep at it eventually you become strong enough and it won't bother you. Just like any other muscle training.

What you are trying to do is get your leg and foot to work together like a machine. All the way from your hip joint, to your knee and ankle. So you really aren't holding your leg up and just using your ankle joint.

User Info Menu

I play barefoot...but my toes haven't sustained any damage.
    Of course I have little feet even for a girl...they are certainly not going to reach anything on the kit!
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Steel tipped sneakers.

User Info Menu

Yea, probably your style. I pretty aggressively but I don't get that kind of wear on my shoes.

User Info Menu

I got smart and re-installed toe stops on my Sonor pedal & HH pedal after beating up the toes on my Sketchers: better for control too.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

What is your shoe size? Do you play heel up or heel down? Looks like chain rub to me. Unless their expensive tennis shoes, why bother about it, right? Although it might be inhibiting the power of your strokes. Either look into revising your technique if this is a problem for you, or buy a longboard pedal.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Back yer foot off abit...
    Or get a strap....(or at least a toe stop!!!)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

i thought long and hard about this problem .... the only thing i could come up with is ......... move your foot back about an inch ...whew,,, i need a break now.......
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

atom...are you ok man???? im worried about yer strain,,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I play heel-up, but I found that a higher throne height makes it easier to play heel-up. Much less strain on my leg muscles and the increased seating position allows better positioning of the extra deep power toms.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I play heel-up, but I found that a higher throne height makes it easier to play heel-up. Much less strain on my leg muscles and the increased seating position allows better positioning of the extra deep power toms.
    Intresting observation. My inseam is 28" and I find if my throne is too high, I don't have any power in my pedal strokes. I play heel up too and I find if I place most of my weight at the balls of my feet, I can use that position as a fulcrum point to propel the beater into faster BPM.

User Info Menu

i have seen it from the hi hat but never the kick drum. own it
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Intresting observation. My inseam is 28" and I find if my throne is too high, I don't have any power in my pedal strokes. I play heel up too and I find if I place most of my weight at the balls of my feet, I can use that position as a fulcrum point to propel the beater into faster BPM.
    Isn't it interesting how different everyone is? I play as high as my throne will go. Found it much easier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Isn't it interesting how different everyone is? I play as high as my throne will go. Found it much easier.
    how do you keep your back straight?

User Info Menu

Sit up? I don't know. I sit fairly upright without issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    yeah i sit way up too. seems like gravity does some of the work for me. and it is interesting in how differently everyone sets up to feel comfortable. sometimes i see guys sitting way low and i think about how tired i'd get after a night of lifting my leg up all the time.

User Info Menu

I have somewhat long legs (34" inseem). I can't use a regular throne comfortably. I have a folding stool that has the padded top off of a throne attached to it. I like my thighs to be level or at a slight angle of decline. My legs aren't supporting very much weight that way and I can use my calf muscles and ankles to play the kick pedal.
    The higher position also allows my arms to hang at my sides more and the cymbals are easier to reach. Everything just seems more efficient to me that way.
    -Brian