Thread: DW Performers vs. TAMA Star Classic B/B

User Info Menu

Default DW Performers vs. TAMA Star Classic B/B

I just came up from the drum room and thought I'd share some of my observations. I just spent a half hour between kits just to see/hear the differences.

Volume: The DW is definitely louder than the TAMA. That may also be inducing what I'm going to call hiss or white noise. Playing the DW Performers (only) there was "noise" between the strokes or during an extended drum beat and several roll patterns. This is true with most kits that I've owned.

Take all that in for a second.

Now pay attention to this sentence. That noise is NOT present in the TAMA B/B OR the DW Collector series.

So to sum up volume and noise association and this is strictly my experience in my own conditions under my drum tunings and quality of hearing -

The TAMA B/B and DW Collectors have the purest drum tone and harmonic resonance that can justify paying a bit more at the pump for their presence in yours.

I should add that maybe that isn't the priority and therefore no reason to shell out any more cash than you have to. The other drums all sound really good and I can't say a bad thing about any of them, but that noise or fill that is generated by most every kit isn't evident in two brands I've tested. (BTW, I don't own any white lab coats so if anyone is so inclined, I could send you an address to send money for me to purchase some. ) Thanks, in advance.
    Last edited by Bish; 09-07-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Performers vs. TAMA Star Classic B/B

Tone:
    Both kits have great tone. I can tune them the same and a definitive note can be heard. The TAMAs have more of a focused attack when hit with authority and a quick decay. The DWs have a less focused attack with more decay.

IMHO the TAMAs have a wider range of dynamics and still maintain the notal tone of the drum itself.

The DW tends to lose some of its tonal quality when hit soft. Play the DWs with emotion. They work best when you ask them to perform. Hmmm, maybe that's where they got their name. Playing Performers is not for the timid. They'll take the beating and sound good doing it. Don't baby the DWs.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The bass drums are pretty much the same as the toms. The TAMA has a deeper low that's more felt than heard. It too decays quicker so you are left with more of a definitive thud. It's an amazing feeling as much as what you hear. Again, don't baby the DW bass drum. It will give you "mucho enjoymento" in return.

Interesting fact. The TAMA is fully open. No internal or external muting at all. It does have a single hole ported head. The DW has the infamous pillow inside. The reso isn't single hole ported but multi hole very small ports part way around the edges opposite each other at 9 and 3 o'clock.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

In general, unless you have them side by side, you'd love either kit. They both are amazing and I really like them both. Right now, the Pearls are in the SKBs and the Gretsch are stacked against the wall. The DW and TAMA are at opposite ends of the room facing each other.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

As far as the snare goes:

It's simply a beast. I don't care where you tune it, it is thick, warm, meaty and packed with power on each stroke. It's also very sensitive for ghost noting. Rim shots would make Late8 drool.

I'm using my TAMA aluminum with the DWs as a side snare and it's very dry next to the DW. The brass TAMA with the SCs is also very much a drier snare. Both have sharper attack than the DW but have no decay.

I'm going to have to get my TAMA Warlord Masai out from its resting place for further investigation. There could be a worthy adversary here.
    Last edited by Bish; 09-07-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wow! That's a ton of info to take in. What heads are on the two kits, and how much of the differences can be attributed to the heads?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Great review, Bish. I'm fairly certain the DW Performance series was meant to go toe to toe with the SC Performers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wow! That's a ton of info to take in. What heads are on the two kits, and how much of the differences can be attributed to the heads?
    Stock heads on both kits and the SCs are 2 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Great review, Bish. I'm fairly certain the DW Performance series was meant to go toe to toe with the SC Performers.
    Thanks, Marko. Either kit is a total winner, IMHO.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Terrific! Now I've got enough G.A.S. to float a blimp!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

great info Bish. how about i come over and see how they sound both played at the same time ?
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Terrific! Now I've got enough G.A.S. to float a blimp!
    No Smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    great info Bish. how about i come over and see how they sound both played at the same time ?
    Sure. Based on my experience, it's only about a 10 hour drive.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

lets see ,,, i could leave now , drive for 10 hours ,,, play for an hour , drive back for 10 hours to be at work in the morning,,, or i could lay on the couch and watch football all day ,,,,,, hmmmmmm let me think about that ..... i'll get back to you ...(after my nap)
    Tamaholic