Thread: Second Snare Next To Ride...Any Thoughts?

User Info Menu

Default Second Snare Next To Ride...Any Thoughts?

For a while now, I've been entertaining the idea of adding a second (or third) snare to my kit on the right side next to my ride. The problem I'm having is my wrists are not exactly agile enough to pull off those super fast rides (i.e. Time Stand Still by Rush) and I'm always looking for new challenge when learning new songs (even if it means adding a new piece to the kit and risking having by butt chewed out by the Mrs.) I do realize that Neil Peart has a snare that's mounted at about eye level on the left of his current kit for certain fills and rolls, but Neil Peart is a God and I am, well...not. Anyway, is this something that has been done before? Or am I just enabling an already existing handicap by not working on my craft until my wrists fall off? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Default Re: Second Snare Next To Ride...Any Thoughts?

I'm not really sure what you are saying. Would the addition of a snare by your ride be to try and make a certain fill easier? Seems like a crazy location for a snare to me.

The snare Neil has to his left is a piccolo snare used to get a different sound.

User Info Menu

Not really understanding your post. First your talking about a snare next to your ride on the right side, then you mention your inability to do 16th notes on your ride. Not understanding the correlation between the two. Never have seen a right handed set-up with a snare on the right side next to the ride. How would you even reach it? Maybe I'm just not picking up on what your laying down.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

There is no right or wrong, if you have the hardware and the snare, go for it!!

User Info Menu

True, there is no right or wrong when it comes to setting up your kit. I would like to see a picture if possible though, just to get a clear idea of this set up.

User Info Menu

Snare right by the ride seems to be a strange place for it... Unless maybe you want one that clamps onto the ride stand, like one of the Toca Timbale Snares...but that is a different sound.

User Info Menu

I'll sometimes throw my Tama snare on the left side behind my 14" FT,not really weird but different for me.I couldn't see using one on the right,that would be like having a ride on both sides.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Sorry for the confusion everyone. What I'm thinking of doing is adding an additional snare to the far right side (next to my ride) for easier rudiment capabilities using the ride. I know I'm still probably not explaining it correctly, but I think I'm going to try it out anyway since I can get an extra snare just to mess around with dirt cheap. For those of you who are RUSH fans, just think of Neil Peart's latest drum kit and how he has a snare drum elevated at about crash cymbal level on his left side next to his electric drum synthesizer. He almost has it sitting right behind him on his left. So I figured I would take a page from his book and try this myself, but for another reason and in a different placement. I will post pics when I finally do it just to show what I'm really talking about and see what you guys think.
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

The drummer from Don Caballero, Damon Che, uses a second snare next to his floor tom.

The dude is sick on the drums!

I guess you could say it's next to his ride because his ride sits by his floor tom.

Is this what you mean?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    I'll sometimes throw my Tama snare on the left side behind my 14" FT,not really weird but different for me.I couldn't see using one on the right,that would be like having a ride on both sides.
    When I read this I thought... A ride on both sides you say, like this perhaps? That's Alex Rudinger's kit from the Faceless. He always amazes me and I always loved the look of a symmetrical kit.

Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?