Thread: I'm Still Waiting.....

User Info Menu

Default I'm Still Waiting.....

I'm still waiting for this "drumming" thing to click..... I'm waiting for that "Oh, that's it....." but I haven't really gotten that feeling yet. Do you ever get that feeling with drumming or do you just periodically "get it" all your drumming life?

Oh and I'm also still waiting for a picture of drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post

User Info Menu

Seriously Susan... (as opposed to "Suddenly Susan" )...
    I usually get pockets of breakthrough throughout my career. It never happens all at once. I been playing for so long, it's hard for me to remember the beginning days, but I do remember having these moments of breakthrough where I felt I really got it. Certain beats that is, not all of drumming.

I was always a natural and I probably picked it up faster than some. I'm never quite sure how to relate it to everyone else's experience. I'm not a prodigy but I did have a lot of god-given talent from the get-go. This certainly helped propel me and I think I may have learned things faster than some at my age.

All this said, I also practiced "a lot!" I used to spend hours upon hours of concentrated practice on either rudiments or certain drumset beats, until I had them down "real" good.

I'm wondering if you're spreading yourself thin perhaps. Do you practice on many things simultaneously? Maybe if you stuck to just one rudiment at a time or one drumset beat at a time until you felt you knew it extremely well. This way, it's like you're building a house, one "firm" brick at a time. And this creates a solid foundation.

I don't know if this helps at all.

User Info Menu

DC, maybe it's a problem with your perception of what is supposed to happen. What feeling are you waiting for?

I'm thinking that you might be a little hard on yourself. Like maybe you've set a goal, and you've gotten down on yourself for not reaching it yet. Just remember, if this is the case, that reaching the goal might actually be right around the corner. You'll never know unless you keep going.

DC, I know you love music, so you just need to relax, and enjoy feeling the rhythms. I stopped practicing last night and started singing any 4/4 song in the church hymnal, and played along on the kit. It was fun to realize that I could actually do that. I used sticks, hot rods, and brushes, depending on the song. I even gave a few songs, a more upbeat feel! I'm not ready to tackle the stuff that Kevin does, but I'm a whole lot better than I was 5 months ago!

I think this might be what you need to do. Just enjoy where you are for a bit, and remember how far you've come.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks drummer and PB, I needed that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    DC, maybe it's a problem with your perception of what is supposed to happen. What feeling are you waiting for?

I'm thinking that you might be a little hard on yourself. Like maybe you've set a goal, and you've gotten down on yourself for not reaching it yet. Just remember, if this is the case, that reaching the goal might actually be right around the corner. You'll never know unless you keep going.

DC, I know you love music, so you just need to relax, and enjoy feeling the rhythms. I stopped practicing last night and started singing any 4/4 song in the church hymnal, and played along on the kit. It was fun to realize that I could actually do that. I used sticks, hot rods, and brushes, depending on the song. I even gave a few songs, a more upbeat feel! I'm not ready to tackle the stuff that Kevin does, but I'm a whole lot better than I was 5 months ago!

I think this might be what you need to do. Just enjoy where you are for a bit, and remember how far you've come.
    i dont have anything to add to that but PB, singing while drumming is so fun, im glad you found another fun aspect of drumming.

User Info Menu

Agreed Lafirin. I have always enjoyed singing (I just don't know whether people enjoyed the listening ). I once dated a girl in college that told me not to sing to the music on the car radio. That didn't go over real big with me, and we didn't date much after that! You just have to have standards, man!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

My hubby sings all the time, everywhere...... He's always singing in the car and warned me about it before we married LOL

User Info Menu

I'm really starting to like that guy!

User Info Menu

PB, you would like him a lot, he's hilarious, loves music and Jesus :-)

User Info Menu

Loves joy, music, Jesus, and you! Sounds like the perfect combination to me!

User Info Menu

And of course he's smart, he married me (in 39 days) LOL

User Info Menu

He's going to marry you in 39 days!!?? LOL

I am assuming that it is your anniversary! LOL

User Info Menu

LOL, he met me and then married me 39 days later.........

User Info Menu

Wow, you really are hot stuff!!!!! ROFLOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Wow, you really are hot stuff!!!!! ROFLOL
    {{{{{{Sizzle}}}}} Yes I am! LOL

User Info Menu

I think someone is starting to feel better about herself!!

User Info Menu

totally PB! i like singin too, and again not when others are near.

User Info Menu

Cool I'm still waiting.....

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I'm still waiting for this "drumming" thing to click..... I'm waiting for that "Oh, that's it....." but I haven't really gotten that feeling yet. Do you ever get that feeling with drumming or do you just periodically "get it" all your drumming life?

I'm not so sure I want to see drummer's picture... the one he put up looks like a drunken sailor doing a bad imitation of Popeye...or is that Popeye doing a bad imitation of a drunken sailor?

Okay...I logged on just as you and Tom were wrapping up your shouting session, but from what I read here, I think you may be being a little hard on yourself. If you're expecting everything to fall perfectly in place at once like "FLASH! BAM! ALLAKAZAM!", you're going to be really disappointed. Like Tom said, you "get it" one step at a time.

I don't know of a single drummer who doesn't have at least an occasional doubt about what he or she is doing...especially if you're relatively new at drumming. And there were times when I first started that it was all I could do to keep hands and feet in sync on a simple 4/4 beat, and I thought I was driving my drum teacher nuts!

As I've said in other posts, drumming should be fun. I've discovered the less I take drumming seriously, the more relaxed I become whether it's behind the set or behind the congas. Don't misunderstand--practice and discipline are musts--but what I mean is if you have an "off" day, it's not the end of the world. Just do your best--and if you made a mistake, learn from it. Like anything else (except possibly that whirlwind courtship with your husband!), it takes time to develop drumming, and from what I've read from you, you've already come a long way!

It may be a cliche, but it's like an old cruise line slogan: "Half the fun is getting there." And you will, Susan!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

and BB pulls threw with another quote from i dont know were! well said BB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I'm not so sure I want to see drummer's picture... the one he put up looks like a drunken sailor doing a bad imitation of Popeye...or is that Popeye doing a bad imitation of a drunken sailor?

Okay...I logged on just as you and Tom were wrapping up your shouting session, but from what I read here, I think you may be being a little hard on yourself. If you're expecting everything to fall perfectly in place at once like "FLASH! BAM! ALLAKAZAM!", you're going to be really disappointed. Like Tom said, you "get it" one step at a time.

I don't know of a single drummer who doesn't have at least an occasional doubt about what he or she is doing...especially if you're relatively new at drumming. And there were times when I first started that it was all I could do to keep hands and feet in sync on a simple 4/4 beat, and I thought I was driving my drum teacher nuts!

As I've said in other posts, drumming should be fun. I've discovered the less I take drumming seriously, the more relaxed I become whether it's behind the set or behind the congas. Don't misunderstand--practice and discipline are musts--but what I mean is if you have an "off" day, it's not the end of the world. Just do your best--and if you made a mistake, learn from it. Like anything else (except possibly that whirlwind courtship with your husband!), it takes time to develop drumming, and from what I've read from you, you've already come a long way!

It may be a cliche, but it's like an old cruise line slogan: "Half the fun is getting there." And you will, Susan!

Thanks BB, you always make sense

User Info Menu

Yup, I go from, "sheesh, I ain't worth a darn, what a joke.", to, "oh, that was righteous!" lol

drum chick do you play to songs? I ain't no expert (not a grammer teacher either) but this is what I do in my little drum world... Pick a favorite song that has drums you like and play to it. Maybe pre-learn crucial things by playing along with your hands on the desk. Get on the drumset and record your playing and listen to it. Listen to playback and you'll hear what sounds bad, what sounds good and what to improve on. Switch off to another favorite song when you get irritable with the one you are working on. Have a handful of songs you work on. Don't stick with one song. Skill learned in one song carries over to all songs. Run through them in a row. Repeat process for days and days. You will see improvement this way and gain confidence and technique. The aformentioned breakthroughs will occur. I Promise! Hey I'm not great like some of these guys but if it wasn't for the tape recorder I'd be way, way back there still.
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not just as good now as it was then.