Thread: What do you take with you to shows?

User Info Menu

Default What do you take with you to shows?

I had my first performance this last weekend with the band I joined recently. It was my first time performing in many years and it felt great! However, I had to deal with a few situations at the start related to the equipment provided. It wasn't really logistically feasible for me to take my kit with me, but I did take my cymbals, snare drum, bass drum pedal, and and a hihat clutch. The clutch ended up being too small. Luckily, the drummer from the first band had one that worked.

Even worse, the hihat stand, as well as some of the other cymbal stands, were held together with tape and barely adjustable! The hihat stand was so low, I the cymbal would have been at knee-level. Fortunately, the drummer from the band after us brought his hihat stand. I was able to arrange the less adjustable cymbal stands and place them where I could still reach everything.

Is this the kind of situation I should expect? Outside of cymbals, snare, and bass drum pedal, are there other pieces of equipment you bring? Do you take your own hihat stand? Are there any steps you take before a show to avoid problems like this? Do you scope out the venue's kit in advance to ensure it will work? Living in New York City with no car limits the options of what I can transport, so the less I have to carry, the better. Curious what the rest of you do to prevent these problematic situations!
    My kit: OCDP Custom drums, Zildjian cymbals, Tama hardware, Evans heads, Pro-Mark drumsticks, Roland electronics, LP aux percussion, Roc-N-Soc throne, Shure mics

User Info Menu

Default Re: What do you take with you to shows?

That's what I hate about house kits. You never know what you are getting till you get there!

If the house kit was that craptastical I would let the manager know they need to invest in half way decent hardware. But good luck with that.

A stand taped together is just unacceptable. But just dealing with it often comes with the territory.

Most of the time I take my own kit for gigs around here. Usually the only time a house kit may be used is if there are a bunch of bands playing and do to time constraints minimize set up time.

Your situation is different do to transportation. And it sounds like you took the gear most of us would to a house kit expecting the house kit to be playable.

For me it's the same thing. Snare, bass pedal, sticks, drum key and cymbals.

If I have to deal with crappy stands then that's what I gotta do. Just deal with it.

User Info Menu

This^^^

User Info Menu

if your not using your own set , you have to take what you get, no way around it .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I shared a kit once, and it was set up by the other drummer. He was taller than I am, so everything was out of place compared to where I would normally have it. It felt strange at first, but then I put it out of my mind, and just played.

With your limit on what you can carry to a gig, you may have no choice but to deal with whatever you encounter. You might consider varying your setup a little to make sure that you are adaptable.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Really need to bring your own or fend for yourself honestly. They could tell me they have the greatest kit in the world but in still will bring everything and go from there if I want to use there's I'm covered if not I brought mine. I also have extra moon gel, tension rods, and since I have all dw hardware I have the spare parts packs you can buy for all my gear better safe then sorry

User Info Menu

I always bring my snare, cymbals, sticks and my "toolbox" which includes felts, keys, snares, tape, screwdrivers, etc.

It's definitely helped in the past

Here's a pic of the toolbox

User Info Menu

I dont take much. I recomend bringing just your drum set, more than enough sticks (8-10), one or two drum keys, an extra snare beater head, and snare wires. works for me..

User Info Menu

If I'm bringing my cymbals to use on someone else's stands I always bring cymbal sleeves in a variety of sizes, just in case.

User Info Menu

In 10 years of touring( & during my new orleans french quarter tenure)
    i left my chrome slingerlands @ my "house gig"(your fathers moustache)
    i would carry my ride cymbal,bassdrum pedal,& stick bag
    around the different clubs in the quarter....
    When i toured with "the stars",,,i carried only my stick bag
    & my ludwig drum key on my keyring,,,
    i only carried my kit 10 times in 10 years......

With "house" kits every show was an adventure....

I never knew what kind of "drumkit" i would face
    from a set of boxes or junk drumset
    to a "dream kit",,,that was the challenge every nite
    to be consistent no matter what...
    Its the drummer not the drums!!!!!!!!

I did learn in memphis & nashville
    the art of stick in one hand,brush in the other..
    And more importantly....
    Any cymbal can be a ride or a crash!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!