Thread: Not wanting to do suggested songs by other band members?

User Info Menu

Default Not wanting to do suggested songs by other band members?

How do you guys go about it? I just come out and say I think it sucks and wont go over but am starting to think maybe thats a lil harsh and there could be a better way to say it.

We are just a cover band, all in our 40's and 50's and play legions and parties and such and a few guys are really insisting on obscure stuff. We actually had someone come up to us after last gig/last song (saturday night) and say Nice it's about time you played somethignwe can sing along to.

Other members took it as a good thing that we dont play overplayed songs, which is cool on one hand but when your playing the type of places we are and you play,
    1) Then came the last day in May (B.O.C)
    2) princess of the streets (stranglers)
    3) nice and sleazy (stranglers) Killer bass part in this one
    4) Planet Claire (B-52's)
    5) and 2 originals

it just does not go over and we lose the crowd, small as it is. Dont get me wrong most are fun to play but I think we are starting to turn into one of those bands I used to hate before I started playing drums who played a bunch of stuff I did'nt know and that is not the reason I went out that night.

How do you veto a song or do you all have a=some type of system in place where al have to agree or it does not get put in?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Not wanting to do suggested songs by other band members?

Thats an interesting situation. I think its pretty common though. I personally believe that a cover band should play songs that people want to listen to. Top 40 charts and what not.

Original bands have the freedom to play whatever they want because people are expecting original stuff that they haven't heard.

Cover bands should play a few songs that people don't know, but there is a reason people don't know some of those songs. and theres a reason they don't necessarily want to hear them.

Maybe you talk to them and let them know you think the crowd would react better to more famous songs. Ask them to give your approach a test and if you are wrong about your opinion then you will leave it be.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

We are a cover band. We are trying to play crowd pleasers. What we did ( as a band ) was to play the songs in question at one or two gigs. We monitored crowd reaction/response and then either kept or vetoed the song by the next gig.

I also think your approach that you posted here is appropriate..."it just does not go over and we lose the crowd, small as it is." That is what it ultimately comes down to. If you are there to entertain as a cover band, you must play the "standards" as we call them.

So ask yourself and your band this question..."Who are we trying to please? Us or the people who came out to be entertained?"
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I am going to be in the same boat. Cover band playing at least on song I can't stand and the crowed won't like either. So I am just going to play the song and hope not to get booded off the stage. Most songs we are going to playare punk songs. So some may like other won't.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

You lose the crowds, you lose the gigs. You keep the crowd engaged, and loving it/wanting more, you feed off that and play better (which equals more gigs and happy band). It's simple stuff really. I understand wanting to play what is fun for you all, but that approach typically doesn't go over well in a club. You gotta play for the crowd. My bands usually go with 1/4 rule - 3/4s are hits and crowd pleasers, the other 1/4 are for us (and the uber fans).

User Info Menu

^^^^^

That's good advice.

I've never been in a cover band. Maybe one of these days when I get older.

We do have some really good cover bands here in Austin. Most of them I don't care for though.

Spazmatics are pretty awesome. They do a lot of early 80's tunes that are pretty fun, like Devo. They even dress up like a bunch of nerds with pocket protectoctors, buck teeth and taped glasses. These guys make a killing when they play!

Mysterious Ways. U2 tribute band.

The Damn Torpedoes. A tribute to Tom Petty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    You lose the crowds, you lose the gigs. You keep the crowd engaged, and loving it/wanting more, you feed off that and play better (which equals more gigs and happy band). It's simple stuff really. I understand wanting to play what is fun for you all, but that approach typically doesn't go over well in a club. You gotta play for the crowd. My bands usually go with 1/4 rule - 3/4s are hits and crowd pleasers, the other 1/4 are for us (and the uber fans).
    ya! you got it!

User Info Menu

Here's an example: We're playing a 45min set at the House of Blues next Friday, opening for a great ACDC tribute from Dallas. We played with them this past April, and they liked us opening for them enough that they asked HOB specifically to book us again! It's a short set, and the first time round we stuck to the "hits" because of the time allowed and wanting to do well in our first time on the main stage. Here's the setlist for the upcoming gig:

Working Man/Tom Sawyer
    Fly By Night
    Red Barchetta
    Freewill
    YYZ
    The Trees
    Limelight
    Subdivisions
    The Spirit of Radio

Now the following Saturday after the HOB gig, we are playing the Houston Grand Prix, and have a 90min set. This allows a ton more leeway to throw in some of the more obscure/epic/non radio songs among the rest:

2112 Overture / Temples
    a Passage to Bangkok
    Tom Sawyer
    Working Man
    The Trees
    Red Barchetta
    Closer to the Heart
    YYZ
    Anthem
    the Spirit of Radio
    La Villa Strangiato
    Subdivisions
    Bastille Day
    Freewill
    Fly By Night
    Limelight

We'll put Xanadu in there too. Even with double the time, we're still playing 3/4 hits - enough to keep the crowd there and engaged.

Honestly though we love every one of those songs too so it's a win/win.

User Info Menu

I play in a band that is promoting original material.
    We design our sets to be approximately 2/3 original and 1/3 strategically placed covers.............and these covers need to be popular attention-getting tunes...........one example is DAY OF THE EAGLE by Robin Trower.

Nobody wants to hear an hour of music they never heard before............so we open with a couple of originals and then hit the audience with something that really rocks with which they are very familiar..............assuming you have their attention at that point, then you are free to pop out another pair of origianl songs that rock like the cover did.

Another factor is we are not playing "dance" clubs or private parties...........we are playing large outdoor venues or heavy rock clubs.
    So we are never expected to provide "Love Shack" and that kind of vomit.

It usually goes well..................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Not entirely different in an all originals band. We've got songs that I don't really love playing. I always vote no on those songs but sometimes I get out voted.

User Info Menu

Yes, agree with many of the comments above ^^^.

We play covers and originals. Some members have tastes for styles that I would really prefer to NOT play. That said, I believe it is also important to push myself to play different styles and genres of music. I figure if all give a little we get a good mix of what makes us and audience happy.

On audience joy versus the more obscure songs "for the band," it is always good to have a "sprinkling" of songs for us. Keeps things interesting and fun from a musical perspective.

The one thing that really gets push back from me is if a song is promoted by 1 or more members to add to the set list that just does not fit the band. (Including band instruments, venues we play, and also singer range and style, etc. (i.e., band member just loves the song and pushes, but doesn't think through how and whether it would work for our band)).
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

There is SO much material to select from, it should be painless enough to find a few sets of stuff that everyone like to play and listen to.

Approach this in a mathematical problem and leave emotion out of it. Put together a ridiculous list of 200 popular songs, them have the members check yes/no/maybe.

No one should have to play something they hate. There is just SO much music out there to cover.

User Info Menu

"The one thing that really gets push back from me is if a song is promoted by 1 or more members to add to the set list that just does not fit the band. (Including band instruments, venues we play, and also singer range and style, etc. (i.e., band member just loves the song and pushes, but doesn't think through how and whether it would work for our band))."

Oh, yeah! Like "these boots are made for walkin'" or the theme from TV's Secret Agent" goes with "White Room!"LOL! ...sad but true with my band mates. And they wonder why we don't get more gigs!
    Last edited by slinglander; 09-21-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added text
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I separate issues into "A" issues and "B" issues.

"A" issues include................how much do I love this band -- or what is the level of musicianship here ???

"B" issues are things like................do I want to play this song or not ?

I NEVER let "B" issues get in the way of "A" issues.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    The one thing that really gets push back from me is if a song is promoted by 1 or more members to add to the set list that just does not fit the band. (Including band instruments, venues we play, and also singer range and style, etc. (i.e., band member just loves the song and pushes, but doesn't think through how and whether it would work for our band)).
    Lawd....tell me about it.....if I was paid a dollar every time I've heard hair-brained suggestions in all the bands I've been in over the years....I could buy a gong with it at least, lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8