Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gretsch USA Custom v Gretsch '57 Renown

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch USA Custom v Gretsch '57 Renown

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Keep us posted Rich. I never asked, what does the wife think of this.
    If she's anything like mine, she is not happy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    If she's anything like mine, she is not happy
    Yes, not happy. The wife wants a completely new kit. Nothing less. No recut, no wood putty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Yes, not happy. The wife wants a completely new kit. Nothing less. No recut, no wood putty.
    I don't think that's unreasonable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch View Post
    There's an option I'd be inclined to seriously consider if this situation is starting to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Just start from scratch. (Did I hear "Saturn"? )

Not a bad idea but if you want to spend the same amount of money I would go with a Sonor Pro Lite.. I played around on a 5pc kit a few months ago and it blew me away. If I had $4k I would have walked out with em thats for sure.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Actually it is a little unreasonable. After all, they are pin holes in the angled surface of the bearing edge and do not affect head contact or sound at all.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Can you blame her, Rich? You paid A LOT of money for that kit. Why should you settle for something that is inferior? I hope it all works out for you, my friend.
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 09-26-2013 at 09:59 AM.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Actually it is a little unreasonable. After all, they are pin holes in the angled surface of the bearing edge and do not affect head contact or sound at all.

all the best...
    So you'd be fine with it on a kit you paid that kind of money for? I sure wouldn't.

User Info Menu

If they had seen this before it left the factory, they would have done just that... fix the issues before sending to the customer.

I would be willing to bet this happens quite often with all manufactures. In this particular case, it just slipped through QC.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Not a bad idea but if you want to spend the same amount of money I would go with a Sonor Pro Lite.. I played around on a 5pc kit a few months ago and it blew me away. If I had $4k I would have walked out with em thats for sure.
    Wow..I'll have to check them out.

all the best...
    $730.00 USD +Tax

$1,356.00 USD + Tax

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Can you blame her, Rich? You paid A LOT of money for that kit. Why should you settle for something that is inferior? I hope it all works out for you, my friend.
    Exactly!

So you'd be fine with it on a kit you paid that kind of money for? I sure wouldn't.
    Me either!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    If they had seen this before it left the factory, they would have done just that... fix the issues before sending to the customer.

I would be willing to bet this happens quite often with all manufactures. In this particular case, it just slipped through QC.
    It happens to most yes, but these are Keller shells made to Gretsch specs. I would expect better.

User Info Menu

all the best...
    Wether it affects it or not this is not the case. He paid big bucks and he desrves flawless drum kit regardless. You mean to say that you would accept that. Something wrong with you.

User Info Menu

Hey Rich most of us agree with you man and we are behind you. So one person does'nt seem to think it is a big deal. Most of us do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Hey Rich most of us agree with you man and we are behind you. So one person does'nt seem to think it is a big deal. Most of us do.
    Thanks Gilles. I appreciate the support you and many other have shown.

User Info Menu

I think I would be happy with re cut and filled but I could understand wanting a new kit at that price point.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I think I would be happy with re cut and filled but I could understand wanting a new kit at that price point.
    Thanks for your input Zeta. I've watched you collect, restore and sell so many fine vintage and modern kits you've brought back to life. I know you've inspected an equal amount that you may have passed on due to flaws, nicks, dents etc. So my question to you, if you discovered this yourself, would you ask for a discount regardless if you're made "whole" by the repairs? After all, 2 out of the 4 shells were sold to me with blemishes. A fill and recut seems reasonable but why charge me full price? If this is a common issue as the drum manager's email indicated, I think a reasonable discount should be granted?

User Info Menu

I haven't said much since I'm not really sure how I actually feel. It wasn't my kit or my money so I have no idea what I would do. I've been rather lucky in my dealings that haven't resulted in imperfections others have experienced.

I believe Gretsch and other manufacturers have some sort of satisfaction guarantee. With that said, if they resolve the issue in a reasonable amount of time and at no additional cost to the consumer, they probably feel they have done their part and are probably not inclined to manage any discounts. If you were to keep the gear as is and no additional cost was incurred by the mfg, then they should be inclined to consider discounts.

If they are willing to make it right (and they should) then you as the consumer should decide just how far you want to make a stand in regards to any monetary handling.

I'm not advocating one way or another. Just trying to see it from both sides.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for your input Zeta. I've watched you collect, restore and sell so many fine vintage and modern kits you've brought back to life. I know you've inspected an equal amount that you may have passed on due to flaws, nicks, dents etc. So my question to you, if you discovered this yourself, would you ask for a discount regardless if you're made "whole" by the repairs? After all, 2 out of the 4 shells were sold to me with blemishes. A fill and recut seems reasonable but why charge me full price? If this is a common issue as the drum manager's email indicated, I think a reasonable discount should be granted?
    I have had to pass on some great drums because of edges being badge, or expensive parts missing. You're in a nice boat though because these were ordered new, so you have a lot going for you. I personally think that if a company fails to deliver to a customers expectations they should offer you some form of apology to solidify business in the future.

If I were you I would say that you either want:

A: Them to pay for shipping and repair the drums, along with a discount because your delivery of a "finished" product was delayed.

or

B: A completely new set because with the damages you cannot find 100% comfort in knowing that those were the only damages.

I know I'll probably bother some people with this opinion. But from purely a Business stand point A company failed to deliver initially and now that same company should prove to you why purchasing from them was not a mistake. Same thing with buying food at a grocery store, we can assume that we won't buy spoiled goods, but when we do they give us a new product or a refund and a coupon or whatever else. They don't just wipe the mold off and say "is that better?"
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I have had to pass on some great drums because of edges being badge, or expensive parts missing. You're in a nice boat though because these were ordered new, so you have a lot going for you. I personally think that if a company fails to deliver to a customers expectations they should offer you some form of apology to solidify business in the future.

If I were you I would say that you either want:

A: Them to pay for shipping and repair the drums, along with a discount because your delivery of a "finished" product was delayed.

or

B: A completely new set because with the damages you cannot find 100% comfort in knowing that those were the only damages.

I know I'll probably bother some people with this opinion. But from purely a Business stand point A company failed to deliver initially and now that same company should prove to you why purchasing from them was not a mistake. Same thing with buying food at a grocery store, we can assume that we won't buy spoiled goods, but when we do they give us a new product or a refund and a coupon or whatever else. They don't just wipe the mold off and say "is that better?"
    Very well put and very fair! Thank you sir!!

User Info Menu

Very well put and very fair! Thank you sir!!
    Absolutely! The worst thing that could happen is they might decline giving a discount. But they absolutely will, at a minimum, give you free repairs.
    And if you express that you don't feel sure about the kit because of the damages you've already found they will be sure to go through it with a fine tooth comb to be able to reassure you that it is solid before you re-receive it.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

pffft for that kind of money I don't want them to repair it I want a brand new one or forget it. How does that even happen?

I would give them a chance to make it right and if they came back with anything other than a direct replacement I would demand a full refund and send them their kit back.

For that kind of money they should really be bending over backwards to make sure your happy and it does not sound like that too me.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

was that "hole" in the bearing edge on both sides of the drum, or just the one?

cuz it looks like the plies were cut too short, and then didn't join up at the seam

i wouldn't sweat about the bass drum edge, that's an easy fix
    Last edited by davezedlee; 09-29-2013 at 06:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davezedlee View Post

cuz it looks like the plies were cut too short, and then didn't join up at the seam

I was thinking the same

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    pffft for that kind of money I don't want them to repair it I want a brand new one or forget it. How does that even happen?

I would give them a chance to make it right and if they came back with anything other than a direct replacement I would demand a full refund and send them their kit back.

For that kind of money they should really be bending over backwards to make sure your happy and it does not sound like that too me.
    If I had an outstanding balance and the shells came in and were found in the same condition, I'd never accept it but the kit is paid off. They got their money. I got no kit. This will test their customer service to the max.
    Quote Originally Posted by davezedlee View Post

This hole travels about an 1/8" down into the plies on the inside of the shell and I agree with you, the bearing edge is an easy fix. It should of been 'fixed' before it left the factory. Poor quality control.

User Info Menu

You're right Rich, I wouldn't have taken delivery of the kit either. You're spot on in your assessment brother.

User Info Menu

You're right Rich, I wouldn't have taken delivery of the kit either. You're spot on in your assessment brother.
    This will test my patients Mark and it will also test how well Gretsch handles rejected products. I would of never thought I would be sitting here after a 6 month wait having to send back 2 out of the 4 shells for workmanship issues? There is nothing "Custom" about these shells except you get to pick and choose the hardware, finish and sizes. The rest is a crap shoot.

User Info Menu

This will test my patients Mark and it will also test how well Gretsch handles rejected products. I would of never thought I would be sitting here after a 6 month wait having to send back 2 out of the 4 shells for workmanship issues? There is nothing "Custom" about these shells except you get to pick and choose the hardware, finish and sizes. The rest is a crap shoot.
    It's really unfortunate. And the fact that you're told all the other major companies have the same issues is disappointing.