Thread: Polyrhythms?

User Info Menu

Default Polyrhythms?

I've heard of these and also that they sound pretty Cool but what are they exactly?

User Info Menu

More than one (poly) rhythms happening at the same time. The most common is 2 against 3. You probably do it all the time without realizing it.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

what do you mean by more then 1 rythym? like something on your right hand, and something completly different on your lefT? or is more complex then that?

User Info Menu

It's pretty much controlling different time signatures with your limbs. That's what I heard at least lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I think its like playing triplets on your bass drum while keeping a 8th note on the hi-hat and playing 16th notes on your snare...for example.

User Info Menu

thats so cool, but sounds incredibly hard

User Info Menu

like your triplet kick in your metal beats... Its lots of fun and yeah you barely notice it when ya practice just in general then you practice them and yourl ike. Hey... I actualy play these things anyways
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I think Clenching the Fists of Dissent by Machine Head has a polyrythm intro...if you listen to it, it's got double bass triplets with a 16 note roll on both floor tom and snare drum.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

Shazane Guest

really? triplets+8th notes=polyrhythm? I had no idea, I thought it required something more complicated like a 4/4 beat on the snare and hihat overlaying a 5/4 rhythm with the bass and cymbals or something, I've been using more than I thought I was

User Info Menu

A polyrhythm is defined as playing two or more rhythms that are different when divided into their lowest form.

i.e. The father of the polyrhythm - 8th's over triplets - Triplets lowest form is 3 (3 notes per beat) and 8ths are 2 (2 notes per beat). 2/3 is a polyrhythm.

Now something that isnt a polyrhythm - 8ths and 16ths - both can be divided back to 2. So they hold the same rhythm value.

I hope you guys can sort of understand what I wrote, It made sense to me.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Cool Polyrhythms?

HB, good call, man! Made perfect sense to me...

Another way to look at it is when you're playin' 4/4 and there's a break in which you're playing triplets on your toms at the same time your feet keep the 4/4 beat...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

yeah sounds right to me, besides the fact I just learned what polyies about 2 days ago, do u mean that if the 2 rythms your doing are not divisible by each other its harder? because its an odd and even number... i dont know something like that mabye someone can interpret my crazy english. see i just had to google the word interpret

User Info Menu

Man, I'm staying out of this discussion, but I am reading every post! I'm soaking it up, because I didn't know about polyrhythms. You guys are making it pretty clear, though, so thanks. Of course easy understanding is certainly different from ease to perform!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

when i first got on here, i was hearing the word singles stroke, and i was like... im never gonna make it here

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's amazing what you can learn around here. I also think the beauty of DrumChat is that it causes me to look into so many things.

I am constantly doing research just to keep up with you people. I don't have any time to practice my drumming!!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey Bob! That was your 1000dth post! You sure do waffle on!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Polyrhythms?

Polyrhythms are incredible. If you guys want to check out some fantastic polyrhythms, check out these bands, some are more metal than some of you may like but I recommend you give them a listen because they do some really neat stuff.

Meshuggah is a big poly math metal band.
    The New Periphery CD is great!
    Veil of Maya
    Obsidian
    Frank Zappa
    Mudvayne
    Tool
    Dream Theatre
    Dillinger Escape Plan
    King Crimson

There are tons but that shoulda get ya started.

User Info Menu

What's been described so far is opposing rthyms. Playing one rhythm against the other at the same time. Polyrthms can also be complimentary which is usually done with accents and sycopation buried within a rhythm..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markis441 View Post
    I've heard of these and also that they sound pretty Cool but what are they exactly?

The easiest polyrhythm known is the 2/3 but 3/4 is just as simple. For polyrhythm done with hands, a simple 2/3 exercise is to start with a left flam and...

Like this (imagine the bottom line as your right hand and the upper line as your left).:

Search Wiki & polyrhythm
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

the wiki article only covers really simple polyrhythmic stuff, at least in the way of learning what they are. search up instructional stuff and buy some books if you really wanna learn them. otherwise, learn your time signatures well and write your own.

this thread is really old, but whatever. a polyrhythm is exactly what it says it is. a mixture of patterns, whether in different time signatures or not, possibly opposing or maybe complimenting.

- Mapex Meridian Maple Studioease - Sabian Xs20 - Paiste Alpha -