Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a noise complaint with E-kit

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got a noise complaint with E-kit

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post

12 AM means anybody could be awake or asleep, especially with the recent release of Grand Theft Auto 5.
    I'm not a gamer, but this struck me as hilarious.

I'm surprised that you are getting noise complaints in a student housing apartment complex. Maybe its changed in the (cough, cough) few years since I was a coed, but back then the only student housing that was quiet after midnight was the honor students' dorm...

I hope you find a solution that will work for you (and your neighbors)
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Im a drummer but if you started playing at midnight Id have a serious problem with it. Have you tried playing at 4pm and seen if you get complaints?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Im a drummer but if you started playing at midnight Id have a serious problem with it. Have you tried playing at 4pm and seen if you get complaints?
    +1........................may be a little more leeway in a college dorm though

Welcome Back NR

User Info Menu

I also have this issue but i get away with it to an extent. I find the sound travels down through the legs of my rack and from the kick pedal. I've tried various things (not the tennis ball board) and most of them seemed to only help marginally i.e tennis balls on the rack legs, various foam and polystyrene blocks under the legs and pedals etc etc. I was talking to my dad about it who is an engineer an he said anything soft like that isn't dense enough to stop the sound penetrating it and the best method to isolate the sound from hitting the room floor would be concrete slabs or similar. i haven't tried it mainly because my E kit room is the guest room with a folding bed and i dont want to have to move them but if you have the space i'd try it, it kind of makes sense to me that the sound cant penetrate the concrete
    “The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”
    Hunter S Thompson.

User Info Menu

I have built a tennis ball based platform, pretty much exactly like the one pictured here, and, I use it just to keep the sound of my bass pedal quiet - note - I have electronic drums and use a headset, so no sound leaves my headphones.

I play up to 11 PM. I don't play after 11 PM because in our locale, that's the time when it's possible I'm interfering with other people's quiet enjoyment of the premises. Though I have performed some 2,3 AM sessions, I haven't received any complaints, but I don't like to push my luck so I try to stick to 11 PM.

Use thick MDF stuff - note - the tennis balls will lose their shape after a while, and you'll have to replace them probably yearly. My platform is 2' x 4' and the Alesis rack and bass sits atop the platform, along with a 2nd Alesis pedal that I use either as a high hat pedal or a 2nd bass pedal - you get used to using the ePedal. Total weight including MDF is probably < 50 pounds.

Since the other eDrums (toms and snare) are not an issue, they don't need to sit on the platform - only the foot gear, the noisy stuff, is on the platform.

I bought a tall adjustable bar stool for $50 (Canadian Tire) to accommodate for the height differential between the platform and the floor. It is superior to a drum throne - adjustable, padded, excellent construction, and I don't have to sit on a platform. My bar stool rests entirely on the floor, which makes balance a non issue. But if you put your throne on a platform, I believe, you're going to be wobbling around like a drunken sailor, you'll compress the tennis balls considerably, and you will lose noise suppression, and besides, your butt is not, after all, making noise, so putting oneself on the platform is at best a waste of time. Consider that point carefully - if you put a 150 to 200 pound man on that platform, the balls have to now support your weight, and the weight o f the MDF, compressing the balls so much they will lose flex - and flex is what suppresses noise - so I suspect you'll ruin any noise suppression you might have once achieved if you put your weight on that tennis ball platform.

What I'm suggesting isn't the only way to do it, but it is a way that works.

Last edited by Rickkus; 09-27-2013 at 12:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickkus View Post
    I have built a tennis ball based platform, pretty much exactly like the one pictured here, and, I use it just to keep the sound of my bass pedal quiet - note - I have electronic drums and use a headset, so no sound leaves my headphones.

I play up to 11 PM. I don't play after 11 PM because in our locale, that's the time when it's possible I'm interfering with other people's quiet enjoyment of the premises. Though I have performed some 2,3 AM sessions, I haven't received any complaints, but I don't like to push my luck so I try to stick to 11 PM.

Use thick MDF stuff - note - the tennis balls will lose their shape after a while, and you'll have to replace them probably yearly. My platform is 2' x 4' and the Alesis rack and bass sits atop the platform, along with a 2nd Alesis pedal that I use either as a high hat pedal or a 2nd bass pedal - you get used to using the ePedal. Total weight including MDF is probably < 50 pounds.

Since the other eDrums (toms and snare) are not an issue, they don't need to sit on the platform - only the foot gear, the noisy stuff, is on the platform.

I bought a tall adjustable bar stool for $50 (Canadian Tire) to accommodate for the height differential between the platform and the floor. It is superior to a drum throne - adjustable, padded, excellent construction, and I don't have to sit on a platform. My bar stool rests entirely on the floor, which makes balance a non issue. But if you put your throne on a platform, I believe, you're going to be wobbling around like a drunken sailor, you'll compress the tennis balls considerably, and you will lose noise suppression, and besides, your butt is not, after all, making noise, so putting oneself on the platform is at best a waste of time. Consider that point carefully - if you put a 150 to 200 pound man on that platform, the balls have to now support your weight, and the weight o f the MDF, compressing the balls so much they will lose flex - and flex is what suppresses noise - so I suspect you'll ruin any noise suppression you might have once achieved if you put your weight on that tennis ball platform.

What I'm suggesting isn't the only way to do it, but it is a way that works.

For some reason, the whole sitting separate from the platform seems awkward, but makes sense.............do you have any pics?

User Info Menu

Sure.

Ok this shows the compression using standard 0.75" to 1" MDF:

And here's the bar stool, with adjustable height - it's a substantial throne. The room is a bit chaotic presently - doing some sanding, painting not a lot of vacuuming in that tennis ball area lol so it's a dust haven - but I think you can see it works just fine.

I find conventional drum thrones awkward,...I have a Gibraltar throne and it's non adjustable in height, and fairly flimsy, in my view.
    Last edited by Rickkus; 09-28-2013 at 08:37 AM.