Thread: Dream Theater (2013)

User Info Menu

Default Dream Theater (2013)

Mangini is killin' it, right? I've always liked him and Portnoy. Mangini certainly leaves his full mark on this album. He so fast!
    The music is so very DT. I love the theme and the flow. There's a lot of similarities to other albums (always is...they tend to weave elements from other albums into current ones both lyrically and musically). i especially love the abundance of RUSH-ish feel (Looking Glass, Surrender to Reason and Illumination Thoery). They've always been open about their influences, and it's great to hear those influences. I picked up a bit of Steve Morse in there too somewherre
    It's good to hear Myung again. Loving the sound of the bass on this one! And he wrote some of the ltrics too as far as I understand.

Check it out if you get the chance! If you like Dream Theater, I'm sure you'll enjoy this new album!
    TEARL

www.BreakingSilenceCO.com

I play PDP (X-7 Maple) and Sabian Xs...mostly because I'm not rich

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dream Theater (2013)

I haven't gotten the chance to listen to the entire album, but I've picked up bits and pieces. I really enjoyed The Enemy Inside and I was glad to see they weren't afraid to go heavy on a single; great song and I love the bridge. Alot of the other stuff I heard was very reminiscent of their older material, which is probably the downfall of this record.
    Two other songs that stuck out to me were the instrumental and the twenty+ minute song. Both of them definitely compete with their counterparts (Dance Of Eternity and Octavarium-length songs) and I really found myself immersed in the music. When these guys do a great 20 minute song, its such an experience and I love it.
    Hopefully I can get a chance to really dig into the music and listen. Still gotta listen to the new Alter Bridge album as well.

User Info Menu

This album is excellent. One of their best in my opinion.

User Info Menu

New DT "The Astonishing comes out on Jan 29th 2016.

here's a track from it, The Gift of Music
    https://youtu.be/CdPn1mCmqoE

User Info Menu

^I was so excited to see that news come out! I'm a big DT fan and I've come to accept Mike Mangini as I was a HUGE Portnoy fan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    New DT "The Astonishing comes out on Jan 29th
    I pre-ordered and will be happy to receive soon.
    This one is a double-album.

Although Portnoy was mercurial, he is an amazing and influential drummer; Mangini is an easier person to deal with and one of the few that could have filled that role.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I pre-ordered and will be happy to receive soon.
    This one is a double-album.

Although Portnoy was mercurial, he is an amazing and influential drummer; Mangini is an easier person to deal with and one of the few that could have filled that role.
    Absolutely agree. They are both very different characters but I have great respect for how Magini has approached the role in both honering Portnoys previous contribution and influence but still being his own man. Personally, I find Portnoys drumming carries a little more personality but this is probably because Mangini is so good and so perfect that it is almost mechanical. That said, I enjoy Mangini's drumming immensley it just lacks a little humanity at times.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Yes...............agreed.

I've seen DT live twice and it is just short of unbelievable.
    All of the instrumentalists are beyond talented.

Also two years ago I saw the Winery Dogs with Portnoy; he was playing a 5-pc. kit with a double-pedal and it was impressive, to say the least.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Yes...............agreed.

I've seen DT live twice and it is just short of unbelievable.
    All of the instrumentalists are beyond talented.

Also two years ago I saw the Winery Dogs with Portnoy; he was playing a 5-pc. kit with a double-pedal and it was impressive, to say the least.
    Winery Dogs are a firm favourite in my recent collection. All three of them are on top form and Portnoys playing is up there. I really do liek their latest album proving (to be at least) that they are not just a one album get together. Stylistcally, they are very different to DT and more my standard classic rock based preference. But, for shear immersive musicallity, DT are my go to band.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    New DT "The Astonishing" comes out on Jan 29th
    I found this (balanced) review of the new album...................

http://progreport.com/dream-theater-...-album-review/
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian