Thread: Not sure how I'm going to spread these mics around...

User Info Menu

Default Not sure how I'm going to spread these mics around...

I've only ever recorded my drums by putting my 8-track mixer/recorder on the ground a few feet in front of the kick drum. Obviously some drums were picked up better than others, but I didn't really care. I recently bought the CAD Pro-4 microphone pack, which should be delivered in a few days. I'm not sure how I'm going to set up 4 mics. I've got a typical 5 piece kit (two rack toms, one floor), but I also have an 18" floor tom in addition to that, which I keep on the other side of the kit from the 16" floor tom (the 18" tom is cut off in the picture- it's on the left).

I have no experience with miking drums, but from what I'm hearing, with a 4-mic set, it's one mic bass drum, one mic snare, and then I don't know. Looking at how this is set up, with floor toms on either side of me, do you expect 4 mics to be enough?

Sorry that the picture sucks. The 18" tom is cut off in the lower left corner of the picture.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Not sure how I'm going to spread these mics around...

put one tom mic between the rack toms and one between the floor toms ...basically you will have to move the floor tome back over the right