Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cymbal stands on a budget?

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal stands on a budget?

Hi all, first time poster here.

Apologies in advance if this subject has been discussed already.

I'm seeking a cheap though durable and sturdy cymbal stand for my 18'' crash, what is a good one for me to take a look at?
    I'm currently looking at the Gibraltar 4609 Arm stand, which is apperently a very popular stand.

Also, due to the Splash cymbal purchase I'm gonna make in a near future, what is the best way to mount a splash cymbal?
    Am I better off having a separate stand for it, or is clamping it to another stand best?

Would love to hear your suggestions,

josephusz

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal stands on a budget?

Hi. Welcome to DC josephusz. Gibraltar stands are indeed strong and durable for a decent price point as well. As for mounting splashes, utilizing a separate stand just to mount a splash I've never seen before. Usually something like this is used. It mounts off of a stand like you said.

Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Welcome, Joe. Definitely no need to buy a second stand just to mount a splash. Now if you're planning to add more cymbals down the road, then yeah, I can see the rationale. Also, you might do a bit better for the price looking around your local pawn shops. Drums and hardware are pretty ubiquitous. Might find something even more substantial for the same price as brand new.

User Info Menu

I bought a 2pk of Sound Percussion stands with the hide-away boom arms. They are not "high end", but they are plenty solid enough for my 1 or 2 gigs per month. Best part, it only cost like $69 total for the both of them with free shipping and no tax.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I bought a 2pk of Sound Percussion stands with the hide-away boom arms. They are not "high end", but they are plenty solid enough for my 1 or 2 gigs per month. Best part, it only cost like $69 total for the both of them with free shipping and no tax.
    Me too. Worthwhile purchase but a pin came out of one of the adjustable tilter holders, allowing the tilter to sometimes swivel. Pounded a nail thru the hole to fix it. No problems since.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I keep a $10 roll pin assortment on hand for just such situations!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I bought some 600 series Basix stands a couple years ago. They been set up and torn down repeatedly since and have been holding up. They are the straight stands with hideaway boom arms rubber feet, chrome top wing nut, just one extension point which is enough for me
    Last edited by slinky; 10-05-2013 at 06:10 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I would look around for used stands. I got a Tama RoadPro hideaway boom stand for $10 yesterday, in great shape. Check online as well as local stores that take in used stuff.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'm going to buy the Gibraltar stand, but not after some searching for some secondhand quality as psc90 suggested.
    I currently own a very solid Mapex stand (cant identify the type) which only cost me like 30 euros secondhanded. But I kind of want to have a brand new stand; dont know really why lol, might as well do some searching on eBay now.

User Info Menu

I can vouch for both Pearl and Pdp stands, both solid and well made. +1 to the small clamp mount for the splash too, definitely the easiest and cheapest way to go about that.

User Info Menu

PDP 800 series...
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

i love my drumcraft series 7 and 8 stands ...amazing value

if you can, dont skimp on stands ...you will regret it in the future

User Info Menu

craigslist is where I'd look.

User Info Menu

I mount mine on one of those Yamaha "cymbal extensions"...its an arm that replaces the normal cymbal tilter...one the upper end of the extension the arm allows you to place the cymbal tilter onto the extension arm ...thereby giving you a place to put the splash cymbal which is now on top of the 18" crash. Gibraltar makes a similar extension...you remove the wing nut on your crash cymbal and screw on the Gibraltar extension...the extension has the washer...the felts and the wing nut...allowing you to place the splash on top of the crash...Ive used this set up for years and years...I'd be lost without it.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    I mount mine on one of those Yamaha "cymbal extensions"...its an arm that replaces the normal cymbal tilter...one the upper end of the extension the arm allows you to place the cymbal tilter onto the extension arm ...thereby giving you a place to put the splash cymbal which is now on top of the 18" crash. Gibraltar makes a similar extension...you remove the wing nut on your crash cymbal and screw on the Gibraltar extension...the extension has the washer...the felts and the wing nut...allowing you to place the splash on top of the crash...Ive used this set up for years and years...I'd be lost without it.
    I've a couple of DW ones that I bought second-hand....great little device they are, especially if you're playing a percussion set-up squeezed tightly in a corner.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I would add don't buy just because a stand is double braced-that means more weight to carry if you gig. I have yet to see a stand collapse from cymbal weight. My single braced stands work just fine, thank you .
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I would add don't buy just because a stand is double braced-that means more weight to carry if you gig. I have yet to see a stand collapse from cymbal weight. My single braced stands work just fine, thank you .
    Finally someone else said it!

The only thing that matters is the distribution of weight. If the legs spread out enough for your cymbal you'll be fine. The reason double braced is nice is because it adds weight closer to the ground to keep a cymbal from making a stand top heavy. But a lightweight double braced is not as good as a medium weight single braced.

Unfortunately people think "double braced" is a make or break, when unless its a boom or a huge cymbal on a straight IT WONT MATTER.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I've used single-braced for cymbals of various sizes and weights before and I have had no problems. However I use double-braced stands now for just about everything because I clamp so many items onto the stands that any single-braced one just feels very unstable or just falls over. As for splashes, Gibraltar 6" Mini Cymbal Stackers. They give you enough room between the 2 cymbals and they're cheap! That or mini boom arms if you want more flexibility, however I've been fine with the stackers...and I use at least 5 splashes all the time, 4 of them are on these stackers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKC75 View Post
    craigslist is where I'd look.
    He lives overseas. No craigslist. Craigslist sucks anyway. No buyer or seller protection in place.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    He lives overseas. No craigslist. Craigslist sucks anyway. No buyer or seller protection in place.
    I've sold things locally on Craigslist and had no issues. Wouldn't imagine shipping would be a smart move though because there's really no way to prove anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I've sold things locally on Craigslist and had no issues. Wouldn't imagine shipping would be a smart move though because there's really no way to prove anything.
    Exactly one of my points. And actually selling is safer than buying as well. The seller has all of the control. The buyer is the one in potential danger as your arriving at an unfamiliar place with a pocket full of money. Bring someone with you.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I always have them meet me in front of the police station.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roosto View Post
    Man, what a great idea!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roosto View Post
    Yes, that’s a good idea. We have Quick Trip stores in our area where people like to make exchanges, always brightly lit, video surveilled, and busy. Plus I have an advanced black belt and I’m always armed. The one time I traveled out of town to do a porch pick up I checked the area on Google maps and found what background I could about the seller on the net. Never had a problem.
    The boomy things:
    Mapex Orion Classic 6 pc, transparent violet burl
    The pingy/crashy things:
    K Custom Dark and K Darks
    K Sweet
    Meinl Byzance
    Silken Sebring and Avus
    Dream Bliss and Contact
    More cowbells than I have cows.
    The "quiet time" things:
    Zildjian L80 low volume cymbals
    Aquarian Super-Pads
    Roland TD9, Pintech drum triggers, Yamaha cymbal triggers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by josephusz View Post

Also, due to the Splash cymbal purchase I'm gonna make in a near future, what is the best way to mount a splash cymbal?

Am I better off having a separate stand for it, or is clamping it to another stand best?

Would love to hear your suggestions,

josephusz
    I had to bump this up. I've only seen a splash cymbal mounted like this just one other time and I winced when I saw this on my local CL today. The amount of stress that's put on the hoop to keep the clamp from moving must be tremendous not to mention the strain on the shell when the cymbal is struck. :(