Thread: How do I tune an 18" floor tom?

User Info Menu

Default How do I tune an 18" floor tom?

I have just added an 18" floor tom to my Crush Acrylic kit and am having trouble getting it to sound good. I just assumed it would be like a 16, but bigger. The dealer threw in a pinstripe for free, which I also thought would be a good choice. If I tune it down low like I usually do with my 16, it sounds really thin and papery, like there is no bottom head on the drum. When I bring it up a little, it gets boingy (sorry, I can't think of a better word), like a basketball bouncing in an empty gym.

This is my first 18" drum. If anyone has any experience getting one to sound good, please speak up. I'm a Remo user and need to stick with clear heads, but will use any weight that will work. I don't think my problems are caused by the shell material, because all the other drums sound great. I have a DrumDial, so if anyone wants to get into numbers, that's fine.

Since no good thread can be without pictures...

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do I tune an 18" floor tom?

how are you tuning your reso?

User Info Menu

I tune mine the same way I tune my 16", just a little deeper.

User Info Menu

Have you tried to tune the reso tight and then your batter just over wrinkles? 18" are gonna give you a deep sound..I like using a mallet stick on my 16"s sometimes. However I am not too familiar with clear heads..always used coated.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

theres not much that anyone can tell ya . youll just have to mess with both heads until you come up with something that you like , then when you get it sounding good , tune the rest of your drums to it ...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

that is a sweet picture! your beater selection is interesting. do you get much punch out of the kick with the main pedal?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

From my experience,I tried a different combination of heads and I found that a thicker head on the 18" made it easy to tune and get the boom you are seeking.
    Look at it as a bass drum and how thick the heads are,in fact,some people do use an 18" bass drum.
    The combo I found and liked was a Hydraulic on top and EC2 on bottom. It seemed to give me the sound I was looking for but not everyone is looking for the same sound. Try a coated head.I have seen that used on kits a lot.Clear heads on the entire kit except for the 18" floor tom.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

I have an 18" Pulse floor tom and 22" bass drum that I bought as an add-on.

The best results I had were to bring the reso up to a pitch higher than you'd expect. (You should be able to compare with the 16" reso to ensure the 18 is a little deeper.) On the top, be ready.....I used a clear black dot. That gave me a thwap like you've never heard. After that I tried a clear pin and that head is still on there. Same deep thwap but with no overtones.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

On mine I have both of the heads SUPER loose. Sounds so-so behind the kit, but sounds HUGE under a mic.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

I would agree that the bottom reso should be fairly tight. Heck, maybe you can cut a port in the bottom head, just like you would an 18" bass drum. That will keep the resonance inside between the heads to a minimum and cut down on the "boinggggg". Put the Pinstripe on the batter head, tighten it for the stick action you want and see how it sounds.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Ahh, the mythical 18" floor tom aka a fine looking coffee table. I never could get a very good sound out of my 18". I read about a guy using cotton balls inside the drum to help muffle. The cotton balls would help control the boing, but weren't as deadening as say s piece of moongel. I believe it was the Shannon Larkin interview from like 8 years ago. Anywhoo, good luck with your new coffee table/ I mean floor tom. Sweet looking kit BTW
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

i love my 18 almost more than my 16. Someone mentioned clears all around and coated on the 18. I've always seen that the other way around but maybe it works good that way. Don't know much about acrylic shells but with my wood shell if I put my ear close to the head then start tuning it, it sounds bad ***. They are singing more than you think.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

had a issue with my 18" acrylic too pinstripe as well

ended up putting a clear power stroke 4 on...helped control it a bit

User Info Menu

I've played an 18 for decades.
    I use a clear Emp on batter and a clear Ambo on reso.
    Sometimes with a "zero-ring".
    The batter is tuned a turn or two on each lug over wrinkles.
    The reso slightly tighter.
    Sounds awesome.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I've found 18 floors to sound rather thin. There is a reason why larger diameter drums such as tymps and basses are played with mallets and beaters. I don't think a wooden drum stick can pull enough sound from the drum. Of course this is only opinion. I have no scientific evidence to back my claim. My set of USA came with a 18" floor and I soon discovered I didn't like it, so it became a bass drum and now I love it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Shane, I've never owned one...................played one on a friends kit.......................he had an Evans Hydraulic on the top and bottom......................sounded great IMO and I'm not a big hydraulic/pinstripe fan normally

User Info Menu

I had the same tuning problem with my 16x13 tom. Really couldn't get a solid sound from it like I could my 14x11. Either too thin or boingy. So I just don't use it.

User Info Menu

Wow - thanks for all the great advice everyone.

Typically I tune the reso heads on my 10 and 12 tighter than the batter heads and on the 14 and 16 I usually match them.

Here's my plan based on what I already was considering and what you all suggested. I'll try them all and see what works best.

• Crank up the reso head, drop the batter
    • Mic the drum and see if it sounds good out front (I don't always close mic my toms live, so this is situational)
    • Try a small port hole in the reso head
    • Get some clear black dots (Control Sound - I've been thinking about trying these anyway)
    • Try the Powerstroke
    • Leave it at home

I'll report back when I have a working solution. Thanks to all for the help!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    that is a sweet picture! your beater selection is interesting. do you get much punch out of the kick with the main pedal?
    That's the Vater Vintage Bomber that I have been using for a couple of years now. I get none of the "click" sound on attack, but still plenty of punch. It's more boomy and less focused than a hard beater. It also super light. I tried to use 2 for the double, but they are so big they hit each other.