Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading the kit

User Info Menu

Default Upgrading the kit

I've been drumming for around 2/3 weeks and so far I love it, I haven't taken lessons yet though, just getting used to the drums and messing around with them. Now so far all I have is a basic 5 piece drum kit (mapex tornado) and a no name hi-hat and crash and I want to get some new cymbals to add on to it.

Now I'm just wondering.. is it better for me as a new drummer to just buy a cheap pack of cymbals or should I spend the big bucks and go for better cymbals and add on to the kit slowly rather than all at once. I'm thinking of getting this set... to start me off, then upgrade piece-by-piece once I have more experience and preferences.

Also, essentially the same question again. I want a double kick pedal, again.. should I go cheap to get me started or spend a bit more. I was considering the DW 2000-3000's if I were to go that route.

Thanks for the help if I get any lol.

[links removed. Please read the forum rules before posting -Tom]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Upgrading the kit

Well try it and if you don't like it then sell it.

User Info Menu

Jimmy, maybe you can go with something inbetween, like maybe don't go with the cheapest or the most expensive but mid-line gear. I would stay away from the real cheap stuff. You'll just waste your money. At least the mid-level stuff will last awhile.

Hope this helps just a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJonCricket View Post
    I've been drumming for around 2/3 weeks and so far I love it, I haven't taken lessons yet though, just getting used to the drums and messing around with them. Now so far all I have is a basic 5 piece drum kit (mapex tornado) and a no name hi-hat and crash and I want to get some new cymbals to add on to it.

Now I'm just wondering.. is it better for me as a new drummer to just buy a cheap pack of cymbals or should I spend the big bucks and go for better cymbals and add on to the kit slowly rather than all at once. I'm thinking of getting this set... to start me off, then upgrade piece-by-piece once I have more experience and preferences.

Also, essentially the same question again. I want a double kick pedal, again.. should I go cheap to get me started or spend a bit more. I was considering the DW 2000-3000's if I were to go that route.

Thanks for the help if I get any lol.

[links removed. Please read the forum rules before posting -Tom]

The best advice I could give is to scour your local CL and buy used quality gear.............you can buy high end cymbals for the price of entry level cymbals...........same for the pedals...........good luck
    Last edited by longgun; 10-10-2013 at 03:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat JimmyJonCricket, and 8beat!

JJC, when I started drumming, I went with a set of Zildjian ZBT's. They were ok, but the crashes just grated on my ears after a short while. Others have said that Sabian B8 cymbals sound better than the ZBT's, but I can't confirm that.

I like your thinking, though, because early on you'll need to work on your cymbal strike technique, so why risk cracking a really good cymbal, because you didn't know that you need to pay attention to how you strike the cymbal. If you already understand these things, then go for what you can afford, and consider good used cymbals.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    The best advise I could give is to scour your local CL and buy used quality gear.............you can buy high end cymbals for the price of entry level cymbals...........same for the pedals...........good luck
    What he said^^^^
    You might also frequent the local pawn shops and used music stores if you have any close.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Guess I'm not suppose to use links, but the cymbals I was getting was just a pack of Sabian SBR's, the hi-hat, crash, ride (I really need a ride) and a splash with the cymbal bag and some sticks for $180. and then for the double kick it was the mapex p500tw for 90 bucks.

If I'm going to go the mid-route, what would you guys suggest? I was looking at the Sabian XS20's, any thoughts? My buddy said to stay away from zildjian because they break easily. And I'm not too sure on Meinl/Paiste cymbals..

User Info Menu

I would, depending on what your budget is, look for used cymbals. Try E-Bay as well. It's a lot safer than craigslist. XS20's I've heard are great mid level cymbals. A new cymbal set goes for about $500.00. B8 Sabians go for $300.00 for a new set. I think the SBR brass cymbals will leave you wanting for something better sooner than later. You can make any drum sound better with good tuning and decent heads. But a cymbal is what it is. And crappy cymbals are hard to live with after you realize that they are indeed crappy. Also, since your just starting out and if your interested, there are tons of teaching video's on the net that will teach you everything from how to hold your sticks, to how to play all of the rudiments, to rock, jazz, etc. basic beats to practice. Don't hesitate to ask a ton of questions here as this is the friendliest drumming site on the net. We love to answer questions from new people unlike those other sites where so called drumming veterans can't be bothered and treat newbies like idiots. Welcome and good luck in your drumming journey.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Hi JJC and welcome to DC. I could not help myself over the comment about Zildjan cymbal breaking easily. I have Vintage Zildjian A's ( Avedis) that I bought new in 1970 and still play them today. Believe me after playing for 40 years hard and soft they still look and sound great. So that logic is false so tell your buddy that. I agree with a lot of the comments above buy middle end stuff and you can always upgrade later. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoncricket View Post
    my buddy said to stay away from zildjian because they break easily.
    Wrong!!

I think I'd stay away from that person as an influence. They apparently don't know what they are doing if they are breaking cymbals. In my 35+ years of drumming I've only had one broken cymbal and it wasn't me that cracked it. But I have fun making the crack grow.
    Last edited by Bish; 10-09-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

^ Exactly. People have their cymbal preferences (eg: my tends to be mostly Paistes with the occasional Zildjian or UFIP added), but you won't often see me hold a bad opinion on another brand, usually because I've heard other drummers cymbals or have tried and owned others in the past.

Yes, I have cracked some over the years (more so when I was younger, more brash hitter) but sometimes that would have been attributed more to picking the wrong type of cymbal (eg a small thin crash whilst playing hard rock) for the music more than anything else. Over the years I've gone from style to style playing in a wide range of dynamics from very loud punk and heavy bands through to the lightest of percussion situations and so forth (where splashes, small chinas and special effects cymbals are what you'd find I'll carry).

As you're only just starting your drumming journey, the best thing is that you'll need at least a hi-hat, ride cymbal and one or two crashes in your set-up. Get used to playing and controlling those before you worry about going the whole hog.

As others have mentioned, you can find some great used, second hand cymbals that would have been sold for a lot more at the time of their original retail (at least more than half of the various cymbals I own I've bought second hand, whether from stores or from private sales). When you are ready to do so, do have someone who has some experience as well as unbiased views to come along with you to offer advice and help when checking out cymbals.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drumchat JJC.
    The best thing you can do is listen to these guys. They have lifetimes of experience in all things drumming, so you'll get far better advice from them than from any friends who think they know stuff.
    Good luck in your hunt.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

When low on funds, it's harder to spend more on nice gear. But, after years of going cheap, honestly dude, buy once, cry once. Save up to get some nice stuff. However, that's just like, my opinion.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    When low on funds, it's harder to spend more on nice gear. But, after years of going cheap, honestly dude, buy once, cry once. Save up to get some nice stuff. However, that's just like, my opinion.
    It might be YOUR opinion but I guarantee others agree!

Well said, K.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I would stay away from brass cymbals completely. Even as a beginner. Something like a Paiste PST3 or Sabian SBR may be an improvement over what you have, but they're still not really good for much more than just practice. Plus...if you decide you dont like them, you'll have a hard time trying to sell or trade them. If you MUST cut corners, at least go with Mid-level bronze stuff.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    I'm no expert by all means, but I do agree with your statement.

I bought zildgin hi hats, ride, and one crash, all ZBT and I won't even hit the crash anymore. it actually hurts my ears in the room where my set is.
    I can deal with the ride better than the others, but still mostly play on the hi hats.

I wish a thousand times over I had bought better cymbals to start with but in the beginning, my ears just couldn't really tell what sounded good.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've sorta hit a wall in which I realized I shouldn't be spending so much and save up my checks for college, but when I'm in a good spot I think I'll just start out with buying a XS20 ride and DW 3000's and go from there. I'm just excited for when I have a full-on million cymbal kit to play around on. Going to get a practice pad to practice rudiments though in the mean time. Also, I just noticed that the edge of my crash is starting to get dents too, is this normal? am I hitting too hard/wrong or just signs of a bad cymbal? Probably both but someone feel free to chime in.
    Last edited by JimmyJonCricket; 10-09-2013 at 11:18 PM.

User Info Menu

What brand and type is it? If it's a no name that came with the kit from a store as a package it's 95% junk and wouldn't matter how you hit it, it will still bend or break. Being that your new it could be all three reasons to some extent. But mostly because their no name cymbals. If you haven't seen this before, you might as well start practicing this technique now. Have fun!

Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    What brand and type is it? If it's a no name that came with the kit from a store as a package it's 95% junk and wouldn't matter how you hit it, it will still bend or break. Being that your new it could be all three reasons to some extent. But mostly because their no name cymbals. If you haven't seen this before, you might as well start practicing this technique now. Have fun!

they're no-names, they literally say "Crash" and "Hi-Hat" on them in big letters lol. And I'll have to try that out, I've just been hitting em straight on.

User Info Menu

As a new drummer myself, I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents:

I think it's definitely better to go with fewer, nicer things than a lot of cheap stuff because for one, you won't be happy (for long) going cheap and then you're kinda stuck. Also, when you're first starting out, you're still figuring out what kind of sound you want and how you're gonna create it. Plus, it's a LOT easier having fewer toys to bang on when you're first getting down the fundamentals. I found that having a bunch of stuff made me want to just go hitting everything all the time just because I thought I should. Much better to go with a basic kit, like a 4-5 piece, hats, a ride, a crash (maybe 2 at most), single pedals, etc. Once you figure out your sound and get good at making it, you can expand from there and have the acquired knowledge of what you need to add, which will save you time and expense in the future. 'Course, now that I have my dream kit built, I'm not gonna scale it back. I've just started to learn and acquire the discipline of not having to use everything I've got, just because I've got it.

User Info Menu

go used on everything, you'll get such a better deal.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I agree with searching local Cragslist or Ebay!

You can get quality stuff for way cheaper and sometimes barley used.

That's how I always try and buy cymbals. I usually look for in store demos on Ebay that are being sold at a huge discount.

Invest in good cymbals now with what you are happy with instead of settling. You can make most drum kits sound good if tuned right.

But crappy cymbals will always just sound like crappy cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJonCricket View Post
    Guess I'm not suppose to use links, but the cymbals I was getting was just a pack of Sabian SBR's, the hi-hat, crash, ride (I really need a ride) and a splash with the cymbal bag and some sticks for $180. and then for the double kick it was the mapex p500tw for 90 bucks.

If I'm going to go the mid-route, what would you guys suggest? I was looking at the Sabian XS20's, any thoughts? My buddy said to stay away from zildjian because they break easily. And I'm not too sure on Meinl/Paiste cymbals..
    My suggestion is upgrading your cymbals one at a time, starting with a ride if you don't have one, or if you do have one, choose between upgrading it or your hi-hats first. Those are the cymbals you'll use most. I suggest shopping around for cymbals that sound good to you. (I wouldn't buy a cymbal sound unheard just because someone said it sounds good. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to sound.) Youtube is a good resource. Odds are good you can find a video about the cymbal(s) you're considering on that site.

As for Zildjian, Meinl, and Paiste, they all make good cymbals, as does Sabian. I have cymbals from all these makers, and I couldn't be happier with them. The only downside to Meinl cymbals is the cost (they tend to be pricey), but they are worth the price.
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Have drums, will travel.

WARNING: Practical joke-playing drummer ahead!

User Info Menu

I have a set of nice brilliant finish Sabian Xs20 14" High Hat cymbals that I'm looking to part with, if you go that route; you can have a matching set. These are in perfect shape. PM me if interested.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I have a set of nice brilliant finish Sabian Xs20 14" High Hat cymbals that I'm looking to part with, if you go that route; you can have a matching set. These are in perfect shape. PM me if interested.
    i can't private message yet lol.. how much are you looking for?