Thread: Odd and interesting instruments

User Info Menu

Default Odd and interesting instruments

I love wandering around youtube looking for interesting percussion videos showing instruments that I haven't seen before. I would love to see what your favorite finds are. Here is one that caught my attention recently. It is the Orthogonal Lap Drum

Last edited by DrumDame; 10-12-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: error
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    12" Toca Synergy Vuur Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    8" X 14" Mid-East metal Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum
    ...and more to come, I hope...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Odd and interesting instruments

Crikey, I've a few...

African Talking Drum or 'tama'....

Slit drum or tongue drum on the right there, next to one of my glockenspiels....

Indonesian 'saron'....albeit a cheap junky touristy one...but it works

Indian tabla...which I am a complete klutz on at the moment. Haven't got time to dedicate to it as yet.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Very cool! I've seen or heard all except the saron, which looks very cool. I haven't played any of them, other than just plunking at a slit drum that was for sale at the Renaissance Festival. The woman who leads the drum circle I get to fairly regularly has a talking drum, but I haven't messed with it yet. Maybe next time. It has some interesting sounds, just not quite sure what to do with it
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Odd and interesting instruments

Must admit the orthagonal lap drum has a passing resemblance to the tabla, at least when it is played. Wonder if they're somehow, even remotely, related?

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

African Talking Drum??? My wife and son talk enough the way it is....the last thing I need is for my drums to start talking as well......especially if they start telling my wife about the things they see me do at some of the gigs!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Must admit the orthagonal lap drum has a passing resemblance to the tabla, at least when it is played. Wonder if they're somehow, even remotely, related?
    Only to the point of someone using the tabla as a starting point for their new idea by saying, "Hmmm, if we add this and then add that... we've got a new drum that we can call our own!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Only to the point of someone using the tabla as a starting point for their new idea by saying, "Hmmm, if we add this and then add that... we've got a new drum that we can call our own!" Seriously, I think it was a pretty cool idea. There's a lot you can do with this drum.

User Info Menu

I think this would be a very fun drum to play. He put a lot of different sounds into a fairly compact space. If you search on this guy on Youtube, you can find other instruments that he has created. Very creative guy. And, as he mentions in the video, there is no concern about playing these correctly, according to the originating culture, because he made them up. I know some folks for whom that would be a concern otherwise.
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum

User Info Menu

This one is sort of like putting a cajon in your lap.

LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumDame View Post
    This one is sort of like putting a cajon in your lap.

That is pretty cool, wouldn't mind hearing one with snares.

User Info Menu

That is pretty cool. I have an old wooden Winchester ammo box (about the same size as his Rythum box). Today I was contemplating trying to make a small version of a Cajon that could be played on the lap. I guess it would be pretty similar....same basic idea. I wonder if I could incorporate some type of drum head or skin onto it....hmmmm.

One of the guys in our band made a washboard. I haven't played it yet, but it's pretty cool. He used an old brass washboard and has all kinds of stuff....tin cans, glass medicine bottles, turtle shells, beads, etc. hanging off of it. He also made a glove with thimbles attached to the finger tips to play it with. Next is a washboard bass and a cigar box guitar, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nicolas Leroy is one helluva amazing French percussionist:

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

another Nicolas Leroy on the Bugarabu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fbvTJILhbw

User Info Menu

Very cool! He really makes that talking drum talk. The work on the bugarabu is fantastic.

N2bluz - I'd like to see what you make out of that ammo box. You must post pics!
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum

User Info Menu

These are my angklungs. In a nutshell, they consist of a couple pieces of bamboo hanging on a frame with the bottom sitting in a slit in the base. The way they work is that you shake em rapidly and the bamboo strikes the edges of the slit, creating a note. Here’s a thread I made on them a while ago: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...3.html?t=23553

Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.