Thread: New here

User Info Menu

Question New here

Well Im about to finally take the plunge ,ive been puting this off
    for years but I finally got started,Im 45 yeras old and I have always
    wanted to take drum lessons,I have found an instructor and will begin
    in 3 weeks.

My question here to you all is which one of these sets is better?
    I have narrowed it down to these 3 sets as starter sets.

1.Ludwig accent cs elite 5 piece

2.yamaha stage custom noveau hybred shell set 5 piece

3. yamaha stage custom advantage fusion shell 5 piece.

I look forward to getting to know most of you here and hope to do
    well in this adventure.
    I have the desire and will

Thanks for your help

Allan
    Cincinnati Ohio

User Info Menu

Welcome allan,

I will leave it to the other guy's to advise you on the kits as they are more experienced, like you i was 45 when i took up drumming about 9/10 months ago. And i'm having a great time it gets very frustrating at times but that's part of learning something new.

You've come to the right place for help and assistance everyone is so friendly.

Happy drumming

User Info Menu

Out of those I like the Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau. For that price range I'd rather get either the Pearl Visions VLX, Tama Super Star (which is a little more), or a Gretsch Catalina. Hell I think I want them all hehe. Blessings.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
    Well Im about to finally take the plunge ,ive been puting this off
    for years but I finally got started,Im 45 yeras old and I have always
    wanted to take drum lessons,I have found an instructor and will begin
    in 3 weeks.

My question here to you all is which one of these sets is better?
    I have narrowed it down to these 3 sets as starter sets.

1.Ludwig accent cs elite 5 piece

2.yamaha stage custom noveau hybred shell set 5 piece

3. yamaha stage custom advantage fusion shell 5 piece.

I look forward to getting to know most of you here and hope to do
    well in this adventure.
    I have the desire and will

Thanks for your help

Allan
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I would go for the Tama Imperialstar over those kits. Its about the same price and outperfoms all 3 in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Allan, If I were you I would check out the Gretsch Catalina kits. You might still be able to get it in an all birch shell, but it also comes in all ash shells, and all maple shells. I got the maple, and I love the sound. It all depends on what sound you like the best. The one drawnback is that the Catalinas are a shell pack, meaning that you get no hardware, but for the prices you are considering, you could pick up the hardware that you need. Just thought I'd throw this in to make your decision harder!

If I had to choose from the kits you are considering already, I would have to say I would choose the Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau. The lugs on that set were redesigned to allow for better shell reasonance.

Still like my Catalina maple, though!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I would choose the stage custom nouveau from those 3. However I think you're restricting yourself if you limit yourself to three drumkits. Go down to your local music store and just hit some drums.
    It doesn't matter if you cant play, just see what sound you like thats in your price range.
    Hope that helped,
    Jimbo
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Cool New here

Hey, aunkster--welcome aboard!

Not sure what kind of drumming you'd like to do--have you tested any of the three kits you mentioned? I agree with jimbo on this one--don't limit yourself to those three kits alone...even if you aren't playing specifically yet, you might find a better-sounding kit at a great price...

and of course your fellow drummers will help answer your questions...

good luck, Allen...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Allen, I agree with finding out what sound you like. If you don't play yet (I didn't when I bought the Catalina), just take your sticks with you and just hit each drum that you want to try, stop and listen then hit another drum, stop and listen. Nobody will know you can't play. They will just assume that you know what you are doing, and you'll find out what you need to know!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

yes ,those are the three i have narrowed it down to ..after allot of banging..but remember im a begiiner looking for my first set..i was just looking for something that includes the hardware ..decent price...

this is all very new and by the way,,very exciting,I cant wait for my first lesson.

Another question is when I purchase this set how easy will it be for me to set these up?