View Poll Results: Do you think there is a noticeable difference between wood types

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 91.30%
  • No

1 4.35%
  • Unsure

1 4.35%

Thread: Survey for Uni assessment

User Info Menu

Default Survey for Uni assessment

Hey guys,

So last week I posted a thread asking for your opinions on different woods that drums are made out of. I didn't get too many responses, so I'm gonna try going about it another way. For a start, I am going to ask a simple question: Do you think there is a noticeable difference between different wood types?

Here's the other thread I mentioned: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ent-29735.html
    Last edited by drumstix; 10-15-2013 at 02:23 AM.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Survey for Uni assessment

Not as much as people claim.

User Info Menu

There is a significant difference in sound that you get from each individual wood shells. Mostly it is preference to your ears that matches your genre of music to the rest of your kit. If that makes any sense lol.

User Info Menu

There is most definitely a difference in many sound components between my birch set and my maple set.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have had SEVERAL different types of wood and ply count, re rings, mixed plies, brands, ect.

Each has its own voice.

I've owned:
    DW Birch
    Mapex Birch
    Pearl MIJ Maple
    Poplar
    Fiberglass
    Philippine Mahogany
    Basswood
    "hardwood"
    Acousticon (saw dust and glue)
    Ludwig 3 ply w/re rings
    Slingerland w/re rings
    Camco w/re rings
    Keller Maple Snares

and a bunch of different ply counts and sizes/variations of these.

Heads, Edges, tuning have a huge impact. But Each wood vibrates differently. So every drum should be different (like snow flakes :P) However, going from drums made of the same type of wood from similar sources won't have a noticeable effect. But my Mapex M Birch vs my DW Heartwood Birch even sounded different. I know the quality is supposed to be vastly different but for this it should make sense. The Birch was taken from different sources and grew under different circumstances. The Mapex was probably grown "cheaper" so it would be a little softer/less dense. This allows it vibrate a little more freely like a loose rubber band. The DW Heartwood Birch is grown under more optimal conditions for birch which should allow it to become more dense. It's shell should vibrate consistently, like a rubber band pulled apart some.
    Last edited by Zeta; 10-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Yes. If you put two 10" toms side by side, one birch and the other maple, and have them tuned to the same tension with the same heads, played with the same stick at the same volume, then I'll likely be able to discern a difference lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

My point was with good tuning skills you can get any wood to sound good.

User Info Menu

I experimented with different types of wood shells. I combined two sets together; maple and birch. Both kits had different heads. I was able to tune the maple and birch toms so they complimented each other. If you were to close your eyes, in my opinion, you couldn't tell the two woods apart because I had tuned them together in the same room.

I continued my experiment by separating both maple and birch kits and tune them out of the room from each other. To my surprise, both kits sounded completely different.

In my most recent experiment, I set up two kits, both maple, both Gretsch kits, both had coated heads over clear resonance heads. I found the lesser costing kit sounding very close to the top of the line kit. If both had identical heads from one drum head maker, in my opinion, only a well trained ear can hear the difference. In conclusion, I think the selection of heads, bearing edge cut angle and tuning plays a huge role in how a drum can sound its best within its wood group.

User Info Menu

Play a set of Mapex Saturns next to a plain maple kit and it's obvious that a little walnut completely changes the sound.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

Wood 100% makes a difference, however it is not 100% of the equation. All things involved make up the sound, change any one item will alter the final product, being a bearing edge on 1 or both sides, number and size of vents, hoop choice, lug choice and mounting systems, as well as head choices top and bottom, finished inner shell, raw, highly polished clearcoat or bees waxed, the room you play in, the stick you use and the intensity and stroke all add together to give you the final THUD.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Pearl charges a lot of money for the Reference series, based on the theory that 100% Maple shells sound different that a Maple/Birch Mixed ply.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Wood 100% makes a difference, however it is not 100% of the equation. All things involved make up the sound, change any one item will alter the final product, being a bearing edge on 1 or both sides, number and size of vents, hoop choice, lug choice and mounting systems, as well as head choices top and bottom, finished inner shell, raw, highly polished clearcoat or bees waxed, the room you play in, the stick you use and the intensity and stroke all add together to give you the final THUD.
    I totally agree with this.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!