Thread: Beginner stick technique questions

User Info Menu

Default Beginner stick technique questions

Hello drummers, I'm a total beginner at drums I've only got a practice pad and sticks for now, I'm getting a kit in a few weeks. I have decided that I would work on my single strokes for now. So I have a couple questions that hopefully you guys/girls can answer.

1.How do you hit the practice pad/drum? I have heard people say that its all in the wrist then others say that its all in the fingers. I use both, I lift my wrist up slightly while opening my middle, ring and pinky fingers which causes the stick to rotate 90 degrees so that it points upwards. Then as I bring my wrist back down as I snap my three fingers in pulling the stick into my palm. So my finger are doing most of the work. Is this right?

2.What starting position should my sticks be in? I start with them both about an inch from the pad. I have heard that this is wrong and I need to start with them pointing up. Does this matter? because it feels comfortable starting the way I do. Are there any drummers that do it the way I do?

Sorry if these questions are a bit stupid or confusing I don't know much about drums, and thank you for any answers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Beginner stick technique questions

For single strokes you should really be focusing on wrists and a proper grip. Don't over grip. You want a relaxed grip.

An inch from the pad seems too close to me unless you are going for light strokes with speed.

A good work out is alternating hands. For example, doing 12 steady single strokes with your right hand and then 12 with the left without breaking time. and trying to switch off with the hand that starts.

Doubles are more of using wrists and fingers.

I think triplets are a good easy roll to learn too.

But I'm no drum teacher.

User Info Menu

If you haven't already done so. Check out YouTube. Everything your asking for is there from how to hold your sticks, to how to play all of the rudiments. Welcome to DC and have fun.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Don't grip with your fingers to tight unless you are trying to change stroke height from stroke to stroke.

Let the stick bounce some to relieve some work from you wrist.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

There are almost as many stick holding techniques as there are drummers on youtube. Find the most comfortable one technique to go with....or try them all.
    If you're really young and haven't spent years using your wrists on the job, say, holding a hammer, many techniques will work for you and some will just seem wrong...Sticks aren't pencils so doing what I call the "pencil-twiddle" between thumb and 2 fingers may get tiresome.
    Speed progression is usually using the arm, then wrist, then fingers if possible.
    Last edited by slinglander; 10-15-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: sp
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Everything is a controlled bounce off the heads.

TwoCables Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BaldBuscus View Post
    1.How do you hit the practice pad/drum? I have heard people say that its all in the wrist then others say that its all in the fingers. I use both, I lift my wrist up slightly while opening my middle, ring and pinky fingers which causes the stick to rotate 90 degrees so that it points upwards. Then as I bring my wrist back down as I snap my three fingers in pulling the stick into my palm. So my finger are doing most of the work. Is this right?
    It can be. It depends on what you're using it for. One of the most important things to know is, don't try to make one technique or method work for everything that you play. I'm talking about everything, including the different volumes, different speeds, and even different styles. Each technique is like a tool that gets the job done in the most efficient and most harmless way possible.

User Info Menu

If you're not going to get lessons, check out YouTube. If you know how to read, get the book Stick Control. Good luck.

User Info Menu

i am also a beginner drummer as well and i see alot of youtube vids that fingers are used for more speed. I am now trying to develop my finger techinique

User Info Menu

Speed is fingers and wrists.

Your arms are for moving from drum to drum.

User Info Menu

When I'm practicing good technique I use one hand to hold the other so it stays in place while I work on finger movement. Holding the wrist and arm in place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Speed is fingers and wrists.

Your arms are for moving from drum to drum.
    My guitarist who played drums for 5 years says you should make a circular motion with the hands while using wrists and fingers instead of the above...
    Last edited by jgziegler; 06-17-2015 at 07:35 AM.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    My guitarist who played drums for 5 years says you should make a circular motion with the hands while using wrists and fingers instead of the above...
    His advice gives a good clue as to why he plays guitar now!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

My fingers do most of the work. I use french grip, which means that my hands are tilted in, and my thumbs are on the top of the stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post

Can you explain this "circular" motion better?

User Info Menu

he says the hands go forward when you hit the drum, then you pull them back towards yourself on the rebound. then forward again to hit

User Info Menu

I hit just from the wrists and open my other fingers (except index and thumbs) automatically while hitting then if the stick bounces back to my hand I wrap my fingers loosely on the stick and repeat.
    I'm wondering about this pad-stick distance thing too.
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals