Thread: Dead Kennedys

User Info Menu

Default Dead Kennedys

DEAD KENNEDYS were one of the most popular and important American hardcore punk bands of the late '70s/early '80s. They formed in San Francisco in 1978 when EAST BAY RAY placed an ad in a music paper that vocalist JELLO BIAFRA responded to. They were soon joined by bassist KLAUS FLOURIDE, drummer TED and a second guitarist known to posterity simply as 6025. The latter departed in March 1979, while Ted was replaced at the very end of 1980 by D.H. PELIGRO.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dead Kennedys

Loved the Dead Kennedys! My first band (punk band) back in 78-79 did many DK tunes.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

I need to check them out some more. I think they covered a few of my friends old bands songs.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I love the Dead Kennedys. My buddy's band toured with them...or at least the current version of them a few years ago. He was also drum teching for DH Peligro on that tour, as DH was using my friends DW drums for the tour.

Well I went to see them in Philly and my buddy was tweaking the set up for DH. He discovered a little issue with the bass drum pedal and I fixed it. So I got to fix DH Peligro's drum pedal. That's pretty cool to me.

User Info Menu

My skater friends and I always had DK on rotation. The DK logo was also always a part of our sub culture. Spray painting it on ramps and what not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKC75 View Post
    My skater friends and I always had DK on rotation. The DK logo was also always a part of our sub culture. Spray painting it on ramps and what not.
    Same here.

User Info Menu

I like the old Dead Kennedys with Jello Biafra. I've never heard their new singer. Anyway i never got to see them perform with Biafra since I wasn't born then. I think its pretty neat that a kid in this day in age likes to listen to stuff like the Dead Kennedys, the clash, Metaliica, slayer, and Johnny cash. Is it wrong to like older music?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TonyFreeDrum View Post
    I like the old Dead Kennedys with Jello Biafra. I've never heard their new singer. Anyway i never got to see them perform with Biafra since I wasn't born then. I think its pretty neat that a kid in this day in age likes to listen to stuff like the Dead Kennedys, the clash, Metaliica, slayer, and Johnny cash. Is it wrong to like older music?
    No way. I wasn't old enough to see them back then either. My cousin, who was able to see them, the Misfits, Black Flag, Warzone, etc back then, got me into the old punk and hardcore.

Good music is good music, whether it was recorded yesterday or 30 years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Well I went to see them in Philly and my buddy was tweaking the set up for DH. He discovered a little issue with the bass drum pedal and I fixed it. So I got to fix DH Peligro's drum pedal. That's pretty cool to me.
    Legend! So what happened to his pedal?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Legend! So what happened to his pedal?
    It was a DW....5000 I think. The little clip that holds the string to the top of the pedal had become boogered up and wouldn't hold. I grabbed the soundguy's multi tool and pry'd and bent it back into shape and reattached it.