Default need help on my setup!!!

So I recenly got some gear and I need a setup

I have 5 cymbals
    Crash
    Ride
    Crash/ride
    Slapsh
    China

Someone recommended I should try the offset setup so I looked it up and I loved it the ride placement is awesome so I need some help on cymbal and drum placement and pro and cons so any help or tips is greatly appreciated thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: need help on my setup!!!

Put them were you can strike them properly easily.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC! I use a 5 cymbal set up with off set toms and I agree with you about the ride position. I find it ideal to have it set up over the kick drum. Here's how I got mine set up. I use a separate stand to off set the rack toms. I found a stand that can fit a 1 inch pipe and use a double tom mount to rack the toms in an off set position. For the splash, I use a cymbal grabber and mount it in directly on the rack tom stand:

#1 Crash
    #2 Ride
    #3 Crash/ride
    #4 Splash
    #5 China

5 cymbal set up:

Last edited by late8; 10-15-2013 at 06:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies and I also like my Toms to be almost as low as the snare drum and I also use a double pedal and my Toms are hard to place where I want them I got the ride in a good place and I would like to have my 13" half way over the bass drum with them being low but my tom depths make it difficult lol so does anyone know any alternations? Help is greatly appreciated thanks

User Info Menu

Oh and also id like them to be right in front of the snare

User Info Menu

And your cymbal setup is exactly the same as mine haha

User Info Menu

A 13" tom over your bass drum like late8's rendition is next to impossible unless the tom is an unusual depth like 10" or less. Or you raise your throne a lot higher. But then you run into the problem with your bass drum pedal being uncomfortable to use unless your really tall. If you want the offset set-up in order to get your ride in nice and close and over your bass drum, your going to have to angle your toms as in late8's set up. Have fun, welcome to DC, and good luck.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 10-15-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 13yrolddrummer View Post
    Thanks for the replies and I also like my Toms to be almost as low as the snare drum and I also use a double pedal and my Toms are hard to place where I want them I got the ride in a good place and I would like to have my 13" half way over the bass drum with them being low but my tom depths make it difficult lol so does anyone know any alternations? Help is greatly appreciated thanks
    Hello again! I know exactly what you're asking. I hate to say this this but it all about compromising. You'll find that you can get some things positioned perfectly but all of a sudden something else will have to be moved in order for the 13" tom to be in line. For me it's the hihat that gets compromised if I use a double pedal. It gets pushed further away from my snare and my right arm gets extended out too far to feel comfortable.

Here's a shot of my kit when I use a double pedal. It really doesn't look too different from my single pedal set up except the hihat is further to my right than I like. Since my hats are a priority over a double pedal, I ditched it to make room for my hihat stand.

Double pedal forces hihat stand to be further to the right:

Single pedal set up. Note how my hihat stand is closer to the snare. It's a very subtle difference but I do feel it

Last edited by late8; 10-15-2013 at 08:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's a novel idea. Try playing a 4 piece style. You can have your tom exactly where you want it, low and in front of the snare, and have the ride exactly where you want it to boot.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies...this is what I came up I have the Toms next to the bass drum on a seperate stand like late8 and found that me playing double bass pedals with my legs spread rather far apart I was able to get them where I wantedand hi hat still close to my snare so all is well and thanks for the ideas

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC 13yrolddrummer! What's your username gonna be next year? LOL!

I have to agree with Mr. Northern Redneck and Mr. Late8. Two of our finest and most knowledgeable guys on this forum. It's all about comfort when playing. Always start with your feet and the pedals and get them placed comfortably and start building the rest of your kit around that. You shouldn't have to be reaching and stretching to play your cymbals. When I move my kit around, I set up bass drum, BD pedal and HH. Then, I mount my rack toms and position them. Next, floor tom. Once I am OK with where they are, I start mounting cymbals.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 10-15-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I started when I was 13 lol im now almost 18 haha