Thread: tom muffling questions

User Info Menu

Default tom muffling questions

So ive basically tried everything to get my Toms the sound I like I need some help ive tried moongel and didnt like the sound I just need that over tone out so does anyone know ant homemade solutions? Help is appreciated and the reason I say homemade is because ive tried almost everything thing on the market so please help!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: tom muffling questions

How are you at tuning and how good are your shells and bearing edges? Reason I ask; I've found that I can get rid of 99% of the nasty overtones by really fine tuning the heads and playing with the tension relationship between the top and bottom heads. If your bearing edges are bad or shells are warped, it next to impossible to get rid of overtones completely.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

It might be helpful to you to check out the vast tuning section on Drumchat, since you're a bit vague about the sound you want. So many variables: the room you play in, the heads you have(batter and reso), and the choice of music you play....
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Well, it sounds like you want a low rock thud with minimum overtones. I've re-read through your posts and didn't see any mention from you about what kind of heads your using. If they are still the stock heads, that is 90% of your problem. If they are after market heads, then your tuning prowess is the most responsible for eliminating overtones. After that if you need even more it's either multiple moon gels, a muffling ring, or strategic tape placement. Remo Pinstripes are a popular choice for getting that low rock thud sound everyone strives for because they have a muffling ring already built in, and their a 2 ply head. Also what are you using for ear protection? A good pair of sound attenuation headphones does wonders for how your drums sound in the drivers seat.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Ok so I was out to find a solution and I went to my local drum shop I bought remo pinstripe heads for the Toms and remo o-rings and I am very happy with it thanks to wolvie56 for the suggestion

User Info Menu

Now any suggeations for the snare? Haha

User Info Menu

Coated Pinstripe

User Info Menu

I use that now not to fond of it.
    Any muffling techniques? Because if possible I would like to keep the head its only 3 Weeks old

User Info Menu

You can try some moongel for now but in the future when you are thinking of changing heads may I suggest Evans EC frosted with reverse dot would be one to try. I use it and love it.
    This is what the head looks like.

No matter where you hit on the head you get all kinds of different sounds and great for rim shots, ghosts notes etc. Great head
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 10-16-2013 at 06:54 AM.

User Info Menu

What is wrong with the coated pinstripe? You wanted a heavily dampened sound didnt you?

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with the the cps just not fond of pinstripes on the snare and im definitely going to try out the Evans reversed dot

User Info Menu

To me the best snare head will always be a coated ambo or g1.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 13yrolddrummer View Post
    Nothing wrong with the the cps just not fond of pinstripes on the snare and im definitely going to try out the Evans reversed dot
    Before you do, visit the Evans website and read up on that head. Good luck

User Info Menu

Ok thanks for he advice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    You can try some moongel for now but in the future when you are thinking of changing heads may I suggest Evans EC frosted with reverse dot would be one to try. I use it and love it.
    This is what the head looks like.

No matter where you hit on the head you get all kinds of different sounds and great for rim shots, ghosts notes etc. Great head
    This is a great snare head. So far is my favorite.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Just picked it up today and im loving it haha

User Info Menu

Good for you I knew you would love it cause I do. That head was not very popular when it first came out and I think I was one of the first members to buy one. Atfter boasting about this I remember some being bias about them and then all of a sudden it started to get popular more and more . You made a good choice now you should try the EC2's on your toms.

User Info Menu

Reverse Dot is a fantastic snare head. As far as muffling or dampening your toms, be careful with that. Remember that what you hear in the driver's seat is not always what is heard out in front of the kit. There seems to be a difference in tone and sustain, I have found, between live and in the studio. Tuned right, double ply heads left wide open don't always sound like they have much sustain in a live setting. Experiment with different heads and tuning. To me, nothing sounds worse than a dead drum.

User Info Menu

^^^^^ ditto that.

I have tuned to "perfection" at home but more tweaking required when I played at a larger venue, with mics, without mics, etc.

Double coated heads addressed a lot of any need and desire I had previously for external muffling (rings, gel...)
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)