Thread: twirling

User Info Menu

Default twirling

hey guys how s it goin!

ok so i was lookin on here for awhile and i couldnt find anything about it, but id really like to be able to twirl my stix, even if just a little bit, it'd be fun to methinks, and maybe showboat just a little

does anyone have any tips, or a certain drummer to watch (i know tommy lee) or youtube clip or well, anything!

also, any tori amos fans in here? her drummer matt chamberlain is friggin amazing, does anyone listen to him?

thanks guys!

User Info Menu

Hey lildrummer,
    There's a few videos here of guys spinning and Drum Bum sells a book/dvd package if you're interested.

http://drumbum.com/lessons/drum-less.../view/122/142/

User Info Menu

Hey dude

Actualy this has come up a few times as stick tricks, as there is lots of things besides twirling. Thomas Lang and JoJo Mayer are two of the best IMO, and on youtube and that there is a few instructional clips from Thomas Lang, and also a guy named Derrick Pope has a couple too.

Also, I'll say it before anyone else does, if stick tricks/twirls/throws/whatever are gonna get in the way of your playing - don't bother. It is more important to play, hold the rhythm, timing etc... than it is to look cool - and I think that is one of the reasons allot of drummers don't bother learning them.

Also, allot of those 80's hair metal drummers (like Tommy Lee) don't really twirl the stick, it just looks like they do. Basically it's a simple trick of just balancing the stick between your index and middle finger and then moving the two fingers backwards and forwards to each other (if that makes sense) Doing that quickly while turning your wrist like your waving (like the queen, hand turning side to side, not up and down) creates the effect of stick twirling, without actually twirling your stick. It's hard to describe, so I hope that made sense, but that is the way majority of those drummers do that stick twirl. Only a minority bother to learn to actually stick twirl and do stick tricks properly. Drumline drummers seem to learn the most in that sense, must be part of the show of marching bands or something.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

That "spinology" clip explain basically how to do that fake spin I was talking about. I knew i'd seen a video somwehere, but i couldn't remember where

User Info Menu

Yeah, I knew I had seen it at DrumBum, so I went looking for it. Here's the link: http://www.drumsdatabase.com/spinology1.MPG
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Twirling looks fun! I twirl my sticks when I'm not playing
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I like stick tricks and twirls myself. If done with taste they can really be cool plus it strengthens your fingers. Don't believe me?........try goin straight for 10-15 minutes or so. Blessings.........

User Info Menu

yea i figured it would help my strength alot too, im not really i guess wanting to distract from my playing, i just thot itd be kewl to do while im practicing paradiddles on my pillow :0

thanks so much for the help guys, you rock!

User Info Menu

If I just don't drop a stick or get 'em tangled up in the hi-hat I figure that's my trick, lol.

My humble opinion on twirling is just don't do it too much, save it for certain places in the song, like say, to draw attention to a cool part coming up, or during a cool part.

Edit: ...unless you want be the Twirlmeister of the 21st century then hey, go for it.
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not just as good now as it was then.

User Info Menu

A lot of the twirlmeisters never get good on the drums. If you can do both, that's better. But who's got that kind of time. I don't.

More on Drumstick Twirling here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    A lot of the twirlmeisters never get good on the drums. If you can do both, that's better. But who's got that kind of time. I don't.
    How much time do those guys have who learn to juggle while playing then I wonder? Do you reckon they have girlfriends?

User Info Menu

Do you reckon they have girlfriends?
    No, but they probably have a cat. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

User Info Menu

well i have a cat and a bf and i still find time to practice nothin wrong with that ! lol

User Info Menu

Nah, sorry :-) ... a long time ago at work somebody asked if one of the guys that worked there was married and somebody said, "No but he has a cat." At the time it was funny. Just one of those stupid things that stays in my memory lol.
    Well, we have 3 cats and I try to twirl drumsticks once in a while. But I'm doing good not to get tangled up in the hi-hat.
    :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    No, but they probably have a cat. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    A cat is fine too!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    A cat is fine too!
    LOL Tsukihime reference?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

i totally respect lang and some of the guys that are great at stick tricks and can shred while doing it. however i still always get this image of cheesy 80s hair bands doing more spinning than playing.