Thread: floor tom to bass drum?

User Info Menu

Default floor tom to bass drum?

Thinki.g of doing this for tom height reasons I have a spare 16x16 ft is it worth doing?

User Info Menu

Default Re: floor tom to bass drum?

Thinking* sorry for typo

User Info Menu

Are you saying that your floor toms are to low for you? I had this problem as well. First I made small risers out of wood. Then I found longer legs on E-Bay. Now their up nice and high. Not really sure what your question is actually.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Sounds to me like he wants to use the floor tom as a bass drum or vise versa. Not sure. Or he wants to mount his floor tom to the bass drum. Please explain better 13yod.

User Info Menu

I would like to convert a spare ft to a bass drum because racktoms are too high for my taste and I like the of playing over my kit with offset Toms I hope that works

User Info Menu

You can buy a cradle from Gibraltar that will do exactly what you want without any mods to your tom.

My question is, how short are you? Im 5'10" and I play standard toms over a 22" kick no problems.

User Info Menu

Im 5'3 haha

User Info Menu

Its really simple to convert the floor tom to a bass. I have a 16" floor tom I use for my kick drum depending on the show. Pearl sells a pretty simple kit that raises the ft and it comes with some special legs. It works...For my heads I have some evans...on the pedal side I put a clear head and on the outside I put a coated. Doesn't sound too bad..I also like low, flat toms...I usually just play with one tom that I put in a snare drum stand so its low and flat. Hope this helps...

User Info Menu

Gibraltar also makes a rack Tom mount that attaches to a floor Tom (that's being used as a bass) and allows you to mount your rack tom on the floor Tom. It's just a bracket that slips into one of the leg mounts on the FT and the other end rests against the shell. It has an L-rod to attach the rack Tom to it. I believe it's called a "Dunnett" style Tom mount. Very cool......They show it on their website.

IMO, that would make an excellent setup for tight spaces in small clubs and be easy to transport. You could use the 16"FT as the bass, an 8" or 10" shallow Tom mounted off of it like a rack Tom and then use a 13" Tom hanging off a cymbal stand as your floor Tom.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 11-12-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

OR Ludwig Breakbeats

Last edited by Olimpass; 11-12-2013 at 09:28 PM.

User Info Menu

check the Gibraltar mount first, I believe it's for 18" or 20" only. I'm converting my 16" floor tom to use for tight, low volume gigs as wel. The Pearl JG16 Jungle Gig Adapter and Pearl IS1216SL/C for 12 to 16-inch 2.3mm SuperHoop, with BT-3 should work for you. DW also make a really nice cradle, but at a really hefty price.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

im not saying not to convert your floor tom, but i am also 5'3" and have no problems hitting my toms. you may have to tilt them forward a bit, but it should be fine, also if you are playing the toms offset, the bass drum shouldnt even be an issue as they wont be over it. i say try some other configurations before you spend money on mounts ect.