Thread: Batala!

User Info Menu

Default Batala!

I got to go to the Greenbelt Rhythm and Drum Festival (in Greenbelt, Maryland, USA) on Saturday and it was awesome. One of the performing groups was Batala Washington. There are Batala groups all around the world, playing music based in northern Brazil. Three of the groups are all women, including the Washington group. I wanted to post this so you could enjoy. There are several videos on Youtube. I think this one has the best angle, but you may want to skip the first minute of the video, where the guy is just walking around, to get to the performance. Also, I had a great seat, near the front line, but that means I am in a bunch of the videos sitting there bobbing my head. In this one, I'm at the opposite end, trying to get my camera to take useful video (it didn't).

Enjoy!
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    12" Toca Synergy Vuur Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    8" X 14" Mid-East metal Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum
    ...and more to come, I hope...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Batala!

Very cool! Looks like a good time. I love festivals like that. We have the Scottish games here every other year (I think) and I am really hoping to catch the Fife and Drum Corps this time around.

Don't you hate it when you phone/camera lets you down?
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

I don't remember ever going to a drum festival. It looks like fun.

User Info Menu

This was the first one I'd ever gone to. It's a new festival and I gave them a few bucks on Kickstarter. There were some performers and some classes and a few drum circles. There were a few vendors as well. I did pick up a little drum and I'll post the pic when I get the chance.
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    12" Toca Synergy Vuur Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    8" X 14" Mid-East metal Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum
    ...and more to come, I hope...