Thread: Saving Abel - Crackin' The Safe

User Info Menu

Default Saving Abel - Crackin' The Safe

I was so excited to hear that Saving Abel had released a new album, and it was as good as I had hoped.

Crackin' The Safe is actually a self-produced and released EP. There are 5 new songs, and an acoustical version of the first release Mystify.

Mystify is pure Saving Abel. One of those songs that you know in an instant who it belongs to. It is followed by Secrets, which has a little more edge to it.
    The next track on the EP is Summer in the Sun, and the boys are certainly showing their southern rock roots. Very clear drum beat in this one, but the lead guitar steals the show.
    Down in Flames is also classic SA, kind of reminiscent of Addicted. It has that Jared Weeks yummy growl. (girl drummer here!) Take Me Home and an acoustic version of Mystify round out the EP. Take Me Home has the vocals going between the produced echo and pure Jared, similar to what they did on New Tattoo from the first album. Love this stuff.

The only thing missing from this album is a ballad...while Down in Flames has a slower beat, I wouldn't call it a ballad by any means. Mysitfy has to be my favorite track, but I rarely like acoustical versions of songs very much. The acoustical version of Mystify is good, but I prefer the "fuller" version.
    But once again, it is a drummer-friendly album. Saving Abel is one of those bands that I can hear the drum beat without too much trouble. In fact, Addicted was the first song I attempted to cover. (I had the main beat pretty good, but I am still at that point that I can't translate what I hear in fills to my kit, and my teacher wouldn't show me.)

This was a great release, from one of my favorite bands. I'm hoping that a full-length album will follow soon! In the meantime, I'm really looking forward to seeing these guys in November.

Last edited by BlueSky; 10-23-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976