Thread: Progress

User Info Menu

Default Progress

Mid life crisis type thing too early on.
    Anyway, I'm looking for opinions on how much progress someone should have made after a year of drumming. Mainly self taught stuff.
    I know it varies between people but what do you think? Say it's someone who practices often and is mainly self taught (ho-hum >_>)
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

ETF, I'm thinking you should already be a pro, or you should hang up the sticks! LOL

Seriously, though, it sounds like you're going through a slump. That's why we're here, bro. There is no timeline for progress on anything in life, so just relax on the time thing. My guess is that you've progressed far enough to realize how much you still have to learn (I, on the other hand, am blessed with ignorance, for the moment). I am sure that the others will bear me out on this.

Hang in there, and know that your current frustration points more to your progress than it does to your limitations! Just remember that most of life is actually like that!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Jeez, Music isnat a race. Relax.

User Info Menu

Cool Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Anyway, I'm looking for opinions on how much progress someone should have made after a year of drumming. Mainly self taught stuff.
    I know it varies between people but what do you think? Say it's someone who practices often and is mainly self taught (ho-hum >_>)
    Hey, ETF--that's like asking a dozen parents of one-year-olds what their children are doing--and then tryin' to compare your one-year-old to that group! And it's a big freakin' mistake to do that.

Each of us learns in his or her own way. If you've self-taught yourself, man, you have learned the rudiments differently than you would if you'd taken lessons from a teacher. And one teacher differs from another...and even then, some of us learn quickly--others don't.

After the first year, I would say you should have some understanding of the rudiments...and should be able to play some fairly simple stuff at the very least. But again, it varies! It's not like there's a chart that says "if you aren't doing this, this and this in a year, forget about it!"

I'm with vinny on this one...relax and enjoy the learning process...and with pastor_bob...the more you learn, the more you'll find you have to learn!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Yeah, everything these guys said is so true. For me personally, somethings I was learning within the first year (but by all means not mastered and no where near it) 'putting' in on the kit and pads every spare moment and learnt basic rock beats as solid as I could get them. 16th note variations on the bass drum, snare and hi-hat/ride(not solid but touching bass with it). Practicing singles, doubles, paradiddles whenever I can. Touching bass with hi-hat splashes. These were some things I was learning (not learnt because learnt is playing them solid in my book)by the end of the first year.

Just remember as long as you are practicing and playing and having fun, you are getting better every single day by the minute. I remember feeling that I was worse the next day than the day before but I have realised thats all part of development.
    Last edited by livewire80; 10-16-2007 at 05:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    To answer your question, you should be able to lay a decent amount of beats down. Your drum vocabulary will come in time. I remember when I had been playing for a year. I was already playing in church but didn't want to use sticks. I used brushes for awhile so nobody could hear me! Finally with enough "I can't hear yous" I started using sticks. Time playing means less than practice spent. Remember the drummer from Creed had only been playing 3 years when they got signed....now that's perspective!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    Remember the drummer from Creed had only been playing 3 years when they got signed....now that's perspective!
    Wow, I didn't know that....... Inspiring!

User Info Menu

Wow! DC, I think we need to revise our 5 year plan!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

no you dont nobody said creeds drummer was perfict, u2 drummer had only been playing a year when they got signed and could only hold a roll, the five year plan is to perfection, the however long it takes plan is to signing.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

No not perfect but could play in a band that is as famous as any other out there at the moment. Thats the thing, you dont have to be the most technical amazing drummer to play in a band. Look at wolfmother, there drummer been playing for just over 2 years before they made it big

User Info Menu

very very inspiring

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Wow! DC, I think we need to revise our 5 year plan!!!
    You can PB, I'm sticking with the five! LMBO!

User Info Menu

Hey, in my case I was thinking of revising it to the 10 year plan!!! Too many young hot shots out there!!!

Actually, I just posted an old Beach Boys performance on the Classic Rock thread, and it really impressed me that you don't have to be perfect to begin. The Beach Boys have sure come a long way since their beginnings.