Thread: Please help!

User Info Menu

Default Please help!

I just got music for my inter-county jazz band audition... I'm not quite sure how to play the bass drum notes. It's a simple eighth note pattern, but since the tempo is between 128 and 136 and in cut time would a double bass be required?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Please help!

Double bass for a country jazz band ? Never seen that before

User Info Menu

Just to clarify, the chart calls for 8 bass notes per bar (8th notes) at 126 bpm and you need to play cut time?
    If so, cut time suggests you play the snare twice as often as normal time. therefore I think you play the bass drum on every beat and play the bass drum with snare on the 'and'.
    boom-tah-boom-tah-boom-tah-boom-tah where the boom is at 126 bpm. Therefore you should not need to use double bass.
    Last edited by philsmith; 10-24-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Tama StarClassic Bubinga
    Brady Sheoak 6.5" Snare
    Zildjian K 11, 14, 15,16,17
    Sabian Flat Hats, 22' Ride
    Trash Can Lid

Cheese-N-Ugg-Uh-Lee-Chik

http://shootthemoonband.com

User Info Menu

When I think of Jazz, I think of keeping a straight quarter note beat going on the kick and a ride and throwing a snare beat in on the off-beat. Like a shuffle but with the first beat on snare and second beat on the bass and ride......not to confuse the situation.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrumgrl View Post
    I just got music for my inter-county jazz band audition... I'm not quite sure how to play the bass drum notes. It's a simple eighth note pattern, but since the tempo is between 128 and 136 and in cut time would a double bass be required?
    Okay so you've got cut time (2/2) which means that there are 4 eighth notes for every beat. 4 x 128 = really a damn lot of beats per minutes and unless you're amazing you'll need 2 pedals, and even then you'll have to be really good.

This doesn't sound right. Can you scan the music?
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post
    Can you scan the music?
    +1. Let us see it! I'm sure someone on the board here can help you out.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove