Thread: Leading the beat

User Info Menu

Default Leading the beat

I was playing around with my DTX700k's training functions today and it looks like I am consistantly leading the beat. the problem is it sounds and feels right to me so now I am trying to figure out how to get my beat on track any suggestions. I mean in addition to the whole practice makes less suck.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Default Re: Leading the beat

I play slow (sometimes with a metronome) and count it out. Work deliberately at first and gradually increase metronome tempo.

User Info Menu

Tin, some feel time more on top of the beat and others more behind the beat and yet others right on the beat. It could just be that particular day (lots of caffeine maybe?) but if you find yourself always ahead, you just need to work more with the metronome. Put it at a slow BPM and concentrate on playing time along with it. Tape yourself and monitor until it's adjusted. Then gradually speed it up until it's perfected.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Tin, some feel time more on top of the beat and others more behind the beat and yet others right on the beat. It could just be that particular day (lots of caffeine maybe?) but if you find yourself always ahead, you just need to work more with the metronome. Put it at a slow BPM and concentrate on playing time along with it. Tape yourself and monitor until it's adjusted. Then gradually speed it up until it's perfected.
    ^^this! ....and "tape yourself?" Me-thinks Drummer's showing his age!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    ....and "tape yourself?" Me-thinks Drummer's showing his age!
    oops, you're right!

User Info Menu

Definitely record yourself so that when you're listening back you can hear the click you were playing to as you recorded. That can teach you a lot. Also, do some exercises where you try on purpose to move way back on the beat. I've found that if you challenge yourself to be able to play specifically behind, in the middle, and on top of the beat at will then you can choose exactly where you want to play a specific song.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

This topic to me is the basis of conflicts in band rooms with the T word. Tempo. Tempo and being ahead on or behind the beat are two different things. I've never handled the "you started slowing down" statements very well because were talking about micro seconds! If someone wants it perfect then get a freakin machine!

If someone can play their guitar with their fingers going all over the place, sing on top of that and have the ability to determine micro seconds then damn man you really are a rock n roll God. Otherwise unless I'm playing like I'm on quaaludes just go with it!

Last edited by slinky; 11-20-2013 at 05:45 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Its a lot harder to play slow than fast. So as drummer says record (tape) yourself. But learning to play slow first will help you in the end. Just my Humble Op

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    This topic to me is the basis of conflicts in band rooms with the T word. Tempo. Tempo and being ahead on or behind the beat are two different things. I've never handled the "you started slowing down" statements very well because were talking about micro seconds! If someone wants it perfect then get a freakin machine!

If someone can play their guitar with their fingers going all over the place, sing on top of that and have the ability to determine micro seconds then damn man you really are a rock n roll God. Otherwise unless I'm playing like I'm on quaaludes shut your face hole and just go with it!

Spot on!

I've had certain band members tell me I'm playing far too fast when we play live - live songs are always going to be faster as the adrenaline is pumping.

User Info Menu

I agree 100% with Slinky and Hellwyck.

User Info Menu

It's the bass player's fault. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Toad View Post
    I was playing around with my DTX700k's training functions today and it looks like I am consistantly leading the beat. the problem is it sounds and feels right to me so now I am trying to figure out how to get my beat on track any suggestions. I mean in addition to the whole practice makes less suck.
    Tin, very good advice given in the above posts. Here's my take. The DTX700k is a machine. Machines can't ebb and flow with emotions. It's basically a flat line, unemotional metronome. When you start jamming with humans, it's the emotions from the heart that drive the 'feel' of a song.

I tend to play on the leading edge of the tempo on fast songs and with blues or other melodic tunes, I'll play spot on or I'll back off a bit and let the other members (guitarist, or keyboard player) take the 'lead'. This allows me to play off of the dynamics of others rather than try to create or force the 'feel' of the song upon the other members of the band.

At practice, the band records everything on a DAW (digital audio workstation). At the halfway point during practice, we will take a break and sit down and listen to what's been recorded. Collectively, we'll pick apart the effort put forth on the DAW and make a group decision on tempo, dynamics and vocal arrangements. Nobody gets their 'panties in a bunch' and we know what's been said is not a personal attack on ones ability to perform.

We do this to serve the music and not to feed our egos.