Thread: New snare drum advice

User Info Menu

Smile New snare drum advice

Hey I'm getting a new snare in a few months, I'm looking to spend around £300 so about $485. It will be my first pro/high ish end snare drum. I play in a range of bands such as funk, soul, rock and r&b. I want a great all rounder, I live the crack of steel and titanium snares but not so keen on their deadness and overtones. I love the warmth from a wooden snare and would live to get a nice crack from it. Not really quite sure what species of wood to go for tho, I really like a maple and walnut mix but not to sure if the darkness of the walnut might make it less versatile. I'm open to ply, stave, 1 ply ect... Any advice would be amazing. It's defo got to be 14 in diameter and between 5 and 7 in depth. I play in a load of different venue sizes from small clubs to Large concert venues to churches so ideally my new baby will need to be able to be very sensitive to light ghost notes and not choke out when played hard. Thanks in advance people
    To become a great drummer first you must be humble enough to learn

My set up

Mapex Meridian Birch - Transparent Walnut

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

Chad Smith signature Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: New snare drum advice

Birch shells have the warmth of wood, but cut through just a little more (really little, you will most likely not hear a difference between the two) than maple.
    But, I see you got yourself a Chad Smith Signature snare. That's a great snare tbh.
    If you like it, you could go and take a look at other Pearl snares and get a similar snare with more quality.
    copy and Paiste

User Info Menu

The Chad Smith is a great all around snare.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Mapex Black Panther...
    Try to get an early steel one, they have a great crack and can be used for anything.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, really don't like the chad smith snare, I'm selling it soon on eBay once I get a new one
    To become a great drummer first you must be humble enough to learn

My set up

Mapex Meridian Birch - Transparent Walnut

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

Chad Smith signature Snare

User Info Menu

What dont you like about it?

User Info Menu

The truth be told even as a great sounding all around snare this is not one of Chad's favorite.
    He uses
    14x5 Pearl Ultracast Snare
    14x6 Pearl Sensitone Elite
    14x6 acrylic Free Floating snare (auxiliary snare)

Believe it or not.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 10-26-2013 at 04:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    +1 on this, I have one and it is awesome and extremely versatile! Ludwig Black Magic 6.5 x 14 is another one that comes to mind, Crush 6.5 x 14 aluminum, Pork Pie Black brass, PDP Ace, The Tama SLP power maple 6.5 x 14 is awesome, Then there is the Mapex Black Panthers, But what we have here in the US is different from what you can get there. Maybe narrow it down to a few choices of what you have locally.
    Last edited by zarrdoss; 10-26-2013 at 10:12 PM.

User Info Menu

FWIW, expensive snares, and cheap snares, often times are found with the same 15 dollar head. Don't rule out models that are less than your budget. Best advice would be just to head down to the ole music store, and start whackin stuff
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Dw collectors series aluminum is fantastic

User Info Menu

check out the DW collectors Black Nickel over Brass. For a pro-line snare from DW its on the cheaper side, around $430 or so. Great snare, comes in 5.5 and 6.5 x 14 i think.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

For £300 you could get pretty much any snare in the Black Panther range if you look around. Just decide which one suits the sounds you want & give it a test drive.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater