Thread: good dvds or books or pieces of music.

User Info Menu

Question good dvds or books or pieces of music.

hey all, so some of you might have seen me around this site over the past 6 months or so and if you have you will know im a beginner and looking for ways to improve.

so I am wondering are there any good dvds or books that would help me improve and get better, I have my grade 1 book which I play with at the minute and some sheets I have been given but that's it so far.

also are there any pieces of music I could find on the internet that I could read and play along to?

would appreciate all answers. thanks.

Also what tips and hints would you give me that I could use when i'm practicing, how often did you see a drum teacher, was it weekly, fortnightly, monthly?

mine is currently fortnightly as that is all he can do at the minute, is this standard for drum lessons?
    Last edited by kryptondude; 10-28-2013 at 08:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: good dvds or books or pieces of music.

Any lessons you receive will help. Going every other week is certainly going to help. how often you go depends on how hard and determined you are to learn the instrument (I know budgets are a factor as well as time).

As for books there are a couple that I like and have used.

1. The Drumset Musician by Rod Morgenstein and Rick Mattingly.
    2. Buddy Rich's Modern Interpretation Of Snare Drum Rudiments written in collaboration with Henry Adler and revised by Ted Mackenzie (my old drum teacher).
    3. Fundamental Studies Of Snare Drum by Garwood Whaley.

As far as DVD's I haven't looked into or used any for lesson purposes. I'm sure there are many good ones available though.

And the bottom line is practice, practice, practice. No matter what you read, hear, see, and learn always practice!!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

So, to answer your last question first, practice every day. For as long as you can. At least an hour a day, but if possible even longer.

As far as books and DVDs, here are my favorites:

DVDs:
    Secret Weapons of the Modern Drummer - Jojo Mayer
    The Groove is Here - Steve Jordan

Books:
    Stick Control
    Linear Timekeeping - Gary Chaffee
    The New Breed of Studio Drummer - Gary Chester
    Future Sounds - David Garibaldi
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

It might help to go see bands, watch local drummers.

Going to jam sessions might be fun. They might have a drum kit already set up, you don't have to move gear.

User Info Menu

Here's some advice: Listen to and learn to love as many styles as you can! Rock, metal, jazz, funk, blues, R&B, hip hop, latin, world, reggae, country, electronic, etc. The more styles of music you can listen to and play, the more versatile you'll be and you can come up with much more interesting rhythms, like using jazzy rhythms in metal or metal rhythms in electronic, etc. Keep a very open mind.

Also, the more styles you can play, the more work you'll get as a drummer
    - Zack

User Info Menu

There's always the internet. Find someone playing something that you feel would help you out and copy it to your hard drive. Or there are a ton of video instructional drumming web sites out there.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash