User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha moving to China

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    They took our jobs .... Guess what Yamaha is not American never will be
    I believe Yamaha started in Japan.

User Info Menu

I'd like to reiterate what itchie said.

Yamaha never has and never will be an American company. So any statements made in regards to paying Americans are invalid.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Btw $5 in china can get you a whole bunch of stuff you couldn't get in America for an example a bottle of water costs about 25 cents .. So don't for an instant think that's a rip off its like 6 to the power of one . Plus the government subsidies wages in manufacturing , it's not their fault
    Last edited by itchie; 11-02-2013 at 04:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Which there's nothing wrong with those, Slingy....I helped one of my students score one last year....falkata and some other wood from what I vauguely remember. Looked and sounded great. Have you got any pics of this kit of yours?
    The tour custom kits from a few years ago were made of maple...the kit you're thinking about is the last gen. stage custom kit....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    They took our jobs .... Guess what Yamaha is not American never will be
    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I believe Yamaha started in Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I'd like to reiterate what itchie said.

Yamaha never has and never will be an American company. So any statements made in regards to paying Americans are invalid.
    I think the previous replies were in regards to many American companies shipping their production to China...................it's happened in many countries and a ton of Americans and people from all over the world are frustrated by it...............We know Yamaha is a Japanese company, but the overall frustration is the same.

User Info Menu

Shall we talk about all the Canadian people being put out of work by the US first programs paying companies millions of dollars to move to the US?
    Its a global economy now, get used to it, learn how to work with it or get left behind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Shall we talk about all the Canadian people being put out of work by the US first programs paying companies millions of dollars to move to the US?
    Its a global economy now, get used to it, learn how to work with it or get left behind.
    Actually, I've never heard of that NR.............but I'm positive we aren't innocent either...................I understand the global economy piece, but a lot of people are still frustrated by it.

Myself, I buy American whenever I can, like I'm sure people of Canada prefer to buy Canadian, Australians buy Australian and on it goes. I don't think pride in your nation is a bad thing. But, like all of us, I own several things produced in other countries

User Info Menu

Google Caterpillar London, Ont.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Google Caterpillar London, Ont.
    Just did and that sucks............I've never been a part of a union, and have mixed feelings about unionization............that being said, the company should have been honest to the employees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Myself, I buy American whenever I can, like I'm sure people of Canada prefer to buy Canadian, Australians buy Australian and on it goes. I don't think pride in your nation is a bad thing. But, like all of us, I own several things produced in other countries
    I buy wherever I can get a quality item for the cheapest price
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I buy wherever I can get a quality item for the cheapest price
    Finally somebody gets it

User Info Menu

U.S. Steel Corp partialy closing doors in Hamilton, Ontario affecting 500 jobs. Not sure if they are moving to U.S.A. Still a hit to job market in Canada.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 11-03-2013 at 10:16 AM.

User Info Menu

They bought Stelco for the contracts and the mining rights, the idea was to buy it and shut down the competition.

User Info Menu

From Yamaha spokesperson

I’ll step in here and enter the discussion.

We are at the beginning of an exciting time at Yamaha Drums, and there are a lot of fantastic things coming. Many of you have seen our Live Custom Series, which was launched at Winter NAMM and received rave reviews by dealers, artists, and press. It is the first drumset out of our Yamaha-owned factory in Xiaoshan, China. And this is just the start.

It’s important to remember that all of the techniques and processes that have made Yamaha one of the most respected names in drums were, in fact, created by Yamaha. The transition to our new state-of-the-art factory has allowed us to update and improve these processes and tools utilized by the craftsmen to build our drums. Also important to note is that the Xiaoshan factory was built from the ground up as a Yamaha factory and is ISO 14001 certified. Yamaha has been building pianos and wind/brass instruments in that facility for years; as a result, each craftsman is very familiar with our high standards and expectations, being trained not only in how but why we do things the way we do.

Ultimately, Yamaha drums will be better, while becoming more affordable: not by downgrading the quality of the materials, but by making the processes more efficient and still crafting some of the world’s best-sounding drums.

Yes, I'm the Product Manager for Yamaha Drums so I definitely have a connection. There were a few reasons for the move, one being staying compettitive with other companies that already made that move. The imbalance between the dollar and the Yen ads hundreds of dollars to the street price of an Absolute kit and in this economic environment it's become extremely difficult to compete. On the other side, Sakae was wanting to strike out on theor own, after making Yamaha drums for the last 45+ years. As a parting gift, they were given all of the machinery and shell molds that Yamaha installed in their factory so the split is ammicable. We aren't changing the things that have made Yamaha great, we are improving them with updated tools and machinery Our drums will continue to be hand crafted with great attention to detail, quality and most importsnt great sound.

We won't be offering the exact same models from the new factory. We are already in development of the next generation of high end Yamaha drums, with higher specifications, experimenting with different woods, but at a more affordable price than what we could offer by making drums in Japan. We have ordered extra inventory to fill the needs of our dealers and loyal fans to make the transition smooth as possible.
    Last edited by cc1918; 12-13-2013 at 10:08 AM.

User Info Menu

most of yamahas stuff was made in china already. i don't see what the argument is. now the recording customs/maple customs and phx will be made in china? doesnt matter, im not getting one anyway

also, consider Tama's B/B is made in China, and that is one fine drumset.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Think I'll just stay with Gretsch USA

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Think I'll just stay with Gretsch USA

all the best...
    FYI Gretsch has some of there drum lines made in china!!!

User Info Menu

Most drummers have intermediate kits and guess what guys most are made in factory in china. Funny but most inter kits today are of the same Quality as kHigh end kits say 15 years ago. IMHO. If you look into it its surprising how many are made in the same plant under different names . Mapex, Ludwig and a few more. we forget that some of the Chinese care more about what they make because of respect than the all mighty dollar. Ok flame away as it seems that's what is happening here more and more. IMHO

User Info Menu

TOO many companies giving up and going to China...sad sad sad.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    most of yamahas stuff was made in china already. i don't see what the argument is. now the recording customs/maple customs and phx will be made in china? doesnt matter, im not getting one anyway

also, consider Tama's B/B is made in China, and that is one fine drumset.
    Just an FYI... The PHX kits will continue to be made in japan...they were not Sakae factory made kit...

User Info Menu

I thought the PHX were made at Sakae. Do you know where there are made? I honestly didn't know about Sakae, till like the last yr. and I've got 2 Japan kits. I did think that the M.D. interview "INSIDE YAMAHA" many yrs. ago was kind of strange. Now that I know about Sakae, I understand why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I thought the PHX were made at Sakae. Do you know where there are made? I honestly didn't know about Sakae, till like the last yr. and I've got 2 Japan kits. I did think that the M.D. interview "INSIDE YAMAHA" many yrs. ago was kind of strange. Now that I know about Sakae, I understand why.
    PHX drums are made by three Yamaha employees in Japan...not sure of exact city/factory....

User Info Menu

There are just way too many drum makers in the game for such a specialized market. (I think there's more than car companies)

If Gretsch, Rogers, Slingerland and Ludwig would have had the business savvy when it was needed, they could have owned the whole market and provided all the pro gear needed.

all the best...