Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WD-40 is magic on tension rods

TwoCables Guest

Default WD-40 is magic on tension rods

I was just about to purchase a bunch of new tension rods and inserts (aka "lug nuts" or "swivel nuts") because I didn't know what the problem was. All I knew was that some tension rods felt like they were grinding and were destroying the threading. They were difficult to turn and it made feeling the tension of the head absolutely impossible. They were even making a grinding/squeaking sound. It was like fingernails on a chalkboard, but I was cringing more at the thought of what kind of damage I was doing to the threading with each little move of my drum key.

About a couple of hours ago I discovered that it was just the tension rods. What I did was, I wanted to see if the problem was the inserts or the rods. So, I swapped two tension rods: one that was in a lug that I thought had a bad insert and another that I thought was in a good one. To my surprise, this revealed that the tension rods were the problem. So then I thought that I needed some new tension rods.

For some reason a few minutes ago, I took a closer look at the good and bad rods to see what the differences are. The bad one's threading looked perfect, except it had some kind of white-ish hard stuff inside the grooves. So, I looked for something that could clean this out, and I found my can of WD-40. "Of course!", I thought.

Well, I sprayed the bad tension rods, gently wiped off the excess with a paper towel (I didn't want to leave behind any lint), and now they're as smooth as can be.

I was getting ready to spend $61.55 on a combination of tension rods and swivel nuts. Or, a grand total of $90.48 if I bought the swivel nuts directly from Yamaha instead ($48.88 for all 52 swivel nuts).

All I have to do now is clean all of my tension rods! Whew knew? lol Of course, I still want new toys. I was looking at getting brass-plated hoops with brass-plated tension rods with a combination of metal and nylon sleeve washers (yep, I'm talking about those nylon washers that have a short sleeve for eliminating all metal-to-metal contact). I even still want new inserts just for the peace of mind that I definitely have good threading. I don't know though. I'll clean all of my tension rods and then go from there. Maybe I'll just get the brass-plated hoops and be done with it. I do believe that I need hoops, but that's a topic for another thread.

Anyway, I'm off to go clean all of my tension rods. I had no idea that I'd be doing this. lol I thought for sure that I'd be just tossing them in the garbage along with my inserts! While I'm at it, I might even clean my inserts. I don't know yet. Based on what I just experienced, I doubt that I'll need to.

User Info Menu

Default Re: WD-40 is magic on tension rods

A little grease goes a long way...

User Info Menu

Make sure you put a little vaseline on the rods.

User Info Menu

Gun grease just a dab on the tip works wonders, WD 40 will evaporate in time.

User Info Menu

On my newly constructed builds, I put a tiny dab of spark plug boot die electric grease into the top of each thread. The insertion off the tension rod in turn carries the grease into the threads. I use this for none other reason that it is not a liquid which can run and make a mess, and the fact I have a couple tubes on hand in my tool box. My intent is it will continue to hold onto the threads and the rods will not seize up over time.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Make sure you put a little vaseline on the rods.
    I have been doing this for a long time and it works great.

User Info Menu

yeah I did something similar on my Peace kit but still not cutting it.. I think I need new lugs and t-rods but not sure I want to spend the money on that kit.. Maybe I will try just lugs 1st..The hoops are the thin crappy 1.6mm hoops too.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

It would not be a bad idea to take the nuts out of the lugs and soak them and the tension rods in a good cleaner. Be sure to clean all parts good. I like using a toothbrush and some 0000 steel wool. Then reassemble and put a dab of a light machine oil on the ends of the tension rods before tuning. Hope this is helpful.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I personally wouldn't use WD-40 on tension rods.

User Info Menu

I'll agree that WD-40 works great for cleaning rods. Personally, I'm a fan of putting a little grease on the tension rods when changing heads. A little bit goes a long way.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Sounds like someone used lithium grease and it hardened over time. WD-40 is a great cleaner and is a short term lubricant because most of it evaporates. Not good for long term lubricating. Petroleum jelly is the way to go. Never dries up and isn't invasive or runny like oil and grease is. Just dab the tip of the rod in the jar and it lasts forever. I do it every time I change out my heads.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I found this products works great.

A dry silicone-based lubricant that, unlike any other lubricant, contains no oil, grease, wax, petroleum distillates or detergent, so it doesn't stain or stink ...

User Info Menu

WD40 is a cleaner
    Does petroleum jelly melt/thin under stage lights?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riddim View Post
    WD40 is a cleaner
    Good question. I don't know. Welcome to DC.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

WD40 is a cleaner

No

User Info Menu

I've been using Vaseline for decades. My basic set of Ludwigs (1 up, 2 down) has had nothing but Vaseline put on the tension rods, plus I'll clean the lugs with a mascara brush, and after 40+ years, they loosen and tighten like they were brand new.

Stay away from WD-40.

User Info Menu

+1 on the Vaseline.

User Info Menu

I have a thing of vaseline just for tension rods.

I dip the threading and then twist it in a paper towel to make sure its just a thin layer. You don't need much to do the job.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

will using vaseline affect the drums ability to stay in tune?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j_bonturkey View Post
    I've used it for years with no ill-effect

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j_bonturkey View Post
    Yea it will improve it.

User Info Menu

Post Re: WD-40 is magic on tension rods

I restore old drums for a hobby and here's a routine that's served me well for over 40 years:

(1.)Take off the hoops and clean them inside and out with 0000 steel wool and Meguire's cleaner. Let them set up for a couple of hours and then buff them with clean polishing cloths.

(2.) Fill a bowl with warm water and add some Dawn dish washing fluid. Most dish washing fluids are excellent degreasers. Put the tension rods in the water and let them soak for about 30 minutes - 1 hour. Rinse the rods off thoroughly and dry with paper towels.

(3.) Wipe the bearing edges of the drum with clean clothes. Some people treat the edges of their wood snares with beeswax. I've never tried this so I can't say if it's a good idea or not.

(4.) Seat the new head on the shell and make sure that it sits on the bearing edges smoothly.

(6.) Place the shiny, fine looking hoop on the drum.

(7.) Once the rods are ready put some Vasoline on the tips of the threads and thread them into the tuning lugs. If the action is still rough you may want to back the rods out and check the inserts on the lugs.

(8.) Tune to taste and take that thing out for a ride.

I tried WD-40 once and it didn't last very long. I've had great luck with Vasoline and one jar lasts forever. The Meguire's is a great chrome cleaner and polish. It helps to protect the chrome. This is great for areas with high humidity and you can polish it later and the shine comes right back. I do this for all of my drums at least every 6 months or so.

User Info Menu

WD40 is a cleaner
    Probably depends on the heat output of the lights. You sure wouldn't want that stuff trickling out all over the stage and causing your mates to slid and slide!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Good ol' odorless instrument valve oil. It works wonders.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Probably depends on the heat output of the lights. You sure wouldn't want that stuff trickling out all over the stage and causing your mates to slid and slide!!

all the best...

Kay-Gee, If the lights are that hot, runny vaseline is not going to be your main problem.